R1200GS Forum banner

What tall windscreen do you have that you love (or not)?

• CalSci

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aeroflow

• Hate my Puig!

• Hate my CalSci!

• Hate my Wunderlich!

• Hate my Aeroflow!

• Hate my V-stream!

• Hate my x-creen

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to get a taller than stock windscreen for my R1200GS. I am 6'3" and will be adding a SeatConcepts tall seat in another 6-8 weeks. I get moderate buffeting with the stock screen. Its best in the low position with my helmet in relatively clean air, but its still bad and noisy enough I can barely use my cardo at max volume.

This has been beaten to death in the past but I haven't seen a poll so I am trying one here to see other's opinions.

If you are under 6'1" please feel free to comment but also please refrain from answering the poll since this is meant to get a survey of tall riders opinions. Thanks!

·
Administrator
1,655 Posts
[For my 07 oilcooled] I run a stock GSA screen with an x-creen deflector. Works well but need the deflector in a pretty high position to completely eliminate buffeting. My LS2 helmet peak isn't as stiff as it could be so a bit more susceptible to buffeting.

For reference I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam...have a Corbin seat in tall position.

·
Enthusiast
88 Posts
So I am looking to get a taller than stock windscreen for my R1200GS. I am 6'3" and will be adding a SeatConcepts tall seat in another 6-8 weeks. I get moderate buffeting with the stock screen. Its best in the low position with my helmet in relatively clean air, but its still bad and noisy enough I can barely use my cardo at max volume.

This has been beaten to death in the past but I haven't seen a poll so I am trying one here to see other's opinions.

If you are under 6'1" please feel free to comment but also please refrain from answering the poll since this is meant to get a survey of tall riders opinions. Thanks!
OK, I don't meet your 6'1" criterion although I'm tall in the upper body, short in the inseam (weird genetics I guess...). Anyway two options to consider not present in your list:

1. A Puig spoiler/visor. I used one of these for several years and it has been quite effective.

2. Alternatively, you can raise your stock screen about 2" with the windscreen mount adapters in the link below - if you have access to a 3D printer (or you can have someone who does make it for you). I built and installed a set of these on my 2017 1200GS and they are perfect height for me with stock windscreen at highest setting. They bolt on to the windscreen mounts and then you bolt the screen to it. Simple but effective. Build them with ABS or PETG (my choice) material.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
340 Posts
  • OEM screen - a lot of buffeting
  • Puig Touring - buffeting.
  • Then added Puig spoiler - a bit better but still buffeting
  • Givi - better then Puig but still buffeting.
  • Wunderlich (the biggest one) - better then all of the previous ones but still some buffeting
  • 15 mm spacers between fairing and screen on bottom screws (longer screws needed) - much better, almost zero buffeting
  • MRA spoiler (the biggest one without needing to drill the screen) - vertical position, perfect, zero buffeting

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
40 Posts
  • 15 mm spacers between fairing and screen on bottom screws (longer screws needed) - much better, almost zero buffeting
Hi! Interested, can you give us a bit more information and perhaps post a pic? Trying to envision, I guess the net effect is you are angling the screen backwards and perhaps reducing turbulence as compared to more upright stock position?

Thanks,

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am 6'1" and have a Puig Touring screen on my 14 GS. In the full down position I get no buffeting. I also installed their stiffener brackets. These keep the screen very steady. One observation. I had to flex the screen to get it to line up properly when installing. This put tension into the mechanism, so raising and lowering cannot be done on the fly, with the knob alone. I have to pull over and use 2 hands. In the full down position, I look over the screen, not through it. Very happy with the screen.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
340 Posts
bosnjo, for your no-buffet endpoint did you have the MRA spoiler with the spacers and the big wunderlich all at the same time?
Yes, my final setup is Wunderlich big screen, spacers and MRA spoiler, all in the same time. I started to hate my bike before that setup as I was spending loads of money trying different setups with no luck. Now, I love my bike. I'm 6'2 with 34 inseam. The screen is half way up with those reenforcement brackets for big screens (otherwise it'd wobble a lot). My line of site is just over the spoiler and up to 5 meters at front of the bike I see through the spoiler. Further then 5 meters, over the spoiler.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
340 Posts
The final setup:
Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

MRA spoiler angle (almost upright and higher then the top of the screen):
Surveillance camera Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera accessory Bicycle part

Spacers mounted on the OEM brackets, just with longer screws:
Bicycle tire Wheel Hood Bicycle Tire

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,485 Posts
I use the National Cycle VStream, model Z2486. If you look at the pics below the main pic that show the comparisons to a OEM shield there is not much difference. It must be that it isn't as flat. It just works better.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,485 Posts
And one last thing about National Cycle, I was told, haven't been able to confirm it, that National Cycle makes the OEM shields for BMW? The clarity of their shields isthe best I have seen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
< 6'1"...

After eating too may bugs on a ride through south central Colorado and New Mexico, I researched various windscreens to increase the coverage of the stock 2018 GSA screen. I decided on the Givi 5124DT with GIVI D5108KIT reenforcement fitting kit.

The Givi works great for me. I'm 5'11" (33" inseam) and get no buffeting when it's in the highest position. I keep the Givi lowered but have the option to raise it up as necessary to keep critters out of my teeth. I do find I have to stop more frequently for snacks though.

·
Super Awesom Person
895 Posts
Aeroflow has three sizes windscreens for the GS/GSA. I'm 6ft and chose the standard size. (short) I ride with it all the way up and the air goes over my head. I lower it in summer or when on dirt or in the rain. It's a bit wider than stock and they have a diagram on the web comparing them all with stock. If your in the LA area you can call for an apt and test them like I did before buying. AeroFlow, Corp. Motorcycle Screens and Fairings

·
Registered
64 Posts
After trying a couple of different options (stock, Vstream, etc.), I went with a 21" Madstad screen plus their reinforcing brackets. I'm 6'2, 34" inseam and had a custom saddle made that sits fairly high...allowing some knee relief. The screen is about 18" wide which tends to direct air in the lower section around my torso and arms. Optical clarity is really good.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with this set up. Might be a bit of a barn door but with almost unlimited adjustability, no more head buffeting and can lower for hotter weather for increased cooling. While the reinforcement brackets DO negate the stock BMW "crank up" adjustment, the Madstad brackets do allow for up/down, fore/aft adjustments. Has to be done at a stop though as there are two knobs to make any adjustments...

Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine Auto part Engineering

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
PP
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1 Posts
After trying a couple of different options (stock, Vstream, etc.), I went with a 21" Madstad screen plus their reinforcing brackets. I'm 6'2, 34" inseam and had a custom saddle made that sits fairly high...allowing some knee relief. The screen is about 18" wide which tends to direct air in the lower section around my torso and arms. Optical clarity is really good.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with this set up. Might be a bit of a barn door but with almost unlimited adjustability, no more head buffeting and can lower for hotter weather for increased cooling. While the reinforcement brackets DO negate the stock BMW "crank up" adjustment, the Madstad brackets do allow for up/down, fore/aft adjustments. Has to be done at a stop though as there are two knobs to make any adjustments...

View attachment 31823
View attachment 31822 PP View attachment 31824
Plus One on the Madstad - very robust, no buffeting for a taller rider.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Don’t know if you’re interested but I have an Aeroflow tall screen I’m willing to part with. Perfect condition, I’m willing to take 50 percent of whatever they cost new since it’s just sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CBJ79 I would give it a try if you are nearby (SoCal) but I have had enough scammers responding to my WTB post that I would need to use an escrow or paypal if you are not local

1 - 20 of 31 Posts