R1200GS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi :)
Funny how your story sounds so similar to mine. New 1250, engine noises, dealership saying "they are running in noises". I am pretty sure it all started with a ticking right cylinder and gradually progressed to a point where under acceleration (at any speed) the knocking from the engine was unmistakable. The noise coming from the engine had become so loud that a fellow rider could hear the noises whilst riding beside me at 100 KPH. Strangely enough the dealership could never hear it (possibly the mechanics had developed some form of industrial deafness due to the nature of their work) :):) I decided to take it further and contacted BMW Australia and CC'd the dealership. To my surprise NOT A WORD in reply from BMW. I had explained in my letter to BMW ( just to show I was an avid BMW user) that I was also the owner of several BMW cars including a number of M Series. A substantial amount of money spent on their products I thought. Obviously not according to BMW Australia. Not so much as "We received you email" After a couple of weeks went back to the dealership. It is possible that they decided to help me themselves, although I got the feeling that BMW Australia gave them the directive to see if they could find the issue, without ( BMA Australia) appearing to be involved. A long drawn out process of measuring, adjusting and swapping of parts. The latest of which was a change of heads (had to come from Germany) Two weeks later they arrived but didn't fito_O So once again we wait for another set to arrive. The result is that the bike has lost the knocking but not necessarily the ticking from the right side. Unable to really venture out for a good ride at these unfortunate times I haven't really had the chance to see the full result. However over the 300k's or so that I have ridden I am not convinced that it is fixed.In all the bike has been in for repair approx 4 months of the nine I have owned it. I guess that helps keep the milage down :) In fairness I believe the Dealership may have had my interests at heart but possibly had their hands tied on what they could and couldn't say. I read the forums often but never really contribute. It was just that your tale sounded so familiar.
Take care :)
TROLL MUCH?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have read every post in this long saga of engine noises with interest..........and while you may not have won a fix to your problems with BMW, I want to tell you that you have had a significant victory for the common man........I am that common man.
I am in the market for an additional bike to my KTM Super Duke R.....an Adventure Tourer so that my wife can pillion with me.
I have checked out in great detail BMW R1250GS, KTM Super Adventure, Kawasaki Verysys 1000SE and Triumph Tiger Explorer.....I have had 3 BMW's in the last 14 years (LT, RT and R) as well as 5 other brands.
I finally concluded that the BMW R1250GS was the prefered bike.....that is, until I read your sorry saga and lack of response from BMW.........
I can now say that as a direct result of your posts ..... I will NOT be buying a BMW R1250GS......or, for that matter any BMW bike.
I will now go back to my 2 equal second bikes on my list ....Versys 1000SE (totally reliable, high quality and very capable) and KTM Super Adventure S (exciting and powerful....abeit with some software problems).
I am sorry for those who aren't happy with their R1250 GS and wish you all well in your endeavours to get BMW to own up to their responsibilities and fix your concerns.
It seems to me that you all need to form a consortium and together publish your concerns (from around the world) and send them to BMW and each of your Dealers......fighting a giant like BMW (and their Dealers) by yourselves is useless (as you have found).............
Big business values their reputations as it costs them big $$$'s to market themselves..........you have already made a small dent in their earnings as I won't be buying a BMW......

Thank you for opening my eyes...............good luck !!!!
TROLL MUCH?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi New here and new to BMW motorcycles.
I've only got about 350miles on my new 2020 1250, and the first few days I heared a noise that I first thought was the center stand bouncing every now and then....it has since diminished to the point that I no longer hear the 'clang' at all....but def still getting used to the BMW 'rattle'.....which I put somewhere in between a Well tuned Harley and a well tuned Honda. Def will take some getting used to. I think a lot of 'new' 1250 or BMW owners will not hear it since it is quite a unique sounding engine, and unless you have the experience and know the boxer....you'll just chalk it up to 'normal' boxer sounds.

Reactions: les1250gsa

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just did the 600 mile oil change and fastener torque check on my 2020 GSA. I'll be riding south this weekend and see if things have quieted down since the break in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m going back to semi synthetic oil in the next change. The rattle is louder now it has synthetic oil in it after the 600 mile service.
It sounds like it’s self destructing at idle maybe some 90 weight oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?
My engine on my NEW 1250 gs Adventure developed a very loud knocking sound under load and full temp. I took it to the dealer and it is now getting a new motor. Apparently, there was a LOT of metal in the oil pan. They checked with the factory back and forth to find a cause and decided on installing a replacement motor. I would suggest you take your machine to the dealer and have them listen to it and check the oil pan. If there is metal, there is something in the motor that being torn apart. The bike has not been ridden hard or been cared for. Mine had just 11, 678 miles on it under warranty. I took it in for the 12K service which they did first so they could get paid. I told them I was not paying for a service done on a motor that is being replaced. They agreed. I still don't have any idea what the problem was but at least it is being taken care of. Next I will check the brakes for mushiness and possibly adjust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out of interest have any of you people with the engine noise sent in an oil sample to check the wear metal status??
I am new to these engines and bit concerned with the mechanical symphony :confused: I should add my previous life was heavy equipment and a decade of oil analysis....

