R1200GS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep that's the dreaded 1250 rattle! But according to BMW it's not a issue?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
It’s the blasted resonance noise my previous blue GS suffered excessively from but without the blueish exhaust, however.
Are you running on high octane gas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
in my 1250 GSA the right exhaust header is completely blue7discolored, while the left one is still as new...different fuelling left/right?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
in my 1250 GSA the right exhaust header is completely blue7discolored, while the left one is still as new...different fuelling left/right?
I'm no mechanical engineer but if one exhaust is bluer than the other it indicates that it's getting hotter. Excessive heat will happen if the mixture is weak. Since modern fuelling systems have very little adjustment I guess the fuel injector is faulty and will need replacing, but I might be wrong.

This blue exhaust has nothing to do with 'the strange engine noise'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can send you a video clip that is distributed by BMW and one which I made myself and which was sent to BMW (I cannot put it on YouTube, however for privacy reasons).

Let me know your e-mail address by PM , so that I can send you a We-Transfer link.

Your BMW dealer is not telling the truth, by the way : BMW has sent a Puma to all dealers reg. this noise problem (which they consider present but harmless).
My BMW R1250GS Left Cylinder Noise / Ticking. Can you send me a video clip that is distributed by BMW and one which I made myself and which was sent to BMW.

Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My thought, exactly. Even mildly twisting the throttle in 6th at 50 MPH is a recipe for lugging the engine. I'd expect to hear nasty rattling. Downshift first. I'm more likely to be in 4th gear at 50 MPH than 6th.
Sorry but what you say is BS.
At 50 mph you can give it full throttle and there will be or should be no 'noise'.

What you guys are hearing is likely pre-ignition.
I will make a separate post about what has happened to my 1250GS

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Sorry but what you say is BS.
At 50 mph you can give it full throttle and there will be or should be no 'noise'.

What you guys are hearing is likely pre-ignition.
I will make a separate post about what has happened to my 1250GS
No, it's not pre ignition (pinking)! The R1250 boxer engine has been designed to run on poor quality petrol that one might find in the third world. Even when I use super unleaded it makes this strange engine noise when under light load.

I am rather intrigued as what has happened to your 1250GS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?
deleted post as thought it was referring to 1200 engine Doh!

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, it's not pre ignition (pinking)! The R1250 boxer engine has been designed to run on poor quality petrol that one might find in the third world. Even when I use super unleaded it makes this strange engine noise when under light load.

I am rather intrigued as what has happened to your 1250GS.
I will explain in more detail later but the NGK LMAR8AI-10 spark plugs BMW have fitted standard are too hot.
One plug had the Iridium tip fallen off as the base it was welded to burnt away. The other plug was half way to falling off. My friends 1250 at 12,000 kms has his Iridium tips half way to falling off. Local BMW dealer checked some plugs taken out of bike at 20K service and these plugs were also having the base burnt or eroded away under the Iridium tip.

NGK have confirmed the plugs are the wrong heat range from a discussion i had with them.

So, the engine suffers from pre-ignition as the plug tip temperature ignites the fuel mix prior to the plug firing. There is nothing the ECU/knock sensor can do to manage or prevent this from happening.

I am now running a LMAR9AI-10 for 1500 kms and problem seems to have been solved. Still get the occasional occurrence of pinging/knock (not pre-ignition) but the ECU/knock sensor seem to be doing their thing by retarding the ignition or whatever it does and limits the mild pinging/knocking to a duration of 1 second then it goes away and mostly does not ping for the rest of the day.

Pics to follow.

With the stock LMAR8AI-10 there is no way you can use 91RON as the pre-ignition is relentless, made worse by the lower octane rating. Engine destroying.
I have yet to try 91RON with the colder plugs and may for interest but will continue with 95RON as minimum.

IMO, BMW have fucked up selecting the LMAR8AI-10 unless riding in 0C degrees. Shame on them.

Check your spark plugs is my suggestion to see if they are running too hot..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #275 (Edited)
Wow! This certainly shines a new light on this 'strange engine noise' issue. How can a major motorcycle manufacturer like BMW get something so basically wrong and, more to the point, not carry out a recall to fit the the correct spark plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish to qualify my previous comment in that from my observations, experience, especially with this issue with my 1250, knowledge, together with lots of recent extensive www research, logic, NGK confirming that the plugs are running too hot and seeing degradation of other 1250 spark plug Iridium tips at 12,000 kms, i can only conclude that the 'sound' i was hearing was pre-ignition as a result of plug tips running way too hot.
A bore-scope look at the piston top in the cylinder with the dud plug showed a bare patch of carbon free piston top. Not good but told by dealer it is OK, no damage. Hmmmm........
And, so far, the 'sound' i was hearing before has gone and now with the colder plugs, replaced by a infrequent, lower intensity rattle lasting 1 second.
At 10K kms i intend to pull the plugs and have a look. Iridium plugs last 100K kms + in cars and should last well beyond 20K kms in the 1250 engine. Not fall apart at 13K kms. My gut feeling is, the way the engine is running atm, the plugs will look OK. 🤞

·
Registered
8 Posts
BMW 1250GS NGK LMAR8AI-10 spark plug with Iridium tip fallen off or burnt away from running too hot.

BMW 1250GS NGK LMAR8AI-10 spark plug with Iridium tip falling off as core base under tip eroding away due to running too hot.

New NGK Iridium plug tip

Spark plug from 2017 1200GS used for 20,000 kms.
Compare this at 20,000 kms compared to the Iridium plugs above from 1250 engines.
Someone in BMW has got something wrong with the tuning of the 1250 engine imo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I will be definitely pulling my plugs for a look when I get home. The bike has 16000 on it and I believe it is still running the original plugs? It does have the dreaded 1250 rattle but I think I have got used to it now. I did get bmw to note my concern on it's service file for its 10000 service. If it is denotation I will be pursuing it vigorously with BMW. Years ago I had a brand new mercury 200hp outbound and it was eating platinum plugs around every 30 engine hours. Mercury denied there was a issue. Low and behold after about 6mths they did a recall and changed out the ecu on that model and the plug issue was no longer! My gut feeling is bmw know there is a issue but aren't acknowledging at the present time. Ford recently got ripped a new one for trying to fob off customers with the focus gearbox issue. The regulator fined them $10 million and directed them to put it right. Now they are going after several other brands who haven't provided a fit for purpose product. A lot of these big organisations will deny it until it starts to damage their reputation hoping the consumer will just go away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine is 7000km on odo and 10 months old.
the sound is only heard while the engine is warm and in the idle

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be definitely pulling my plugs for a look when I get home. The bike has 16000 on it and I believe it is still running the original plugs? It does have the dreaded 1250 rattle but I think I have got used to it now. I did get bmw to note my concern on it's service file for its 10000 service. If it is denotation I will be pursuing it vigorously with BMW. Years ago I had a brand new mercury 200hp outbound and it was eating platinum plugs around every 30 engine hours. Mercury denied there was a issue. Low and behold after about 6mths they did a recall and changed out the ecu on that model and the plug issue was no longer! My gut feeling is bmw know there is a issue but aren't acknowledging at the present time. Ford recently got ripped a new one for trying to fob off customers with the focus gearbox issue. The regulator fined them $10 million and directed them to put it right. Now they are going after several other brands who haven't provided a fit for purpose product. A lot of these big organisations will deny it until it starts to damage their reputation hoping the consumer will just go away.

Please report back what you find.
Preferable with pictures

Note: detonation is not pre-ignition. Detonation is: Engine knocking - Wikipedia
Whereas pre-ignition is: Pre-ignition - Wikipedia
I am certain my 1250 engine and my friends 1250 are/were suffering from pre-ignition from spark plugs operating way too hot and the ECU had no way of correcting this as adjusting timing, fuel mix etc would have little to no effect.

I am currently using the colder LMAR9AI-10 and a ride yesterday resulted in some mild detonation on exiting three slight uphill corners some 60 seconds into the ride . The engine was at operating temps as i had ridden 5kms on level ground at 60 kph to meet fellow riders. And exiting the corner is simply slowly rolling on the throttle with a very small increase in throttle opening. Thereafter, no more pinging heard for remainder of the ride, even as the ambient temps went up to mid 30C degrees and even later when riding in heavy traffic with the engine water temp showing 100C at traffic lights.
I am finding any pinging i hear now with the colder plugs occurs the first time any load is placed on the engine from the start of the ride once the engine is at operating temp.
Possibly the ECU is taking note of the pinging and adjusts timing, fueling etc and mains this adjustment for the day.
If so, it is working as it should and is not being over-ridden by spark plugs that are too hot causing pre-ignition.

If there is in fact an issue with a batch of NGK plugs provided to BMW or the plugs BMW have chosen are the wrong heat range or the ECU tune is fundamentally wrong, unless there is a world wide issue and engines start crapping themselves, BMW will likely never admit it and take positive, pro-active action. So sad.

261 - 280 of 301 Posts