R1200GS Forum banner
461 - 477 of 477 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I tried it all.....My 2019 RT started rattling at around 7000 miles. First thought it was pinging. I tried every brand of top tier premium fuel, different additives and octane boosters. Noise was still there. Tried cooler plugs...Bypassed the exhaust servo.....Noise still there. So I ruled out pre ign. a while back.
Dealer found a few valves slightly out of spec and cam timing off....Noise still there.

I've previously owned 3 other BMW boxers, and knew this just wasnt the "normal" chatter. Recently pushed my dealer again to contact BMW and see if there were any remedies. He checked and was told there is a new "upgraded" LH cam chain tentioner (he had to order the part from Germany). I had it installed this past Saturday. SO FAR it seems to have done the trick. Leaving tomorrow on a 4-day 2-up trip in the mountains. This will be the true test because my bike would rattle under load. Any type of incline, especially 2-up under 4300 rpm and at higher revs when getting on it.

I'll keep you guys posted. Dont want to give any false hopes until I really try it out.
Hi Bill, how Is the new cam chain tensioner holding up? Can you provide the part number for it? It should be on the paperwork you received from the dealer.

thanks

· Registered
23 Posts
Hi Bill, how Is the new cam chain tensioner holding up? Can you provide the part number for it? It should be on the paperwork you received from the dealer.

thanks
Noise is still there at times, but does seems better. Bike is running great, quiet at idle (for a boxer) and everything is on record. I came off a 2009 GSA. The 1250 RT is geared MUCH higher, and this engine likes to rev more than my old hexhead. I've become more conscious of this and have adjusted. Part # for new Left tensioner is 11 31 7 108 586

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
595 Posts
There is a lot of talk on UK forum lately about the new tensioner, the same part number (11317108586). Many members from all over the Europe stepped into discussion stating that they have replaced the part on the left cylinder and ticking noise was gone. Some even say the "diesel engine" noise was gone.
My R1250GS has build date of January 2021. It has that very same noise from the left cylinder, ticking and "diesel" noise. In few months it's going for scheduled service where I'll demand installing that driveshaft housing valve and will pay for new tensioner as I doubt it will make part of recall in close future. If it ever does, I'll keep the receipt and ask for refund someday.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have experienced the same rattle at 3 - 4000 RPM from the LH cylinder, rather than pursue the warranty process, I've decided to source and fit a new 22mm cam chain tensioner myself. Does anyone know if you have to set the pistons to TDC before replacing said tensioner, or is it simply one out and one in?
Thanks in advance

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
595 Posts
That question has been asked few times on UK forum and final conclusion is "NO", but you have to do it with cold engine, some of engine oil will escape during the process (so you better catch it) and you don't move or start the bike while the tensioner is removed.

· Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I have experienced the same rattle at 3 - 4000 RPM from the LH cylinder, rather than pursue the warranty process, I've decided to source and fit a new 22mm cam chain tensioner myself. Does anyone know if you have to set the pistons to TDC before replacing said tensioner, or is it simply one out and one in?
Thanks in advance
New tensioner is 19mm and old is 17mm. You don't need to do anything. Unscrew old one and screw new.

· Registered
33 Posts
It's detonation. BMW have set the tune in the ECU with way to aggressive ignition timing advance. The 1250 engine now has knock sensors which picks up the detonation noise and the ECU backs off the timing to stop the detonation.
The octane of the fuel you use has no bearing on whether detonation occurs as the ECU advances the timing till detonation is detected.
Two problems here. My engine detonates lots and often. Sometimes the ECU does not adjust to stop the detonation and it continually detonates till you close the throttle or open it up more, neither acceptable when wanting to simply riding at a constant speed. It detonates with mild acceleration out of corners.
My mates 2019 1250 GSA does the same. He has a mechanical background and he (like me) is pissed & frustrated about the detonation and the longer term affects this will have on the engine.
Detonation is NOT good for engines, pistons, spark plugs etc etc and will/may one day destroy the engine. And it will likely be out of warranty so then BMW will say it's the owners problem. Thanks.
My 2017 1200GS ran a 91RON tune in the ECU. Never detonated. With a 95RON tune it detonated using 95 & 98RON. My mates 1200 did the same till he had the 91 tune loaded in his bikes ECU.
BMW need to back off on their obsession to minimise emissions & maximise fuel efficiency and modify the ECU tune to that which actually works in the real world.
What are u hearing specifically that makes u know it’s detonation ?

I have a car with knock sensors that’s tuned but have never gotten the opportunity to actually hear knock /detonation happening.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
My R1250GS is still making the same engine noise as it did when I started this thread way back on 20th March 2019. I had a new engine and gearbox fitted at 19,000 miles (due to corrosion) and have now done 16,000 miles with the new one. Both engines have made exactly the same strange engine noise. I have come to the conclusion that this is a characteristic of the 1250 and have learnt to live with it.

· Registered
31 Posts
My R1250GS is still making the same engine noise as it did when I started this thread way back on 20th March 2019. I had a new engine and gearbox fitted at 19,000 miles (due to corrosion) and have now done 16,000 miles with the new one. Both engines have made exactly the same strange engine noise. I have come to the conclusion that this is a characteristic of the 1250 and have learnt to live with it.
Could you please provide a few photos of the previous corroded engine? Was it corroded at many points?

· Registered
‘22 R1250 GSA - Triple Black
21 Posts
Pleased to hear I am not alone in experiencing this strange engine noise. I wonder if all 1250s make this noise or just a few of us? Rather surprised motorcycle journalists haven't noticed it. As I said before, having read a lot of reviews, only one journalist referred to a strange 'whirring mechanical sound' which may or not be what we are hearing. Hope our engines don't one day go 'bang'. All rather bizarre.
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?
If it's a new bike you bought from a dealer, take it back and ask the mechanic to take it for a test ride...

· Registered
23 Posts
My 2019 1250RT is still rattling at 23,500 miles. Does seem a little better since getting the updated tensioner....But noise still there occasionally. Bringing it in for a software update on 9/17. Mentioned (to the service advisor) that the noise was still there. He's having his "best BMW tech" look at it when I bring it in. So who knows. Bike still running good. I also think its a characteristic of not just the 1250's. I've read several posts on 1200 LC's doing the same thing.

I just want it all on record. Warranty expires early 2023. Keep you guys posted if tech finds anything. But I doubt they will.

Bill

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 1250RT is still rattling at 23,500 miles. Does seem a little better since getting the updated tensioner....But noise still there occasionally. Bringing it in for a software update on 9/17. Mentioned (to the service advisor) that the noise was still there. He's having his "best BMW tech" look at it when I bring it in. So who knows. Bike still running good. I also think its a characteristic of not just the 1250's. I've read several posts on 1200 LC's doing the same thing.

I just want it all on record. Warranty expires early 2023. Keep you guys posted if tech finds anything. But I doubt they will.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Any update after you took the bike for a software update?

· Registered
23 Posts
Hi Bill,

Any update after you took the bike for a software update?
Hi Varalez,

Bike feels good! Actually feels a little smoother. I was getting a "incorrect mileage detected" error last few times I had to hook up my GS911. Did some research and it was a known issue with the RT's. Latest software was supposed to fix that. Haven't used the GS911 yet (since the update) so we'll see.

Bill

461 - 477 of 477 Posts