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hi New here and new to BMW motorcycles.
I've only got about 350miles on my new 2020 1250, and the first few days I heared a noise that I first thought was the center stand bouncing every now and then....it has since diminished to the point that I no longer hear the 'clang' at all....but def still getting used to the BMW 'rattle'.....which I put somewhere in between a Well tuned Harley and a well tuned Honda. Def will take some getting used to. I think a lot of 'new' 1250 or BMW owners will not hear it since it is quite a unique sounding engine, and unless you have the experience and know the boxer....you'll just chalk it up to 'normal' boxer sounds.
This happens on my 1200 also when I go over a bump

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
warm up the engine for a few minutes. video record the left and right cylinder and put it here and I'll tell you.
I was informed that the whole head of the left cylinder was being changed.actually waiting for parts from Germany(fck you virus)

this is my bike
Firstly I wanted to thank you for posting the video, this whole discussion has helped me to gauge if there is a real problem or not with mine.

My new 2020 1250GS (5 weeks old) also makes the same noise (more on the left than right but I dont think that's important based on the findings). Its a ticking rather than the "knocking" of some other videos posted. It sounds exactly like this video. After reading the thread, I decided to put the bike into the dealers MC Oslo for a check, mostly because it puts the issue on the record for guarantee.

While waiting for the appointment I deliberately checked out other 1250GS (they sell many and those riders pop by time to time for the shop), I find that many have the same noise. This is not to say, they all do it, be calm, simply to state a lot make the sound when hot and put my issue into perspective.

Im writing now because the bike had its check on Friday and there is a conclusion which is useful for everyone here with the same sound.

The mechanic confirmed the exhaust cam has too much movement perpendicular to the shaft. So when looking at the head, exhuast cam on the bottom, movement left to right is ok and normal (according to him), but up and down is not. I stood with him and noted the same. For this movement to be there, the whole shaft is loose, like a seesaw in effect.

When hot and down through warm, I could move the cam up and down from the right sensor wheel using thumb and finger. The movement is easy to feel. When cooled off, it gets tighter and tighter.

They will consult with BMW but said they will replace the head on the left side during the winter months.

Opinion: I think, given manufacturing tolerances, something has gone wrong with the 2019+ engine manufacture. Its seeming likely (due to the amount of bikes showing symptoms) that there is a quality issue in the parts where tolerances are getting too high when hot. The extreme of which is the knocking, the norm being ticking of some kind.

Im not sure BMW would come completely clean and recall as such, but it could be the 2021 engine is slightly changed ;)

I push forward to see what happens with mine and come back in the winter months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a R1250 RT. Love the bike, but Im experiencing some pinging at 3800-4000 rpm when I roll on the throttle. Its very brief, but its there. Bike has 8,000 miles on it. I dont baby it, but I dont ride it very hard. Usually keep revs 4000 +. Pinging seems to have become more frequent recently. After reading several threads, I ordered a set of OEM plugs and a set thats 1 heat range cooler (LMAR9AI-10). When plugs arrive will install the OEM first, do a TPS reset, fill with fresh Shell premium and add 6.5 ozs of SeaFoam and go for a ride (keeping the revs up).

If pinging is still there, I will try the cooler plugs (which have worked for some). If neither work to eliminate the noise, I will mention to dealer at the 12K service. IMO, what Im hearing is pre-ignition. I always use Premium Top Tier fuel. Even thought the noise isn't bad It shouldn't be happening. Have not had it on my other 2 boxers. I know these engines aren't quiet and dont mind "character"...But this sure sounds like pre-ignition to me and Im concerned about long term damage. I keep my bikes (usually) for a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Following this closely. I don't much like the sound of the engine in general but the bike's my main vehicle and a long-awaited, stress-busting, post-lockdown summer is just around the corner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode the bike to work today at zero degrees (anticipating a much warmer ride home) and aside from not liking the sound of the motor it's a fantastic bike. I asked the dealer about it and they said they'd get back to me today.

I've thinking about swapping it for an end-of-line 1200 as there are a few about. What do you think of that suggestion?

341 - 360 of 364 Posts