R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to install SW-Motech lower crash bars on my 2014 GS, does anyone that has experience with this have any advice, words of warning, or cautionary tales to pass on before I begin?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just installed the same bars on my 2015 GSW. Make sure you use a T55 to remove the long upper bolt that is replaced by ( Part # 2 on page 4 of the instructions) that goes through the frame. A T50 seems like it should fit, although loosely, but don't attempt to use it. It will screw up the fitting. Also, the lock-tite that the factory uses on that end nut makes it extremely difficult to remove it. I had to use a breaker bar to turn the nut while my son held the other end with the T55. The instructions also said to use spacers ( Part # 17 on page 2) to attach the mounting brackets (part# 27). Those spacers don't fit, at least on the 2015. Everything else is fairly easy as long as you don't tighten anything down until all the bolts are installed. Don't forget to use blue lock-tite on all the bolts and use a torque wrench to tighten to specs indicated.
Have fun! Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for when I posted. Much appreciated. I will post aflow up once they are installed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My SW Motech bars went on very easily. The only thing I would add to this would be to recheck torque on the fasteners after 500-1000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put them on this past Sunday. Went very well and it's pretty simple as long as you go very slowly and carefully, lay out all the bolts at each position before you begin, and plan well. I used a tape measure to make sure I had the correct bolts at each site, many different lengths. Started by loose fitting both sides, then once I was sure everything line up correctly I started with the most difficult bolt (left foot peg bracket bolt was slightly misaligned) and began to remove and apply thread locker and torque to spec. Surprisingly, the torque specs were lower than you would expect, which tells me I have been tightening bolts way too tight all my life! Anyhow, it took a couple hours of not-in-any-hurry garage tinkering and I like them a lot so far! I also learned that bolts have their own elasticity and therefore have built in "locking" capability as long as you stay within proper torque specs.

Thanks again to those who responded with advice!

Jason

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice. I have been considering Crash Bars, but wanted to try to stay as close fitting to the bike as I can (tight fit through back gate!).
Anyway, do you have any pics???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, good thing I put these on last week, my bike fell over today! My wife and I were going to run some errands, she says "ya sure, let's take the GS" So I put on my Kevlar jeans and my Sidi Adventure Gor-Tex boots and my Klim Badlands Pro jacket, and my Shoei GT Air lid (shameless plugs, I know, I'm in love with my gear) and roll her out into the driveway. I turn to walk back up into the garage and BANG! She goes down hard! There is a slight slope to the driveway and I must not have had the stand fully extended or something. Anyhow, I pick it up to find a nice big scratch in the SW Motech guard, but also a nice scratch on the head cover! Wasn't expecting that. Without the guards it would have caved the head cover in, falling from basically straight up onto concrete with no one there to even slow it down. So, I'm glad the guard saved my cylinder head, but at the same time not happy about the scratch on the head. Still, I'm not too concerned. There is also a small nick on the leading corner of the left Vario case, barely visible. Nothing else hit the ground, surprisingly little damage actually.

To answer your question, these are pretty tight fitting bars, which is what I wanted. Maybe too tight I suppose. I am not fond of bars that hang way out all protruding from every angle.

Pic of damage as well as some done after the install attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys, can anyone tell me the torque values for various bolts, especially the engine one? I've just bought these crash bars and there doesn't seem to be any mention of how tight to go.

Thanks,

Scott.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm glad I got a Hepco Becker crash bars after seeing that. Mine has fallen over a couple time and no head contact. Plus ACE silver paint is an exact match. Lesson, Never park on a downhill slope with the sidestand in neutral.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm glad I got a Hepco Becker crash bars after seeing that. Mine has fallen over a couple time and no head contact. Plus ACE silver paint is an exact match. Lesson, Never park on a downhill slope with the sidestand in neutral.
I was worried about the bottom of the cyclinder head after staring at my engine guards one day. This picture reinforces that. Was it an ordeal to fix the bottom of the cyclinder heads?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I was worried about the bottom of the cyclinder head after staring at my engine guards one day. This picture reinforces that. Was it an ordeal to fix the bottom of the cyclinder heads?
My tip overs never hit cylinder head, just crashbar. light sanding and mask of areas you don't want painted and spray away. I don't know the paint code for cylinders.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My tip overs never hit cylinder head, just crashbar. light sanding and mask of areas you don't want painted and spray away. I don't know the paint code for cylinders.
I have to wonder the advantage of not having a bar at the bottom to protect the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Advantage?

I have to wonder the advantage of not having a bar at the bottom to protect the cylinder heads.
There's no advantage and I wish there was protection below. If you fall over in a rocky section you're susceptible to hole in the head!

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not sure I read somewhere that the machineartmoto you had to take the bars off. I am not sure about the other one. However I read that the Machineart moto actually works well. The other question I have now is that of heat. Does the machineart moto cause heat to build behind. The cylinder is water and air cooled so I have to wonder about that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts