R1200GS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 300 Posts

·
Super Awesom Person
439 Posts
A friend of mine is running Motul 7100 10-60 in his 2018 1200RT specifically to quiet down the engine. I wonder if it would work in the new 1250 engine. I know it isn't the correct oil that BMW recommend but he just didn't like the noise were all used to. He said a BMW mechanic told him to use it as that's what he uses in his own bike. He said it's made a world of difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had an oil cooled R1150GS from new (1999) and have ridden a few 1200s for short periods.
A month or so ago I test rode a R1250GS Adventure Rallye and the engine noise was immediately apparent from quite low speeds.
No such noise from the 1150 or 1200s.
It reminded me of worn out cam chain noise from my old (1973) Mini 'A' series engine.
The dealer said that someone else had commented.
We wondered whether it might be tyres as the Rallye has more trail type tyres than my 1150 and I did manage to convince myself at one point that it changed a bit with road surface.
I wondered whether the screen may be somehow reflecting the noise back to the rider.
Today I rode a friends R1250GS with road tyres and the noise was exactly the same as the Rallye
It only becomes unnoticeable over 70 with earplugs in and the visor closed.
I couldn't live with it.
I moved from the 2004 1200GS to the 1250GS HP and the noise was apparent from the minute I rode out of the dealership. Accustomed to my old GS with a big Givi screen I was naive to the need for ear plugs on the newer GSs. I’ve changed tires, rode without the front fender and still cannot identify where the sound’s coming from. The dealership agreed the sound could become annoying on long hauls but couldn’t pin down where it was coming from, suggesting either tires, fairing, or air intakes as possible causes. Whatever the cause it is a total kill-joy for otherwise an awesome bike, and regrettably has impacted my hearing. Unless there’s a fix, aftermarket or otherwise, I’ll be downgrading.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I moved from the 2004 1200GS to the 1250GS HP and the noise was apparent from the minute I rode out of the dealership. Accustomed to my old GS with a big Givi screen I was naive to the need for ear plugs on the newer GSs. I’ve changed tires, rode without the front fender and still cannot identify where the sound’s coming from. The dealership agreed the sound could become annoying on long hauls but couldn’t pin down where it was coming from, suggesting either tires, fairing, or air intakes as possible causes. Whatever the cause it is a total kill-joy for otherwise an awesome bike, and regrettably has impacted my hearing. Unless there’s a fix, aftermarket or otherwise, I’ll be downgrading.
I think your issue with noise is different to mine. As I've said mine is rattle/knocking/grumble when the bike is under slight load, when gently accelerating or maintaining speed up hill. Am I correct in saying yours appear to be all the time at all speeds in all gears. Does it get louder the faster you go or is the noise constant? Since you have changed the tyres that rules out Michelin's very noisy Anakees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You know about the Anakee tire issue? If you have that tire mounted at the front, it will make noises you would never be thinking of :surprise:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think your issue with noise is different to mine. As I've said mine is rattle/knocking/grumble when the bike is under slight load, when gently accelerating or maintaining speed up hill. Am I correct in saying yours appear to be all the time at all speeds in all gears. Does it get louder the faster you go or is the noise constant? Since you have changed the tyres that rules out Michelin's very noisy Anakees.
I had the Battlax 41 on front but switched ti the Michelin Road 5 Trail on the recommendation from the tire dealer that they were a quiet tire. No difference which lead me to believe that maybe it was something else. I’m keeping the tire companies in business but will try the Dunlop’s as recommended on another thread.
I really jugged my 1250 on a couple of hills yesterday and other than a metallic knocking you’d expect from the wrong gear selection, it wasn’t major. Doesn’t happen when ridden normally.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Maturerider

I just read your private message here in France while on the last day of my stay in our second home, but I am not allowed yet to send a reply PM, apparently...
Here in the south of France I keep my R1250GS (in Belgium I have a KAWASAKI VERSYS 1000 for the daily grind home-work).
The strange noise has gotten worse by now (at 2.350 kms) and only disappears now when coasting or slowing down.
Upon request from my Belgian dealer who sends all the information I gather to the BMW importer, I have tried to record that noise.
This is not that simple : or the wind noise drowns everything in the SONY ACTION CAM mike, or the other noises a riding bike makes stiffle the parasite noise we are complaining about (and which penetrates easily my fullface helmet and earplugs).
However I have sent the videos to my dealer and hope they may be useful, after all.
Anyhow, I did not know that this strange noise could be such a killjoy, but it certainly is.
This is my 8th GS in a row (replacing my former R1200GS LC from 2015, which was simply perfect) and if BMW doesn't come up with a solution anytime soon ,I don't think I will keep this bike much longer. It really greatly diminishes my joy riding it, mainly because I don't know where it is coming from....
I agree that we should keep each other informed about future developments, i.e. if BMW gives us another reply than their usual" "You're the very first customer with this problem... it is however perfectly normal and harmless... auf Wiedersehen !"

Kind regards.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’m now hearing what I think you’re hearing. Aside from the piercing whine that funnels up from the front, which I try hard to ignore, I’ve started hearing rat,tat, tat, tat, in quick succession rattle under acceleration which seems to come from the right side. This with a full face helmet and foam ear plugs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think it's very important not to ignore strange noises in vehicles.

Coincidentally my car recently developed a whining noise. Dealer said it was a wheel bearing. Before it could be repaired another strange noise appeared - a clicking noise in fourth gear. Long story short. DSG gearbox knackered. New one required. One month out of warranty £5800! Got some good will so am paying (reluctantly) £580.

Fortunately the BMW GS has over 2 and 3/4 years of warranty remaining so plenty of time for the problem to become terminal, like the car, and be repaired.

Can I live with the strange noise? I feel there is not a lot I can do about it. I hear it every time I ride the bike. It's annoying but the rest of the bike is so good I try to ignore it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think it's very important not to ignore strange noises in vehicles.

Coincidentally my car recently developed a whining noise. Dealer said it was a wheel bearing. Before it could be repaired another strange noise appeared - a clicking noise in fourth gear. Long story short. DSG gearbox knackered. New one required. One month out of warranty £5800! Got some good will so am paying (reluctantly) £580.

Fortunately the BMW GS has over 2 and 3/4 years of warranty remaining so plenty of time for the problem to become terminal, like the car, and be repaired.

Can I live with the strange noise? I feel there is not a lot I can do about it. I hear it every time I ride the bike. It's annoying but the rest of the bike is so good I try to ignore it.
Frankly speaking, not only from a mechanical perspective, health wise these sounds shouldn’t be ‘ignored’ by riders and more importantly BMW. Right out of the dealership the 1250 grated on my hearing. Informed the dealer that I was finding it difficult ride and if they knew a fix, and was told, to ride it out to the first service and see if it improves.

Now, having to deal with Tinnitus from one late night ride where the sound was so piercingly painful I had to stop the bike. A lot of reading since and I understand that permanent Tinnitus can be triggered from one traumatic event.

For all the Company’s safety hype, DBC, etc. there is no dialogue on the impact of sound—perhaps intentionally. The decibel rating stuck to the inside of the steering column confirms the Company is aware of it, maybe from a legal perspective, but at no time did the dealer point this out in the the walk around. And you don’t see ear plugs listed in the catalog.

If the Company is truly going to care for its riders, it needs to make more effort to better inform its dealers, be part of forums like this, and address issues like Tinnitus. So that others don’t end up asking the same question that I now do everyday, ‘Do I really want to ride today?’

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Frankly speaking, not only from a mechanical perspective, health wise these sounds shouldn’t be ‘ignored’ by riders and more importantly BMW. Right out of the dealership the 1250 grated on my hearing. Informed the dealer that I was finding it difficult ride and if they knew a fix, and was told, to ride it out to the first service and see if it improves.

Now, having to deal with Tinnitus from one late night ride where the sound was so piercingly painful I had to stop the bike. A lot of reading since and I understand that permanent Tinnitus can be triggered from one traumatic event.

For all the Company’s safety hype, DBC, etc. there is no dialogue on the impact of sound—perhaps intentionally. The decibel rating stuck to the inside of the steering column confirms the Company is aware of it, maybe from a legal perspective, but at no time did the dealer point this out in the the walk around. And you don’t see ear plugs listed in the catalog.

If the Company is truly going to care for its riders, it needs to make more effort to better inform its dealers, be part of forums like this, and address issues like Tinnitus. So that others don’t end up asking the same question that I now do everyday, ‘Do I really want to ride today?’
WOW! Your noise issue is obviously far, far louder and more serious than mine. If it's so bad surely it is something you can hear when the bike is stationary with the engine running. If not, presumably it's a none engine issue like the transmission. The way you describe it surprises me that something hasn't yet gone 'bang' in a big way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The noise

Mine is an R1250GS HP, about a month old, with 980 miles, just had first service. It sounds like a freight train whining from the forks, when going 40-65mph. Below or above that, it goes away. I changed the wind screen, which actually helped a bit, but not much. Was pondering changing tires also, but from the forum, that doesn’t sound like it helps much, if any. I have noticed when changing direction of travel, and with different cross winds, the noise is sometimes greater or worse, depending on the direction. On a ride yesterday, it drove me nuts, then I changed roads and it all went briefly away for a glorious 15 minutes! This makes me think it is a design issue relating to tires, forks, fender, perhaps even the drilled hole spacing in the disc brakes, or a combination of all of these. I almost returned the bike a week after I bought it - but everything else is so wonderful. I use “Radians” custom molded earplugs (do it yourself) get them on Amazon, they reduce sound by 30db and are cheap. You really should use ear protection! But sound is Still obnoxious, still not acceptable, but way better. Am very disappointed in BMW and their lack of attention to this issue. And yes, the writers doing the reviews are ignoring it as well - probably because they are getting freebie trips and use of bikes. Do you really think they would be invited back to Sardinia, Spain, or where ever if they wrote negative remarks? I know several others in the market looking to buy a new BMW, but they probably will not when I disclose this and have them ride mine.
PS, to everyone hearing engine noises, all I can say is mine is just great. And after the first oil change, I think it even runs better. I know, weird.

