R1200GS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been keeping track of this thread since picking up my R1250GS last October and also noticing the horrible engine noise which started at about 500kms. I couldn't help but get excited when I read the thread regarding plug temps, so ordered in a set and gave it a go. Unfortunately, no luck.? Still bloody noisy, although mine is very prevalent at higher ambient temps (>27c) and oil temps. I'm wanting to drop out the oil and try a heavier grade Motul 7100 or Shell Advance but want to get a few more kms to send the oil away for test.
I also have a very ticky left bank tappet noise at idle. Of course dealer said it's normal.It goes away when above idle.
They did recommend though a Subaru engine Fuel Conditioner as they have been getting bikes in with fouled fuel systems. Coming across from Triumph, I wasn't expecting this......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?
Yes have also noticed that @ Odometer 4500km

·
Registered
81 Posts
Over discussed I know, but these rattles and the amplified tire noise are still grating after a year of failed experiments and now trying to tolerate. Maybe it’s just age but the C650GT’s starting to look good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Over discussed I know, but these rattles and the amplified tire noise are still grating after a year of failed experiments and now trying to tolerate. Maybe it’s just age but the C650GT’s starting to look good.
I now put this strange engine noise down to ’character‘ in the same way Ducati owners with dry clutches describe the horrendous rattle coming from the clutch as character (many drill holes in the cover to make even more noise). Since it‘s not getting any louder after 13,000 miles I am no longer concerned that something untoward will happen to the engine.

I would think twice about getting a C650. It is extremely expensive to service. I would recommend a Suzuki Burgervan!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?
Hello guys,

I have owned various BMW bikes over the years and in 2017 I bought a brand new GS1200 Adventure bike which I was extremely happy with, even though I was disappointed when all such bikes were recalled in order to fix a fault which had been identified in their fork. I recently also managed to fulfil a long-standing dream of mine to acquire a stunning BMW Z3 M coupé.

When the new model of my GS1200 was released at the beginning of 2019, after only a few years in production, I decided to upgrade before the market value of the previous model was affected. In fact, I immediately purchased one and, 5 months after (production waiting time), I became the proud owner of the first GS1250 Adventure in the country I m residing. However, my experience with the GS1250, so far, has been rather disappointing, to say the least, and this is causing me to seriously reconsider my former high impression of BMW.

6 days after I received the new GS1250, I completed the running-in (1000km) and took it to the local agent for the First service. I informed the garage of a rattling metal noise that I had observed once the bike reached a certain number of revs. For few times they tried to convince me that there was no noise or that it was a "normal" resonance sound coming from the front plastic pieces. Unfortunately for them, I am a bike connoisseur and owned already another GS1200 Adventure (bought new from the same dealer) which never had any tickling sound coming from the engine. I obviously could not accept this reply and insisted that they should have identified from where it was coming the rattling noise of my new GS1250 (only 6 days old).

This time around I was informed that the rattle was due to a missing spring in the camshaft. After being informed, I went to the garage to see the state of play of my bike and realised that the engine cover had been opened and, to replace the faulty part, it was necessary to purge the engine from oil and disassemble part of it. I therefore asked the local agent to stop their work on my bike until further instruction from my side. I was not happy at all with the idea that a brand new motorbike, which cost me more then €30000, has already had its engine opened, dismantled and worked upon.

I have immediately filed a complaint to BMW Germany to express my disappointment to pay for a brand new bike that only after 6 days of its delivery resulted in having an issue in the engine. I never received any answer from BMW Germany neither from the local agent who was not replying to my emails and phone calls. After having waited few months for their reaction, I didn’t have choice but to hire a lawyer to assist me for the case. In the meantime, regardless of my request not to work upon the engine of my bike, the local agent decided, without informing me, to buy the parts, replace them with the defective ones and reassemble the engine.

Up to now I have been deprived of the use of my bike for 10 (whilst continuing to pay monthly instalments) and my brand new bike (6 days of usage, 1000KM) is still at the BMW garage. At this point, I am not happy to have back the bike I purchased because it is now repaired (not the new one for which I am still paying) and almost 1 year old.

To reinforce their intimidating and abusive behaviour, the local agent recently sent me an invoice asking me to pay €2000 for the storage of the bike in their garage.

I can definitively confirm that some the new GS1250 have camshaft problems which unfortunately degenerates over time, creating considerable damage to the engine.

I would appreciate very much if other GS1250 owners who are experiencing the same rattling/tickling noise coming from the right side of the engine, could share their story.

Thank you very much for your time and support,
….a former BMW enthusiast

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exactly same disturbing noise problems fm the 1st day for my 2019 R1250 GS HP. Any reply from BMW Germany. I wish this noise will not damage the engine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Your dealer diagnosed the cause of your rattle as being a missing spring. They obviously were more than happy to rectify the problem so am somewhat confused as to why you would reject the bike. At least you know the cause of your bike‘s rattle unlike most contributors to this thread. All motorcycle manufactures have quality issues every now and then and there is no reason why your bike will not be ‘as new‘ after rectification. Since BMW motorcycles have a three year unlimited mileage warranty,there will be plenty of time to check that if everything is OK going forward.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Indeed, it is true that the spring shouldn't have been missing from the start, but you only rode 1.000 kms with the bike in this condition.
Your dealer was prepared to fix the issue immediately under warranty.
But by bluntly prohibiting your dealer to remedy the fault , lacking any solid indication that riding for 1.000 kms without the missing spring risked causing any damage to the engine, I fear you have jeopardized your legal position .
Remember : as a principle, your dealer is your sole contractual counterparty and you have no legal relationship with BMW GERMANY at all.
In your case, I would have made a written reservation towards your dealer for future reference, as to the EVENTUAL/POSSIBLE (but not proven) damage which might have been caused to the engine by the lacking spring, by which the engine then should be warranted for a couple of extra years beyond the conventional warranty of 3 years.
Then, after being thus fixed, I would check if the bike still made strange clicking noises or developed any other strange behaviour; if not, you would have been covered and riding a wonderful bike since almost a year.
Compared to your actual situation that would have been preferable in my view.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, I'm an oil head rider, and don't know what I'm talking about. I'm sympathetic to you all and have watched the video several times. I have a vintage Honda Hawk NT650GT that came with California emissions equipment on it, and it did the same little "pop" at various times. The air injection leaned everything out for a moment. Yes, yes, I know the 1250s are an entirely different motorcycle. But my guess is there a program in the BMW system that deliberately cuts fuel delivery for a split second, resulting in that lean "pop". Perhaps it is there to help emissions, or perhaps to cut engine power at the critical moment of the VTEC shift. Is there a prize for guessing right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
my engine is currently at the dealer and disassembled. the only thing they noticed was that the valve was a little nodding. waiting for directions from germany.

I found this now

·
Registered
81 Posts
I now put this strange engine noise down to ’character‘ in the same way Ducati owners with dry clutches describe the horrendous rattle coming from the clutch as character (many drill holes in the cover to make even more noise). Since it‘s not getting any louder after 13,000 miles I am no longer concerned that something untoward will happen to the engine.

I would think twice about getting a C650. It is extremely expensive to service. I would recommend a Suzuki Burgervan!!
Had me laughing! The Burgervan sounds like my local food truck. Pretty good burgers and a darn sight quiter.
Over the weekend we had my 1250Gs, a shiny new Multistrada, KTM 790 adventure and BMW XR around some mountain roads, and smooth twisties. Not much in it between the GS and Multistrada. But the Multistrada way quieter, no irritating tire noise, more comfortable and raw fun feel to it. Serious alternative to the Burgervan.

301 - 320 of 338 Posts