R1200GS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the standard exhaust pipe on my 2020 bike (and also on my previous, much noisier 2019 one).
I was loaned a 2021 demo R1250GS last month and its strange noise was even louder than the one my first 1250 produced.
I also tend to believe now that ALL 1250 engine make that noise, but only a minority of owners hear it and are bothered by it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 2x 1250s both are 2019 builds. The RT is a bit quieter than my GS (I changed the plugs to a cooler plug on the the GS and that mellowed the rattle but I haven't changed the plugs on the rt). I now just ride them both and don't focus on engine noises I have some nice sena speakers in my helmet and just enjoy being in the zone!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys for feedback at least I know its not my exhaust. My 2017 r1200gs rallye has the same noise just not as often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dreadfull noise (pinking) from left cylinder head when excalerating started shortly after 1st service. This sounds like something is seriously going to break. 2020 1250 GSA. 5000km. Poor show BMW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dreadfull noise (pinking) from left cylinder head when excalerating started shortly after 1st service. This sounds like something is seriously going to break. 2020 1250 GSA. 5000km. Poor show BMW.
Please keep us posted on what your dealer says. Mine has been doing it for a while. Seems a little quieter now that the temps are warmer but its still there. Here's what I discovered over the past few weekends:

I always (from day one) ran top tier premium in my bike. We had a fuel shortage here in my area (pipeline hack). Wife and I had a hard time finding gas on the way home. Down to about a gallon when we found a BP station with regular only. I put about 3 gallons in so we could get home. After filling, thought the bike was quieter. It was a long day and just focused on getting home.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I ran out and topped the bike off with BP premium (about 2-gallons). So averaged out figure the bike has a full tank of 89-90 AKI in it now......And I'll be damned....Hardly a PEEP as far as pinging. Later in the day, topped off with premium (92 AKI) and the noise came back. Then about a half hour from home topped off with regular (87 AKI) and again quieted down to almost nothing. Sounds crazy that lower octane would quiet down the noise....but it appears to be the case. Long trip this weekend so Ill keep you posted on what I find. Going to try running mid-grade 89 for the entire trip and see what I find.

According to my manual BMW recommends 89 AKI (or 95 RON). Could the HIGHER octane in the US premium be affecting some bikes (1250 RT) in a negative way?????

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interesting train of thought.... I also always fill up with 98 octane gas in Europe and both my 1250's suffer(ed) from the pinging (oscillating) noise of the butterfly valve.... I am very curious about your experience !
The problem in Europe is that 95 octane gas always comes with 10 % methanol, which is a nuisance for the rest of the plumbing on your bike... that's why I stick to 98 octane gas (with none or max. 5 % methanol).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting train of thought.... I also always fill up with 98 octane gas in Europe and both my 1250's suffer(ed) from the pinging (oscillating) noise of the butterfly valve.... I am very curious about your experience !
The problem in Europe is that 95 octane gas always comes with 10 % methanol, which is a nuisance for the rest of the plumbing on your bike... that's why I stick to 98 octane gas (with none or max. 5 % methanol).
Just did 1000 miles over 3 days using 89 AKI octane mid grade (BP and Shell). Strangely enough, the bike does seem to run better and smoother vs premium 95. Pinging/rattle noise is better. Still there at times but definitely less frequent. I do find it more frequent at higher speeds vs lower. Almost as if the rush of more air coming into the airbox increases it. Mostly 2-up fully loaded up an incline 5th or 6th gear 4000-4200 rpm is where I hear it most. The bike is geared much taller than my 2009 GSA and I'm getting used to that. I don't think 4200 rpm on a slight incline is lugging the engine. Bike is running well and wife & I really like it. I just feel like if my 2009 GSA with 70,000 miles doesn't ping, either should a 2019 RT at 13,000 (that I purchased new). Not the end of the world, but it does bother me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You wrote : Mostly 2-up fully loaded up an incline 5th or 6th gear 4000-4200 rpm is where I hear it most. .

I agree with that constatation and my dealer confirms that this kind of parasite noises appear most prominently when the engine hast to "work" harder, such as when there are two people sitting on it...

Not being bothered my any technical knowledge myself, I wonder if a higher octane gas would allow the 1250 engine to perform on a higher level, thus sucking more air (while developing more power) and therefor increasing the pinging noise ???

