R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2013 GS LC and want to ditch the Vario. Looked at Brooks and BMW and others. all are good, but he style of SW Motech has my attention. I've seen some chatter about the locks being a pain because of needing a key all the time to close them. Not sure I get what the issue is. Anyone know about this? Thanks!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you checked out the Givi panniers yet? You do not need a key to close them. I only use the key when I want to lock them. They have served me well. You can get a ral deal from Motostrom in Italy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked out the Givi panniers yet? You do not need a key to close them. I only use the key when I want to lock them. They have served me well. You can get a ral deal from Motostrom in Italy.
yes, they have been my second choice. Looks at the new Bumont's too. Will take another look.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I looked at the BMW's, bought the Brooks, wish I bought the Bumot's.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the BMW's, bought the Brooks, wish I bought the Bumot's.....
I just heard back from SW Motech service about the key and lock situation: “The locks do not release the keys when in the unlocked position… they have to be locked to release the key.” This seems like a pain. I’ll look at Givi and Bumont again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the Bumots are the best made, but they are on the heavy side. I much rather pound out a case then when I dirt nap, then carry the weight all the time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the Givi Monokey Trekker's. They can be left with the keyed latch not closed but the side latches fastened. Though you don't need the key that way I was always a little leary about riding with them that way.

Instead I modified the lock cylinders so the key can be removed in the unlocked position. You can YouTube it if interested. I'm really happy with the result.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lock/hinge mechanism is on the cheap side and once in a while I get water inside after washing the bike
Update. SW Motech guy called and said the new bags ship with new locks that do not require the latch to be locked to remove the key; so they've addressed the issue. I still have not bought anything yet, but that's at least interesting for anyone consider that brand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 2013 GS LC and want to ditch the Vario. Looked at Brooks and BMW and others. all are good, but he style of SW Motech has my attention. I've seen some chatter about the locks being a pain because of needing a key all the time to close them. Not sure I get what the issue is. Anyone know about this? Thanks!!
I have Jesse Luggage on my '14 1200GS and happy with the quality. Solid aluminum construction.1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts