R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
53 Posts
I don't particularly care for the look of either a top box nor a tank bag, but I newly have both for a 6 week trip. For short hops I prefer a tail bag for miscellaneous. That said, I second the above comment that I think your mounting position to me looks backwards re the top side slope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I liked your idea. Mainly I got the same bag from a friend for free. Then I used it on my G650 GS Sertao at the front. A little bit bulky on long rides with my flying brick at the back but it was fine. The reason for this is the top panel is clear and that is what I need for my solar panels to charge during daylight traveling. We get to spots on an adventure tour where is no power and then your backup batteries are fully charged. I got an R1200 GS 2015 as well and use the Givi tank bag at the front and a material BMW bag at the back. But I thinking of using the tank bag at the back now as well. It got +/- 35-40 liters and then I am not using my top box. Sometimes the stuff I need to take with me is less. Like on an over-niter. Yes, it can do the job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While it doesn't look stupid, you haven't put a tank bag on the tail, you've improvised a tail bag. And those are two very different things. I've never been a fan of the look or the intrusiveness of a tank bag either, BUT it is the one piece of luggage I ALWAYS ride with; even on my RnineT which REALLY screws up the look of that bike. The important function of the tank bag (for me) is access while I am ON the bike. Stopped at a light or on a straight of low-traffic highway, I can access the bag for whatever I might need. Can't do that safely with a tail bag.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Never thought of the GS as having "great lines." Just an opinion! Don't throw any bricks. I love mine. I still think the styling is bizarre.

More to the point, top cases look awkward to me and it's the first thing I took off when I bought my '12 GS Rally. But when traveling, I go for function. I have put a tank bag on the back of my bike (where I removed the pillion seat). And on cross-country jaunts, I use the top box as well as a tank bag, although I don't like how either look. Once you pack up a bike for a longer journey, it become more of a puck-up truck that a sports car anyway.

My one suggestion to the OP would be...don't turn around to look at your map while riding above 45 mph!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not a fan of tank bags, IMO they detract from the great lines of the GS and are intrusive to my "personal space" :LOL:. So when I recently bought my 2010 GS, the bike didn't come with a top case, but it did come with a tank bag. I thought I'd try mounting the tank bag on the rear rack. So I dont always have to ride with the big paniers. I like it, but does it look stupid? You won't hurt my feelings.
View attachment 33706

View attachment 33707

View attachment 33708
Stupid is in the eye of the ignant! I grew up years ago when all we had for bike appointments were whatever we could make suit the purpose. Still makes sense given the price of farkles. I would flip the bag 180 degrees to change the line appearance. Otherwise great use of something you already own.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
16 Posts
i think a lot of people's motorcycles look stupid, especially if it's a ktm. but you know what, it's their motorcycle, not mine. so they can do whatever makes them happy. if they like tail bags, great. if they want 24' apes, go for it. if they want a hard tail bob, good luck to your back. having storage is a great convenience, not having to pay for it is even better.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts