R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'18 R1200GS, '14 Honda Interceptor
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 1200 I bought came with Vario side bags and top case. The top case works well for me, but the Vario side cases are less than ideal. I'd like some top-load side bags, but wonder if I have to then change the rack, and if so, get rid of the Vario top case? My local dealer was less than helpful (ahem). Any experience or advice (or product endorsements) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 2018 1200 I bought came with Vario side bags and top case. The top case works well for me, but the Vario side cases are less than ideal. I'd like some top-load side bags, but wonder if I have to then change the rack, and if so, get rid of the Vario top case? My local dealer was less than helpful (ahem). Any experience or advice (or product endorsements) would be appreciated.

hey marco,

i really like the monokey system by Givi. just by having the monokey plate, u can install tons of various size shaped givi top boxes. Mine is custom, i made my own plate because i wanted the top case to be closer not far back like all of them are.

·
Registered
25 Posts

with my mount the top case is moved forward, but i still needed enough room so i can use the rear grab handle to wrestle the bike if needed.
I also suggest tourandride.com.. no tax free shipping, and lowest prices anywhere on GIVI stuff,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
View attachment 28530

with my mount the top case is moved forward, but i still needed enough room so i can use the rear grab handle to wrestle the bike if needed.
I also suggest tourandride.com.. no tax free shipping, and lowest prices anywhere on GIVI stuff,
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to keep my top case but want new, top-load side bags. Which ones are those in the photo, what rack do they need, and would you recommend them? Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you want to switch to top-loading aluminum side cases, you will need a new rack system. The standard luggage mounts are specific to the Varios. I believe you can retain the Vario top box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to keep my top case but want new, top-load side bags. Which ones are those in the photo, what rack do they need, and would you recommend them? Thanks again.
Touratech Zega EVO x 38l 38l side cases, they come with a rack black or silver. pricey but hi quality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Touratech Zega EVO x 38l 38l side cases, they come with a rack black or silver. pricey but hi quality.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’m comparing the Zega Evo and Zega Pro. Lots of pros and cons to each.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I bought a 2007 R1200GS with Zegas and I sold them and replaced them with Tusk panniers. I also have two sets of OEM GSA aluminum panniers. I have also bought several GS's with Vario panniers.

You mention "high quality". I'd actually argue that they are all just aluminum boxes with a lids held by common metal racks. A box is a box. My $274.99 Tusks hold things just as well and are just as water/dust-proof as the Zegas or OEM BMW stuff. They also are thicker aluminum and do not dent and or ding as easily.

The only thing that is make or break for me when it comes to choosing panniers and racks is whatever racks system must have a rear cross over to tie the whole thing together. The rest is incidental.

For the record I actually like the Tusk panniers mounted to Touratech racks the best as they are symmetrical with no exhaust cutout. Either pannier is the same size and can be mounted on either rack. So what fits in one fits in the other.

I do like the hinge lid latch/hinges on the OEWM BMW panniers better but for as much as I like them I do not like the different asymmetrical panniers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a 2007 R1200GS with Zegas and I sold them and replaced them with Tusk panniers. I also have two sets of OEM GSA aluminum panniers. I have also bought several GS's with Vario panniers.

You mention "high quality". I'd actually argue that they are all just aluminum boxes with a lids held by common metal racks. A box is a box. My $274.99 Tusks hold things just as well and are just as water/dust-proof as the Zegas or OEM BMW stuff. They also are thicker aluminum and do not dent and or ding as easily.

The only thing that is make or break for me when it comes to choosing panniers and racks is whatever racks system must have a rear cross over to tie the whole thing together. The rest is incidental.

For the record I actually like the Tusk panniers mounted to Touratech racks the best as they are symmetrical with no exhaust cutout. Either pannier is the same size and can be mounted on either rack. So what fits in one fits in the other.

I do like the hinge lid latch/hinges on the OEWM BMW panniers better but for as much as I like them I do not like the different asymmetrical panniers.
the Zegas you had are probably old. they have eveolved to a better box now.

do you screw them on to attach? those r the old ones. their higher quality better design now

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah they had hand wheels to attach. I scavenged the mounting hardware and used it on the Tusks. I did scrap the Hand wheel and bought button head screws and fender washers and keep an Allen wrench in the tool kit to loosen/tighten them. Much less obtrusive. I found out long ago that having quick disconnect panniers is not needed. I rarely remove the panniers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah they had hand wheels to attach. I scavenged the mounting hardware and used it on the Tusks. I did scrap the Hand wheel and bought button head screws and fender washers and keep an Allen wrench in the tool kit to loosen/tighten them. Much less obtrusive. I found out long ago that having quick disconnect panniers is not needed. I rarely remove the panniers.

yeah, thats the old attachment, its funny how Brooks copied that hand wheel attachment. I like Brooks, their well priced. the only reason I went with touratech, other than the quality, i liked the size and shape it was proportionate to the GS imo. Brooks and other boxes where too big or wide for my liking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts