R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of putting a set of street only tires on for the next set, what? I want high mileage and handling..........

GO???

·
Super Awesom Person
593 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmart 3. You can't get a better handling long distance tire. They have a rebate going if the Dealer installs them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If 15,000 to 20,000 miles out of a rear tires sounds good and only cost less than $51.00 shipped try an Achilles Economist ATR in a 175/55-17 for the rear.

I just ordered another from Walmart.com total price with tax was $50.36 shipped to my door. It was one of two left.

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
Lots of good choices mentioned already...also Metzeler Tourance Next, ContiTrailAttack 2, TKC 70. Personally I get whats on sale but you may push the tire limits more to need to dive deeper into your research.

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
If 15,000 to 20,000 miles out of a rear tires sounds good and only cost less than $51.00 shipped try an Achilles Economist ATR in a 175/55-17 for the rear.

I just ordered another from Walmart.com total price with tax was $50.36 shipped to my door. It was one of two left.
Cornering stability in the twisties better than a knobbie though?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have 3 R1200GS's one with Michelin Annakee 3's f/r one with Meltzer Torrance f/r and the 3rd with a Shinko 705 on the front and an Achilles ATR on the rear. Riding them back to back to back through the twistiest stuff around they are all within a few percent of one another as far as handling goes.

I've ridden with a feller in TN that was on well worn TKC80's hauling a pillion in the rain going faster through some stuff that would make the TOTD seem like freeway. Plus he was going faster than 95% of people would be in the dry on super sicky sport tires on 55 mph 2 lane.

Its not so much the tire but the talent.

I'm also so enamored with the Achilles performance the one I ordered today will replace the less than 1/2 worn Torrance on the 05 GS.

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
Its not so much the tire but the talent.
I think the talent side is >70-80% of the total. I'm a novice and been really happy with how TKC80, AX41 Adventurecross and Pirelli Scorpion Rally knobbies perform on the street. But I don't push them hard so know a 80/20 or 90/10 would be better...but I need any help I can get in gravel and dirt.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have run the Pirelli Angel/GT and Dunlap RS3 for road only. Both great tires.

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

You went darkside on a BMW??? Wow!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmart 3. You can't get a better handling long distance tire. They have a rebate going if the Dealer installs them.
What he ^^^^
Michelin Anakee III's
Not a100% road tire, noisy. If the OP goes with an Anakee tire, which wouldn’t be what he asked about, the Anakee Adventure is as good as a split use tire gets for mostly road riding.
For 100% toad riding, Dunlop Roadsmart III is easily the best sport touring tire available. Long lasting, keeps its profile, neutral handling throughout its life, sticky in all conditions, quiet. Can’t ask for more!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Talent is always the biggest part. If it was equipment we'd all put on race slicks and be able to ride like Rossi.
Talent will make one faster. It won’t make tires less noisey, less harsh riding, neutral handling, able to sipe away rainwater, heat up fast enough to grip the road in cold weather, last longer than a few laps around a dry track. If talent was as important as you say, Rossi wouldn’t care what tires were on his bikes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Talent will make one faster. It won’t make tires less noisey, less harsh riding, neutral handling, able to sipe away rainwater, heat up fast enough to grip the road in cold weather, last longer than a few laps around a dry track. If talent was as important as you say, Rossi wouldn’t care what tires were on his bikes.
And if equipment was as important as you believe every swinging dick that raced motorcycle with deep pockets would be a MotoGP level racer. Every wonder why out of the 6 billion on earth there are less than 100 GP level riders. The only reasonable answer gotta be Rossi and the other GP riders can get different tires than you or I. I know it and the COVID-19 travel bans are the only 2 thing holding me back from podium finishes.

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
That is an excellent tire review. Thanks for posting it.
Now I'm questioning whether to sell the Kenda Big Blocks I got for cheap that are sitting on the garage shelf or just run them later thus year. Fortunately I don't ride aggressive so they'll likely treat me fine.

·
Lifelong Member
6 Posts
in no particular order...these are all very good.
Michelin Anakee Adventure
Continental TKC 70
Metzeler Tourance
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II
Shinko 705 for the budget minded

1 - 20 of 40 Posts