R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not a fan of tank bags, IMO they detract from the great lines of the GS and are intrusive to my "personal space" :LOL:. So when I recently bought my 2010 GS, the bike didn't come with a top case, but it did come with a tank bag. I thought I'd try mounting the tank bag on the rear rack. So I dont always have to ride with the big paniers. I like it, but does it look stupid? You won't hurt my feelings.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Aug 9, 2022 UPDATE:
I have removed that tank bag and have been using the Kreiga US-20 dry bag. I love it, that tank bag will be used for spare parts LOL
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive parking light Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,903 Posts
I am also not a fan of tank bags and do not haul a pillion and was luck enough to score not one but two TourTech pillon plate pillion bags for my Hexheads.

I also don't like dealing with rain covers or straps so the TourTech pillion bag is mostly waterproof and snaps in/out with the key.

I do like tail bags as they are out of the way but easily accessible for quick access items

Reactions: Lt_Scout

·
Registered
1988 R100 RT, 2018 R1200 GS
71 Posts
My prior ride, a 1988 R100 RT, has a metal tank and I've used a tank bag that I prefer. However, the tank is much lower than on the 2018 R1200 GS, so it feels less intrusive. I originally purchased a Touratech tank bag for the GS, but after a few rides, thought it was a bit tall/high. So, I understand your opinions on the tank bag being a bit intrusive--I also understand this is a personal preference with no absolute right or wrong answer. Just what works for you. Also, I don't like the strap method of attachment for many tank bags. However, I like have access to garage door openers, ear plugs, etc. in front of me rather than behind me. My solution was the SW-Motech's micro tank bag. It attaches via a tank ring and is relatively small and does not feel intrusive to me.

IMO, a tail bag/top box detracts more from the bike's lines than a tank bag and look kind of goofy to me unless the bike is fully loaded up. Granted, some people have different opinions on the matter and differ from mine. That being said, I am considering a tail bag. I haven't decided which tail bag yet, but some don't look that much different from your tank bag attached at the rear. IMO, it's more about functionality than appearance. Since we all have different likes and dislikes, there will always be some who like what you've done to your bike and other's that don't. So, if the bag works for you attached at the rear, ignore everyone else and leave it be. It's also an inexpensive way to see if you prefer a tail bag.

My last suggestion is to go for a ride and put a smile on your face. There are few things better than that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My prior ride, a 1988 R100 RT, has a metal tank and I've used a tank bag that I prefer. However, the tank is much lower than on the 2018 R1200 GS, so it feels less intrusive. I originally purchased a Touratech tank bag for the GS, but after a few rides, thought it was a bit tall/high. So, I understand your opinions on the tank bag being a bit intrusive--I also understand this is a personal preference with no absolute right or wrong answer. Just what works for you. Also, I don't like the strap method of attachment for many tank bags. However, I like have access to garage door openers, ear plugs, etc. in front of me rather than behind me. My solution was the SW-Motech's micro tank bag. It attaches via a tank ring and is relatively small and does not feel intrusive to me.

IMO, a tail bag/top box detracts more from the bike's lines than a tank bag and look kind of goofy to me unless the bike is fully loaded up. Granted, some people have different opinions on the matter and differ from mine. That being said, I am considering a tail bag. I haven't decided which tail bag yet, but some don't look that much different from your tank bag attached at the rear. IMO, it's more about functionality than appearance. Since we all have different likes and dislikes, there will always be some who like what you've done to your bike and other's that don't. So, if the bag works for you attached at the rear, ignore everyone else and leave it be. It's also an inexpensive way to see if you prefer a tail bag.

