R1200GS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
The fact that others have got there bike before the stop sale, and are at least able to ride until there is a resolution is what bugs me, Just let me sign a damn waiver and take my bike, fix it when they can. I am pretty sure others like myself would still ride the bike until a final resolution is available. I mean they are still selling these bikes in other countries with the exact same issue. Anyways that is just my opinion ;)

·
Registered
2020 R1250 GSA
3 Posts
I agree with you. Let us ride the damn things like those who already took delivery. It’s not a stop ride order, it’s a stop sale. Seems like the bikes that are actually being ridden are not having issues as those that sit. If they are going to replace the calipers anyway, why note deliver them and let us enjoy the bike!?!?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would have no problem signing a waiver and taking my bike home and riding it until they can get the parts in. My bike is paid for and sitting at the dealer and I can’t do anything but stop in and look at it.
I wonder if its BMW or the NHTSA that won’t let them sell the bikes. I would bet the dealers sure would like to be able to deliver the bikes. It has to be hard on their bottom line. What amazes me is nobody seems to know for sure when or how exactly this will be fixed.
For me the riding Season is still two months away but I sure do feel bad for the guys in warmer climates.

·
Registered
2020 R1250 GSA
3 Posts
I actually called NHTSA last week...they are quick to point the finger at BMW for not solving the issue by providing new parts that are compliant. Until BMW advises NHTSA that they have a solution (currently the official answer is “no current solution”) NHTSA will not lift the restrictions. Anyway you look at it, the consumer is the victim.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
77 Posts
Mine is now 1 week old. Looking at front Hayes calipers every day and touching around to see if there were any leaks. Still no problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have a 2020 HP with Hayes calipers and I actually like them better than the brembos on my R1200R. Smooth and strong. No leaks. As mentioned in previous post,BMW mechanic told me that from all the bikes he has inspected with the Hayes',the ones that tend to leak are the ones that sit around,the ones that are ridden often do not.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a deposit on a new GSA and still no word other than mid to late February before they receive the new calipers. At least I still have a bike to ride but sure hope they release it soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Word over on Adv.rider is dealers are starting to receive brake calipers in....hopefully people start getting calls to pick there bikes up...

·
Registered
172 Posts
In Europe, word is that, once again, only the USA will get the Brembo replacements...
BMW fear the US "I'll sue the hell out of you" mentality much more than the general passivity of the obedient Europeans...
We moan and complain on our blogs but do nothing at all... on the contrary, the worse we are treated by BMW, the more eager we are to buy a new bike from them... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Seems to be the Brembo's

·
Registered
58 Posts
My dealer has the replacement calipers in and I am picking up my new bike on Feb. 23rd. I was told they are Brembo's

·
Registered
172 Posts
I checked today with my Belgian dealer what the word was on the replacement of the Hayes front calipers by BREMBOS here in Europe.
His reply was : no news at all.
He wanted to know whether there is an official announcement in the USA about the generally applied exchange of the HAYES by BREMBO through the dealers.
Does any of you guys have knowledge of such an official announcement ?
All I can find on the internet are individual messages of recent buyers that their bike has become available at last after having gotten new replacement BREMBO calipers.
Since my own 2020 GS has been parked for several months in a row in our second home in France, which we cannot reach due to Covid19 measures, I fear that the Hayes calipers on my bike will start leaking too.
In that case I will demand a replacement by BREMBOS too, but then some official proof of this exchange in the USA would come in handy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I checked today with my Belgian dealer what the word was on the replacement of the Hayes front calipers by BREMBOS here in Europe.
He wanted to know whether there is an official announcement in the USA about the generally applied exchange of the HAYES by BREMBO through the dealers.
All I can find on the internet are individual messages of recent buyers that their bike has become available at last after having gotten new replacement BREMBO calipers.
Since my own 2020 GS has been parked for several months in a row in our second home in France, which we cannot reach due to Covid19 measures, I fear that the Hayes calipers on my bike will start leaking too.
In that case I will demand a replacement by BREMBOS too, but then some official proof of this exchange in the USA would come in handy...
RECALL REPORT: AUGUST 2020
Saturday, August 22, 2020 (1 COMMENTS)
Posted by: NHTSA/BMW of North America

BMW Motorcycles and the NHTSA announced recalls affecting braking and fuel systems on several thousand BMWs in the United States.
BRAKING SYSTEM RECALL AND STOP SALE ORDER
If you have one of the motorcycles on the list here, your front brake caliper may leak, degrading braking capabilities and possibly leading to a crash. Luckily, it seems as if the problem only occurs when the bikes are parked. Production dates for the affected motorcycles are from 27 August 2018 to 28 February 2020.
According to a dealer bulletin issued by BMW, "The front brake calipers may show slight sweat marks or isolated drops of brake fluid. Although this low-pressure leakage has been shown to have no effect on brake performance, BMW Motorrad is conducting a non-compliance recall to inspect each vehicle as the front brake calipers do not meet a Federal Regulation." This recall affects about 9,000 motorcycles.
This recall and stop sale order affects just over 9,000 motorcycles:
  • R 1250 GS, 2019-20
  • R 1250 GS Adventure, 2019-20
  • R 1250 RT, 2019-20
  • S 1000 RR, 2020
  • S 1000 XR, 2020
These motorcycles are currently under a stop sale order from BMW, and will likely remain so until dealers can inspect and repair the bikes; the recall officially starts on 6 October 2020.

·
Super Moderator
858 Posts
No mention of brand in govt recall announcement but if you go through the documents at the link below you may find something.

August 13, 2020NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V476000
Front Brake Calipers May Leak/FMVSS 122
Overtime, a leaking front brake caliper can reduce the amount of brake fluid in the reservoir. Low volume could affect brake performance, increasing the risk of crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V476000
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC, SERVICE BRAKES
Potential Number of Units Affected 9,392
Summary
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019-2020 R 1250 GS, GS Adventure and R 1250 RT, 2020 S 1000 RR and S 1000 XR motorcycles. The front brake calipers may leak brake fluid when parked. As such, these motorcycles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 122, "Motorcycle Brake Systems."
Remedy
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and if necessary, replace the front brake calipers with an improved version, free of charge. BMW issued owners an interim notification on October 12, 2020. As of January 19, 2021, a remedy was still not available. The recall is expected to begin in late February 2021. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts