R1200GS Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine is 7000km on odo and 10 months old.
the sound is only heard while the engine is warm and in the idle
These engines, like the 1200, are very noisy. Fantastic power, torque and drive-ability but totally suck in the agricultural mechanical sound they make. What i am hearing is not pre-ignition or detonation. My engine makes similar sounds and is possibly valve/tappet clatter and maybe more internal stuff like clutch & gearbox.
Interestingly my lhs cylinder seems louder & worse than the rhs. Must be a BMW thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gentlemen, I would like to "stick my nose" in this thread. I believe this issue may be an ignition timing/knock sensor & or a fuel mapping issue. If it were a throttle/butterfly oscillating. A different air filter (K&N) may affect that issue and one would hear a different noise. I think throttle butterfly oscillation would affect performance and you would feel it in your butt. Also, remember that OEM's have had challenges in meeting emission requirements which has meant remapping ECU's. IF, one could get the dealer to put their scan/diagnostic tool on the engine and see what the timing is, how much it is advancing on acceleration, what the knock senor is cycling at, and also see what the fuel system is doing, they could isolate the cause. An air fuel ratio can also be measured, and if nothing else...install a different ECU. I think that I would try encouraging the dealer to spend time (=$$$) to be the "Hero" and figure out what is actually occurring. While I get that BMW folks are the experts, I have seen time and time again where OEM's are not inclined to solve problems. As has been stated, one often hears, "No one else has this problem".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would your interesting approach also explain why some bikes suffer more from this phenomenon than others ?
I admit that most fellow riders don’t even hear the strange noise their own GS makes , nor the one which is clearly audible in some video fragments, which leads me to believe that ALL 1250 boxer engines produce this noise... to some degree !
Hence my question : why did my previous R1250GS (2019 model) make a real bothersome noise both in frequency and volume, whereas my present 2020 series R1250GS makes this noise at different RPM and at a much lower, almost unobtrusive, volume ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Slijkie, Based on what I am hearing from you guys, and when you seem to say that the 2020 has the issue to a lesser degree in a different RPM range, that lead me to think that it could be the ECU mapping, something that is normally tweaked from year to year, if not during a model year. Also, folks just hear thinks differently. Clearly I am being somewhat bold here, diagnosis over the internet, and not having heard the engines, but I believe you folks are very astute and describe the issue well. I first thought that the intake system could have been, or is the cause, but I feel like the mechanical noise and no mention of performance issues rules that out in my mind. Hey, I could be way off base, but the dealers have the equipment to begin eliminating potential causes in order to find the cause. All the best to you. Fred

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your trouble, diesel3446,
I have been harassing my dealer with regard to my previous, loud GS and I know he has been testing his own demo bikes at his own costs, but to no avail.
For BMW EUROPE the matter is “resolved” since their general message to all their dealers reg. the butterfly valve resonance ...which would be “harmless”, and which is utter BS, in my view.
BMW Europe also claim they have tried to remediate it, ”but every remedy came down to an increase of the emissions level and/or a decrease of performance”.
End of story for them AND for their dealers.
So I really doubt it very much if any dealer strives to be a hero at his own expenses, thus putting BMW to shame for which they won’t be very grateful, I fear...

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I pulled the plugs and they didn't look too bad for 16000k! Just for a comparison I have fitted a set of LMAR9AI-10 to see if there is any noticeable difference?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
2019 R1250GSA-HP
2 Posts
I have been experiencing the same noise as the OP in my R1250GSA. It happens in all gears, at all air temperatures, at all altitudes, and at all engine temperatures. I believe the problem is preignition pinging, and is caused by BMW caving to the EPA types and making the engine run way too lean.
The sound mine makes can be described as the engine gargling marbles, and occurs anytime below 4,000 rpm in all gears. The problem might be happening above 4,000 rpm but by then the wind noise has mostly drowned out the pinging. Also, my exhaust pipes from the engine to the exhaust valve are quite discolored, indicating exhaust gases overheating. I have seen a few other bikes with the discolored pipes, but most have normal color.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Might be time to get it on the dyno to see what really is then we would have actual hard data is to back to the Germans with!

·
Registered
363 Posts
So I pulled the plugs and they didn't look too bad for 16000k! Just for a comparison I have fitted a set of LMAR9AI-10 to see if there is any noticeable difference?

Wow, on my 2015 gs, my plugs have never looked like yours. Never that much black color. Even after 24k miles...

·
Registered
4 Posts

Do you a fuel additive?

What grade of fuel do you use? Do you a fuel additive?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am new to the BMW motorcycles and it sounds like something is loose in the heads but the mechanic assured me it is..NORMAL?!?!?!?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
When I started this thread 11 months ago I didn't think it would get over 30,000 views and nearly 300 replies. What's odd is that despite all these contributions there is no definitive diagnosis as to what is causing this 'strange engine noise'. My own 1250GS has now done over 12,000 miles and it still makes the same noise but I now try to ignore it and pretend that it a characteristic of the bike. Since it hasn't got worse I assume, rightly or wrongly, that it is not a mechanical problem but an acknowledgment and explanation of this noise from BMW Motorrad would be much appreciated. Sadly, like the Mary Celeste, this mystery will probably never be solved.

·
Registered
32 Posts

So I don't know if it's my imagination or not but I'm pretty sure this thing has lost 95% of the rattle when accelerating from lower revs? I will give it a few more kms and pull the plugs to see how they are running!

281 - 296 of 296 Posts