A technician should be able to answer this question...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a R1250R and came across this thread. Read the entire thing and kept doing some digging. As of December, BMW has acknowledged the problem and it's an incorrect spec on the chain tensioner. A fix is coming soon but save this to show your dealer. Very likely most of them know nothing about this even though they should get the service bulletins

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a R1250R and came across this thread. Read the entire thing and kept doing some digging. As of December, BMW has acknowledged the problem and it's an incorrect spec on the chain tensioner. A fix is coming soon but save this to show your dealer. Very likely most of them know nothing about this even though they should get the service bulletins

Thanks Steve. I just sent this link to my dealer. My sound does appear to be more of a rattle vs a ping or tick...So a cam chain issue does make sense. Hope it gets resolved soon! Love the bike but this noise has to be fixed. Ive had 3 other boxers and I know they all make noise....But there's nothing "normal" about what Im hearing on mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the noise anything like the video below? My 2018 had the camshafts replaced last summer and I have decided to sell the bike as I don’t trust it. I’d like a new GS but only if I think I can get a reliable one.

And once fixed.

N C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the noise anything like the video below? My 2018 had the camshafts replaced last summer and I have decided to sell the bike as I don’t trust it. I’d like a new GS but only if I think I can get a reliable one.

And once fixed.

N C
Not like that on my bike (R1250RT). Mine is quiet at idle. My noise is a rattle (vs a knock or a tick)...Like something is loose. Some BB's in a small tin can, then shaken. Only happens when underway and engine is under load (2-up and/or up an incline with bike at 3800-4200 rpm. Sometimes it wont do it at all...other times it will do it often.

I had a Honda Hurricane 1000 back in the 90's. At about 30,000 miles the camchain tensioner started to go on it. Have to say it did sound VERY similar to what Im hearing on my RT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not like that on my bike (R1250RT). Mine is quiet at idle. My noise is a rattle (vs a knock or a tick)...Like something is loose. Some BB's in a small tin can, then shaken. Only happens when underway and engine is under load (2-up and/or up an incline with bike at 3800-4200 rpm. Sometimes it wont do it at all...other times it will do it often.

I had a Honda Hurricane 1000 back in the 90's. At about 30,000 miles the camchain tensioner started to go on it. Have to say it did sound VERY similar to what Im hearing on my RT
Our sounds may be different but mine certainly sounds like a rattle to me. Glad you DON'T have my issue. I went to several different dealers trying to get them to even acknowledge the problem existed, let alone address and fix it.

In the end the bike has been repaired but yeah, I just don’t trust it any longer.

NC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our sounds may be different but mine certainly sounds like a rattle to me. Glad you DON'T have my issue. I went to several different dealers trying to get them to even acknowledge the problem existed, let alone address and fix it.

Greg
Sorry it didnt work out. I have heard of the cam issue and know a few guys who have had it (with identical sound as your bike). Mine is totally different. Cant get a recording on it because of when it happens. We'll see....bringing to the dealer I bought the bike from who is very reputable. I gave him all the info along with the notice Steve posed re: the cam chain tensioner being the issue and a replacement that should be available by now. Fingers crossed. But like you I wont keep a bike that I dont trust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry it didnt work out. I have heard of the cam issue and know a few guys who have had it (with identical sound as your bike). Mine is totally different. Cant get a recording on it because of when it happens. We'll see....bringing to the dealer I bought the bike from who is very reputable. I gave him all the info along with the notice Steve posed re: the cam chain tensioner being the issue and a replacement that should be available by now. Fingers crossed. But like you I wont keep a bike that I dont trust.
Let us know how it goes. My experience with providing information like you have has always been less than good. They don’t see it as help but you trying to do their job for them. Hopefully you will meet with better success.

NC

·
Registered
228 Posts
My Belgian dealer hasn’t heard yet about the cam chain tensioner replacement notice.
I have an appointment with him though next Thursday in order to check out the rattle my 2017 bike produces...

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Belgian dealer hasn’t heard yet about the cam chain tensioner replacement notice.
I have an appointment with him though next Thursday in order to check out the rattle my 2017 bike produces...
I checked with 2 dealers by me (SE USA) and neither has heard of it either. Please keep us posted on the outcome. Mine goes in 7/6 to get checked out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The technician at my dealership made a test ride on my 2017 GS and found nothing out of the ordinary … he’s convinced that when they’d check the camshafts etc. everything would be conform the set parameters….

Apparently too much play of the cam chain would result in a rattle which would clearly increase and decrease in accordance with the RPM, which is not the case with my bike.

I’ll have to learn to get used to it…and anyway, my complaint is lodged with them in case of a future failure.

401 - 420 of 420 Posts