·
Registered
15 Posts
By any chance are you using a different helmet and ear plugs than with your previous GS's?
I've tried a lot of different plugs over the years and find some are better at cutting certain frequencies causing others to be more noticeable. Try riding without the plugs and see if the noise is the same. Different windshields can cause more or less noise. Just a thought. Test rode a r1250gs yesterday. Didn't notice anything usual in the way of noise but the vibration compared to my K1600 is very noticeable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
This appears to be two issue thread.

1. A a rattle/knocking/grumble noise when under slight load. Sounds like small end or piston slap.

2. Wind rush noise coming from the front end.

Noises can be oh so subjective!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The variable noise coming from the front end is (always) a tire issue and can be solved by changing tires.

This happens frequently with my dealer's clients and therefor is no big deal..

"My" and Maturerider's noise issue on the other hand comes from the internal engine parts and is quite rare (my Belgian dealer only knows of my case, my French dealer also has 4 other clients with similar complaints).

It's tone is constant and does NOT vary with speed or the RPM of the engine.

At an actual mileage of 2324 kms it only disappears now when slowing down and coasting... i.e. the problem is getting more important while mileage is increasing and becomes very worrisome for me.

The Belgian importer has received all the information I already gathered, including some recordings I made of the clattering, rattling, knocking noise while (slightly) accelerating and during constant speeds - but didn't reply (yet) to my dealer's enquiries...

It is most audible from2.700 RPM on and is only drowned by the other engine and wind noises at +/- 4.500 RPM and higher.

If no acceptable (technical) solution is offered in the very near future by BMW I no longer wish to keep this bike.:crying:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dear Slijkmoto,

You describe exactly the same noise that I am experiencing with my 1250. I feel we are the only two on this forum that are having this issue.

My dealer acknowledges that there is a noise and promised to make enquiries with BMW. Unsurprisingly nothing has come of it.

If you had to make a educated guess what do you think is causing this noise? Do you think it might become terminal? As an UNeducated guess I would say a small end bearing but what do I know.

It's an annoying noise which I hear EVERYTIME I go for a ride.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Maturerider,

Some, more technically informed, guys I've sent a copy to of my recording are of the opinion that :

- it might be a faulty balance shaft
- it even may be dangerous to go on riding it, for fear that the entire engine my come to a sudden standstill.

At this time I am back in Belgium (riding my problem free Kawa Versys 1000 - what a joy...) and my GS is standing unemployed in the garage of my French home.

I hope to have received a positive reaction from BMW before my return to France by the end of June, but I won't be holding my breath...

My most probable scenario at this time is : selling my 2019 R1250GS back to my dealer and rebuying my "perfect" 2015 R1200GS which hasn't been sold yet to another client of his or purchasing an S1000XR and getting rid at once of this blasted boxer engine... (this is my second GS in a row with serious engine defects and I am getting sick and tired of it).:frown2:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Dear Slijkmoto

Bloody hell!!!!

I know it shouldn't be making that noise but the thought that 'the entire engine may come to sudden standstill' is rather a concern. I'll try not think about it too much when I'm giving it the beans down my favourite twisty country road.

Please would you let me know when you have confirmation of exactly what is causing this annoying noise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Maturerider ,

Look at the bright side : my French dealer , who's technical knowledge is undoubtedly of a higher level than that of those guys I mentioned earlier, admitted that he doesn't know where the noise is coming from but, after having dismantled the engine from another GS in search of the strange noise and not finding anything out of the ordinary, he doesn't think it is harmful...

So personally I don't fear any bodily harm coming from it, but since in my bike the famous noise is increasing in volume and frequency, I worry that it might cause more severe damage to the internal parts of the engine,if not taken care of soon.

As promised I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just received a short video with sound from my dealer who thinks the strange noise may be coming from " a resonance in the inlet area between inlet valves and throttle valve butterfly" which would be a conceptual matter and therefor won't be remedied by BMW.

If that would be the case, I wonder (not being technical myself) :

- why not ALL R1250GS suffer from this sound
- why it only can be heard during acceleration or at a fixed speed and not when coasting or decelerating
- why it cannot be heard when stationary or when slightly opening the throttle with a pulled in clutch

Any ideas, Nick ?

41 - 60 of 300 Posts