R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the updated 2018 R1200GS Adventure will be available with the option of a trick colour TFT dash.

Is it likely that it could be retro fitted to my 2017 non Adventure GS? For me it would be a very desirable option.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The reality is that even if the new TFT IP was offered as a retrofit through BMW (which there is no word on as of yet) with the analog instrument cluster costing nearly $1300 the retrofit TFT kit is surely to be incredibly expensive, so much so that most would-be adopters will be turned off.

On the other hand I would buy it in a minute so long as they keep the price point around there, I hate the analog instruments so badly that anything has got to be an improvement.

My best guess is that this TFT IP will not ever be offered as a retrofit option due to the fact that most (I have never heard otherwise) dealers are unable to program actual odometer readings into a new cluster if you have one that fails, they place a stick on the bike indicating the odo reading when the new cluster was installed.

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
dealers are unable to program actual odometer readings into a new cluster if you have one that fails, they place a stick on the bike indicating the odo reading when the new cluster was installed.
Ya, know...when I plug the GS911 into my RT or GS one of the first items it shows is the mileage of the bike. This leads me to believe that the mileage is kept in one of the many controllers in the bike. So, might the instrument cluster just be a display? Of maybe the GS911 is reading it from the instrument?

I do know this, another "famous manufacturer" of motorcycles sells all number of speedometer upgrades, when you get one you plug it into the service port with the provided cable, turn the bike on and in a few seconds the new speedometer (and odometer) have the existing mileage transferred.

It would be truly cool if the TFT display could be retrofitted to earlier motorcycles, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

- Bumblebee

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bloody hell! $1300 for an replacement instrument panel? I guess if it is possible to retrofit a TFT panel it would cost even more.

When the instrument panel of my 2010 Ducrapi Multistresser 1200 went wrong the existing mileage couldn't be transferred to the new panel. Even worse the service interval display was out of sync.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Instrument cluster

For me, the standard instrument cluster is adequate. Along with the GPS display, I can get all the information that I need.
The instruments are there to tell you what you should already know.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ya, know...when I plug the GS911 into my RT or GS one of the first items it shows is the mileage of the bike. This leads me to believe that the mileage is kept in one of the many controllers in the bike. So, might the instrument cluster just be a display? Of maybe the GS911 is reading it from the instrument?

I do know this, another "famous manufacturer" of motorcycles sells all number of speedometer upgrades, when you get one you plug it into the service port with the provided cable, turn the bike on and in a few seconds the new speedometer (and odometer) have the existing mileage transferred.

It would be truly cool if the TFT display could be retrofitted to earlier motorcycles, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

- Bumblebee
If only it could be this easy.

In the case of the GS I have to wonder what came first the chicken or the egg in that if the BMS-X and/or ZFE controllers get the odometer information from the cluster or if the cluster receives the data from the controllers, I do know that once the data is received by any of the three items it is irreversible.

I would wager that the TFT costs less to produce than the analog/LCD display on the current GSW's, even though it incorporates some additional features such as Bluetooth for phone and media the actual BT chips are cheap to integrate as are the features into a display and the TFT screens are relatively inexpensive to manufacture as well, and all the new features are integrated 100% within the cluster meaning it should be physically possible to be retrofitted provided that BMW hasn't incorporated something to make it impossible.

And unlike Houdini I actually look at the instruments to view data that I don't know or want to verify, for instance on occasion I have spotted cops and figured I was doing on or under the limit only to look down and have a surprise, I need the force evidently.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I believe the mileage is stored in both the BMS-whatever and the KOMBI (instrument cluster) and that the displayed value comes from the KOMBI. Alas, I can't find the sources to back up that belief so could very well be wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can't swap clusters without ISTA coding at the dealer. Mileage is stored in the cluster as well as ECU and require ISTA sync. I was told you would be able to retrofit the TFT cluster, but definitely require dealer coding. I believe the bracket is different too. Personally prefer the current cluster for a bike like the GS, but I get the appeal of the TFT.... it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at a recent BMW Motorrad video on YouTube entitled 'New colours and model updates 2018' it is obvious that the TFT is a optional extra on the new updated Adventure model. The racing red model in the video had it, but the white and blue version didn't.

I guess the standard GS will soon be offered with the same (expensive?) option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since I am in the market to purchase a new one soon, I asked the question and these are the facts:

The TFT screen will be an option that can be added at the time of ordering but no retrofitting as the handlebar controls are also different. The menu system is different and the wheel operation can be focused on the TFT or the GPS.

Personally I prefer the analogue dash as it suits the bike better (more classic). Most of the TFT functions depend on the mobile phone app, which is not a good idea as phone coverage is not always there. Without the functions from the phone, it has the same functionalities as the standard dash.
It would be a good instrument panel to have on a sports bike though!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
One thing for sure is that at this stage in the game as far as retrofitting the TFT goes nobody knows what the deal is yet because BMW hasn't said a word about, the moment they do a BMW magazine will print it online, beside that dealers would rather promote the purchase of a new bike than a retrofit kit.
Not to mention that some of the worst (as in inaccurate) information I have ever gotten has been in dealerships.
And then the whole nonsense about the hand controller could be right but when you think about it what other functions can they really add to that thing before the controls become so complex that you can't ride and manipulate features and functions at the same time, a lot of riders already report that this is an issue, my only question is how you would go about controlling the TFT AND a Nav GPS device if you were inclined to add one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've asked BMW dealers if retrofitting cruise control was possible. That and the NAV wheel. In both cases I've had responses varying from "No can do" to "no problem". Last one I asked was in between, "it depends on the bike". Knowing I had a 2014 LC, and having the VIN before his eyes, he clearly just couldn't be arsed to look it up properly. So, my thoughts are :
- Yep, be wary about what BMW dealers tell you (that's true anywhere, but one wouldn't expect that from a dealer)
- Not optimistic about retrofitting a TFT dash, if something as simple as NAV wheel / cruise control is already doubtful. Anything can be done in theory, but at what cost... I suspect it would be cheaper to sell the bike and buy a new one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When it comes to replacement models the BMW dealers are the last to know. If a customer asks if a new model is due imminently they are not put in a position where they would have to lie to make a quick sale.

Call me a cynic.

"Cynic"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts