R1200GS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
No mention of brand in govt recall announcement but if you go through the documents at the link below you may find something.

August 13, 2020NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V476000
Front Brake Calipers May Leak/FMVSS 122
Overtime, a leaking front brake caliper can reduce the amount of brake fluid in the reservoir. Low volume could affect brake performance, increasing the risk of crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V476000
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC, SERVICE BRAKES
Potential Number of Units Affected 9,392
Summary
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019-2020 R 1250 GS, GS Adventure and R 1250 RT, 2020 S 1000 RR and S 1000 XR motorcycles. The front brake calipers may leak brake fluid when parked. As such, these motorcycles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 122, "Motorcycle Brake Systems."
Remedy
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and if necessary, replace the front brake calipers with an improved version, free of charge. BMW issued owners an interim notification on October 12, 2020. As of January 19, 2021, a remedy was still not available. The recall is expected to begin in late February 2021. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Thanks guys for the swift replies.
I indeed found the document where the BREMBO brand is mentioned.
I already sent an update to my dealer and will keep you informed .

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
77 Posts
My bike was delivered to me 15 january 2021, brand new but with Hayes calipers. Dealer said there is no knowledge of different front calipers for European Union as Hayes calipers for US were built in american continent factory and Hayes calipers for EU were built in EU factory. So, those built in EU factory don't have a problem.
I find it hard to believe as there were some members here in this forum from EU with leaking calipers.
My bike is now one month old and still no leaks. Will wait and see.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My bike was delivered to me 15 january 2021, brand new but with Hayes calipers. Dealer said there is no knowledge of different front calipers for European Union as Hayes calipers for US were built in american continent factory and Hayes calipers for EU were built in EU factory. So, those built in EU factory don't have a problem.
I find it hard to believe as there were some members here in this forum from EU with leaking calipers.
My bike is now one month old and still no leaks. Will wait and see.
I think that all BMW GS are manufactured in Berlin, Germany and I’d be surprised if the ones for the US would get different brakes, made on the American continent.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
77 Posts
I think that all BMW GS are manufactured in Berlin, Germany and I’d be surprised if the ones for the US would get different brakes, made on the American continent.
Well, the Hayes factory is on US soil. But it's hard to believe that bikes are shipped without brakes to USA and then completed there. The only possible way was if there was BWW plant to assemble GS's in USA. Then maybe they could use US manufactured Hayes calipers. I don't know what to believe.
Hayes Factory Wikipedia
I still have to check my calipers every day for leaks,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, the Hayes factory is on US soil. But it's hard to believe that bikes are shipped without brakes to USA and then completed there. The only possible way was if there was BWW plant to assemble GS's in USA. Then maybe they could use US manufactured Hayes calipers. I don't know what to believe.
Hayes Factory Wikipedia
I still have to check my calipers every day for leaks,
All the BMW bikes in America are manufactured in Berlin same as any other country. The Hayes calipers are shipped from America to Berlin and attached when they are built. The stop sale because of the Hayes calipers is ONLY an issue in the united states as they did not pass a compliance check here in the US. The issue with Hayes has already been remedied and there is no longer an issue with them. The only issue now is Americans are whiney cry babies and are throwing a fit in order to get the Brembo's, hence the stop sale till they are replaced. I as an American would be more than happy to get my bike with the new Hayes calipers. The only thing all this crap Americans have done with the Hayes issue is delay me and others getting our bikes. I am still waiting to get my new GSA and it is torture.

·
Registered
172 Posts
All the BMW bikes in America are manufactured in Berlin same as any other country. The Hayes calipers are shipped from America to Berlin and attached when they are built. The stop sale because of the Hayes calipers is ONLY an issue in the united states as they did not pass a compliance check here in the US. The issue with Hayes has already been remedied and there is no longer an issue with them. The only issue now is Americans are whiney cry babies and are throwing a fit in order to get the Brembo's, hence the stop sale till they are replaced. I as an American would be more than happy to get my bike with the new Hayes calipers. The only thing all this crap Americans have done with the Hayes issue is delay me and others getting our bikes. I am still waiting to get my new GSA and it is torture.
It is a fact that the Hayes on my 1250 GS in France perform better than the Brembos on my 1200 GS in Belgium.
I only don’t want to worry about possible leaks on the Hayes...

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
77 Posts
I just noticed I will need to bleed the front brake. I feel I have a little air in the system as there is a big difference in squeezing distance of the lever first time in the morning and then after pumping the lever. For me that's good sign of some air.
I hope I don't have a leak. Lets see. However it should be normal that brakes needed bleeding in first 1000 miles. Maybe I'm just worried too much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Looks like's dealer are starting to deliver or letting people who already purchased bike's pick them up. Haven't seen anything official about the stop sale being lifted yet though. All bike's being released seem to have the Brembo's installed. I'm eagerly awaiting a call from my dealer.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
The interesting thing I noticed about the official stop sale order posted here was it was for bikes produced before Feb. 2020 and it was issued in August. There must have been another stop sale order because it is being applied to all bikes with Hayes brakes in the USA even the 2021 models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m picking mine up in the morning. I bought it a month ago. The new Brembo calipers were installed this week and it’s Cleared to come home!!

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I‘ve been waiting for my triple black GSA for months and was informed today it has been shipped and I should have it this week. Hopefully that’s accurate.
Do you know if they are coming with the Brembo's already installed or something the dealer has to swap out ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Coppertop, sorry you didn't the gift you really wanted....

·
Registered
39 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Coppertop, sorry you didn't the gift you really wanted....
Woooot Thank You, No not yet, But I am going to head to the dealer today and test ride one they have on the sales floor. Its an Ice Grey but Lowered version so do not want to buy it. I will Just keep waiting for mine. who knows maybe it will arrive today. I can dream ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
OMG OMG OMG OMG BEST BIRTHDAY EVER....... Just got the call, going to the dealer right now. they are going to let me open the crate. I will post pics when I can.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
OMG OMG OMG OMG BEST BIRTHDAY EVER....... Just got the call, going to the dealer right now. they are going to let me open the crate. I will post pics when I can.
Lol, wishes do come true...

81 - 100 of 103 Posts