R1200GS Forum banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Had me laughing! The Burgervan sounds like my local food truck. Pretty good burgers and a darn sight quiter.
Over the weekend we had my 1250Gs, a shiny new Multistrada, KTM 790 adventure and BMW XR around some mountain roads, and smooth twisties. Not much in it between the GS and Multistrada. But the Multistrada way quieter, no irritating tire noise, more comfortable and raw fun feel to it. Serious alternative to the Burgervan.
Sorry to bust your bubble but I had the misfortune to own a Ducrapi Mulistresser 1200 back in 2010. By far the most unreliable and troublesome motorcycle I have ever owned. I could write a book about all the problems. 18 months of my life I will never get back!!!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
New to my 1250 I I'm wondering how you would know a sound was weird? lol! Man this thing gurgles, whines, wizzes and growns like nothing I ever rode. Technically I think it's the intake runners exposed as well as the valves sticking out the side of the engine - these are usually covered and well away from your ears. Emotionally, I think it's kind of funny and a part of the charm! I'm not minimizing the issues you all are posting, thanks for being attentive to the bikes and maybe identifying a real issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
warm up the engine for a few minutes. video record the left and right cylinder and put it here and I'll tell you.
I was informed that the whole head of the left cylinder was being changed.actually waiting for parts from Germany(fck you virus)

this is my bike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
warm up the engine for a few minutes. video record the left and right cylinder and put it here and I'll tell you.
I was informed that the whole head of the left cylinder was being changed.actually waiting for parts from Germany(fck you virus)

this is my bike
Something definitely wrong when one cylinder makes more noise than the other but it is not the noise this thread has been discussing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 19 has a mechanical rattle, legitimately sounds like a piece of metal bouncing around under the tank towards the front fork area. It's prevalent under initial load then gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried different oil viscosity? eg Shell Advance 15w-50 to see how the noise is affected/reduced (or not)? In Aus we don't get the cold temps like many parts of the Northern hemi.

·
Super Awesom Person
526 Posts
Has anyone tried different oil viscosity? eg Shell Advance 15w-50 to see how the noise is affected/reduced (or not)? In Aus we don't get the cold temps like many parts of the Northern hemi.
That would be an excellent idea. My buddy ran Motul 300V 15W-50 in his 2018 RT in Hawaii and said it worked very well. The engine was much quieter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! What a noise! There is something seriously wrong with that engine. My R1250GS sounds like a sewing machine in comparison.

The strange engine noise I refer to is only apparent on the move when the engine is under slight load.
I just bought a 2019 1250gs and am experiencing the same irritating noise Maturerider is describing from 3500 rpm to 6000 rpm when accelerating at highway speeds. I thought perhaps my Vario side case on the exhaust side was causing an echo vibration, but hear the same sound without them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
I can no longer hear this strange engine noise on my R1250 GS???? I suspect it’s because I have stopped riding it due to this Chinese Virus (let’s cut the crap and call it what it is). Stuck at home. Although it’s acceptable to ride to get food, medicine and go to work I don’t want to risk binning the bike and end up in a over stretched hospital and then almost certainly get infected with this aforementioned Chinese Virus.

Roll on 2023 (?) when things might start to get back to normal.

Keep safe.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I get your feeling but at home you can also trip and fall and end up in a hospital... so I do still ride (if work related, it is still allowed in Belgium, where very strict measures were ordered by the government way earlier than in the UK).
Due to the fact that trafic is much sparser than before I figure (and hope) that chances to get involved in a road accident are slimmer too.
The infection curve is recently stabilized , so one may hope that we can look forward to a slight and slow improvement of the crisis (in the UK you started later).
I am not optimistic by nature but one should grasp every positive note in the daily news to prevent oneself to tumble into a depression.
Anyhow this pandemic has teached me one thing : one shouldn't sweat the small stuff... if my GS still makes strange noises in the future, but we are able to live normally again, I won't care anymore... that's what I promised myself.
Keep healthy in the meantime, folks !

·
Registered
2 Posts
It makes the same noise when accelerating from 50mph in 4th, 5th or 6th!!!

Been doing some more research. Read a road test report where the author referred to a 'whirring mechanical sound'. This might be what I'm hearing. Could be a characteristic of the 1250 engine.

Matter of interest - does anyone on this Forum have a R1250GS? Perhaps there's a clue in the name, BMW R1200GS Forum?
I do have a 2019 1250GS, no strange noise, the cam shift is once on the way through 4000-5000 RPM and once on the way down. otherwise smooth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had the cooler heat range spark plugs fitted for some time now. I really if at all hear the dreaded 1250 rattle any more?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the loud engine ticking on idle (when hot - left side) and the really obvious pinking on my r1250gsa. I had the right-hand camshaft replaced to fix the ticking on the left: no change. Changed the oil to Motul 7100 10W50 and the ticking is definitely muted when hot. This oil maintains its viscosity at higher temperatures and the ester helps the cold starting apparently. I think the standard BMW oil isn't great and was really old looking when I drained it at 3000 miles. I think it's semi-synth 5W40. Great for sub-zero starting and no town riding where it just gets too hot and degraded. Engine feels much smoother so oil was definitely knackered.

For the pinking I have changed the plugs to one cooler but I haven't tested that yet. When I pulled the plugs, I noticed some erosion on both.

·
Registered
131 Posts
According to my dealer it is full synthetic oil 5W40.
Since the mineral riding in oil, wich is thicker, was replaced at 1.000 kms (600 miles), the pinking noise has become louder, as well as the mechanical rattle which has become so common since the GS engine changed to liquid cooling in 2013.
But once again, I refuse to become upset anymore by it... if the confinement measures which prevent me now from taking my GS to its habitat in Southern France are ever lifted, I'll ride it with an enormous smile on my face ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys,

I have owned various BMW bikes over the years and in 2017 I bought a brand new GS1200 Adventure bike which I was extremely happy with, even though I was disappointed when all such bikes were recalled in order to fix a fault which had been identified in their fork. I recently also managed to fulfil a long-standing dream of mine to acquire a stunning BMW Z3 M coupé.

When the new model of my GS1200 was released at the beginning of 2019, after only a few years in production, I decided to upgrade before the market value of the previous model was affected. In fact, I immediately purchased one and, 5 months after (production waiting time), I became the proud owner of the first GS1250 Adventure in the country I m residing. However, my experience with the GS1250, so far, has been rather disappointing, to say the least, and this is causing me to seriously reconsider my former high impression of BMW.

6 days after I received the new GS1250, I completed the running-in (1000km) and took it to the local agent for the First service. I informed the garage of a rattling metal noise that I had observed once the bike reached a certain number of revs. For few times they tried to convince me that there was no noise or that it was a "normal" resonance sound coming from the front plastic pieces. Unfortunately for them, I am a bike connoisseur and owned already another GS1200 Adventure (bought new from the same dealer) which never had any tickling sound coming from the engine. I obviously could not accept this reply and insisted that they should have identified from where it was coming the rattling noise of my new GS1250 (only 6 days old).

This time around I was informed that the rattle was due to a missing spring in the camshaft. After being informed, I went to the garage to see the state of play of my bike and realised that the engine cover had been opened and, to replace the faulty part, it was necessary to purge the engine from oil and disassemble part of it. I therefore asked the local agent to stop their work on my bike until further instruction from my side. I was not happy at all with the idea that a brand new motorbike, which cost me more then €30000, has already had its engine opened, dismantled and worked upon.

I have immediately filed a complaint to BMW Germany to express my disappointment to pay for a brand new bike that only after 6 days of its delivery resulted in having an issue in the engine. I never received any answer from BMW Germany neither from the local agent who was not replying to my emails and phone calls. After having waited few months for their reaction, I didn’t have choice but to hire a lawyer to assist me for the case. In the meantime, regardless of my request not to work upon the engine of my bike, the local agent decided, without informing me, to buy the parts, replace them with the defective ones and reassemble the engine.

Up to now I have been deprived of the use of my bike for 10 (whilst continuing to pay monthly instalments) and my brand new bike (6 days of usage, 1000KM) is still at the BMW garage. At this point, I am not happy to have back the bike I purchased because it is now repaired (not the new one for which I am still paying) and almost 1 year old.

To reinforce their intimidating and abusive behaviour, the local agent recently sent me an invoice asking me to pay €2000 for the storage of the bike in their garage.

I can definitively confirm that some the new GS1250 have camshaft problems which unfortunately degenerates over time, creating considerable damage to the engine.

I would appreciate very much if other GS1250 owners who are experiencing the same rattling/tickling noise coming from the right side of the engine, could share their story.

Thank you very much for your time and support,
….a former BMW enthusiast
Hi :)
Funny how your story sounds so similar to mine. New 1250, engine noises, dealership saying "they are running in noises". I am pretty sure it all started with a ticking right cylinder and gradually progressed to a point where under acceleration (at any speed) the knocking from the engine was unmistakable. The noise coming from the engine had become so loud that a fellow rider could hear the noises whilst riding beside me at 100 KPH. Strangely enough the dealership could never hear it (possibly the mechanics had developed some form of industrial deafness due to the nature of their work) :):) I decided to take it further and contacted BMW Australia and CC'd the dealership. To my surprise NOT A WORD in reply from BMW. I had explained in my letter to BMW ( just to show I was an avid BMW user) that I was also the owner of several BMW cars including a number of M Series. A substantial amount of money spent on their products I thought. Obviously not according to BMW Australia. Not so much as "We received you email" After a couple of weeks went back to the dealership. It is possible that they decided to help me themselves, although I got the feeling that BMW Australia gave them the directive to see if they could find the issue, without ( BMA Australia) appearing to be involved. A long drawn out process of measuring, adjusting and swapping of parts. The latest of which was a change of heads (had to come from Germany) Two weeks later they arrived but didn't fito_O So once again we wait for another set to arrive. The result is that the bike has lost the knocking but not necessarily the ticking from the right side. Unable to really venture out for a good ride at these unfortunate times I haven't really had the chance to see the full result. However over the 300k's or so that I have ridden I am not convinced that it is fixed.In all the bike has been in for repair approx 4 months of the nine I have owned it. I guess that helps keep the milage down :) In fairness I believe the Dealership may have had my interests at heart but possibly had their hands tied on what they could and couldn't say. I read the forums often but never really contribute. It was just that your tale sounded so familiar.
Take care :)

321 - 335 of 335 Posts