My last suggestion is to go for a ride and put a smile on your face. There are few things better than that.
Thanks man, great advice... That's my thinking, this tank bag came with the bike, it's a little old looking so I didnt mind bastardizing it for this trial rear bag idea. A proper rear top case would look a little better but only because we're use to seeing those boxes up high. I'm gonna try it and probably get a proper rear bag made by Tusk or Mosko, but I have to give the visa a cool off period. The Klim helmet, jacket, pants, gloves were... cough... expensive.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,903 Posts
The older I've gotten its more about function/comfort and less about looks. If I wanted a good-looking bike, I'd buy something from an Italian manufacturer :)

Reactions: Lt_Scout

·
Administrator
1,819 Posts
I think it looks fine. I've gotten to the point I don't care as much what others think. Personally I dont care for the look/high height of top boxes so like a tail bag or smaller top box solutions.

While avoid full hack jobs I find creative budget friendly solutions more interesting than the high end farkles, just me.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
2021 BMW R1250 GS Adventure
239 Posts
Form follows function, and if you like it and it works for you why do yo GAF if anyone else likes it or not?

Opinions are like arm pits, everyone has them, some smell some don't.

Cool that Visa and ride, find out if it works for you and don't worry what others think.

This is no HOG and this ain't the HOG chapter!

Reactions: Lt_Scout and Krons

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not a fan of tank bags, IMO they detract from the great lines of the GS and are intrusive to my "personal space" :LOL:. So when I recently bought my 2010 GS, the bike didn't come with a top case, but it did come with a tank bag. I thought I'd try mounting the tank bag on the rear rack. So I dont always have to ride with the big paniers. I like it, but does it look stupid? You won't hurt my feelings.
View attachment 33706

View attachment 33707

View attachment 33708
To tell you the truth, it looks stupid only because you planted that seed. Had you said, “look at this new spiffy tail bag” no one would have batted an eye. You would be getting asked about “your compact tail bag” and where can I get one?. So the crop you are harvesting is… it looks stupid. It is no more stupid than half the tail bags out there. If it meets your needs f—k what anyone else thinks… be adventurous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The term “stupid” is kind of harsh, IMO. At any rate, I have the exact same bike and tank bag, and removed the bag due to the hassle of trying to balance it to get gas in the tank. I agree that the lines of the bike look better without the bulky tank bag, but must admit that the new placement is not what I personally would deem complimentary. So, be a trailblazer, if you’d like. Maybe next year it’ll be the new trend.
Happy trails brother, and keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also not a fan of tank bags and do not haul a pillion and was luck enough to score not one but two TourTech pillon plate pillion bags for my Hexheads.

I also don't like dealing with rain covers or straps so the TourTech pillion bag is mostly waterproof and snaps in/out with the key.

I do like tail bags as they are out of the way but easily accessible for quick access items
NOTHING goes on my bike that can't handle the weather. What is on my bike depends on the trip I'm taking. Heading to the store or to work? Side panniers. Going camping for the weekend? Side panniers and, if the weather is cool, a pillion bag. Heading across the continent or out into the backwoods for a week or more? Mosko Moto soft side panniers, a waterproof duffel on the Black Dog Cycle Works Helipad that replaces the pillion and tiny luggage rack plus a tank bag for things I might need on the 1,000 mile plus ride to my exploring area. Things like extra gloves, snacks, water, etc. Yes, I have ridden over 1,000 miles to START an adventure trip more than once. North America is a big place.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
NOTHING goes on my bike that can't handle the weather. What is on my bike depends on the trip I'm taking. Heading to the store or to work? Side panniers. Going camping for the weekend? Side panniers and, if the weather is cool, a pillion bag. Heading across the continent or out into the backwoods for a week or more? Mosko Moto soft side panniers, a waterproof duffel on the Black Dog Cycle Works Helipad that replaces the pillion and tiny luggage rack plus a tank bag for things I might need on the 1,000 mile plus ride to my exploring area. Things like extra gloves, snacks, water, etc. Yes, I have ridden over 1,000 miles to START an adventure trip more than once. North America is a big place.
I rode to the liquor store today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a tank bag similar to that one. Since I don’t ever carry a passenger I removed the back seat and mounted my tank bag there. It looks pretty decent and streamlined with the front seat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts