R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting this just in case anyone else has experienced it.

I bought a 2018 GS Premium with TFT display in mid-December. Due to weather I have yet to get to ride it. (9 pre-delivery miles)

Yesterday I tried to go for a ride, but when I pushed the button for the keyless there was nothing on the display. The idiot lights on the right side were flashing, so I knew it was trying to respond, but the main display was all blank. The battery was fully charged, so no issue there.

I tried it 3 times, and had the same result. On the third time, I decided to see if the engine would start, and it did. The problem was no speedo, tach, gauges, etc.
When I called the dealer they were mystified. After contacting BMW they were told that this has been a problem with some bikes, and BMW is working on a software update.

In the meantime the dealer suggested disconnecting the battery to reset the system. Before doing so, I tried it again and the display came up as it should but I disconnected battery anyway. Now I have to wait and see if it recurs.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have read about other owners having similar issues with their TFT as well.
I would guess that as the bike gets used more and broken-in some of these anomalies may go away, I've also heard that software updates are on the way to address many problems with the TFT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here, today had my first ride with my new r1200 gs adventure + tft and after an hour driving en taking a rest for 10 minutes, my tft did not work anymore after starting my bike again.
Went to the dealer (60KM) without TFT and switching the bike on and off serveral times, which did not help. And offcourse when I arrived at the dealer the TFT started working again after switching off and on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The display is normally blanking because of a bluetooth connection problem.

Turn your phone off, and the display should reset.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 R1200GSA TFT Navigation

I just took delivery of my very own 2018 Triple Black GSA with TFT and am having an issue with getting the navigation to work. I connect the phone and helmet, the phone and music options become available in the TFT, but the navigation doesn't. Any ideas? I downloaded the App and is running.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This seem to be the BMW equivalent of Harley's sumping/primary transfer issue with the Milwaukee 8, which I, thankfully, have not personally experienced. Perhaps it was Ben Franklin who said: "Be not the first the new to try, nor last to lay the old aside". Anyway, I'm glad for now that I have the old tested analog dash...

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had faced issue of TFT not getting connected with phone helmet nav not working, very bad music connnection so and so. It becomes okay after some time even though not perfect.
The worst part is the full phone book cannot be accessed on TFT display with Iphone and with android you can access the full.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this happened to me

same issue happened to me yesterday after gassing up. TFT went blank. Tried to restart 3 times to no avail but the unit started so I went home with a blank screen.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I posted this separately on May 18:
QUOTE:
TFT blacked out but came back
'18 GS Rallye w TFT, keyless, Nav6.

Tonight I saddled up for a quick ride into town, depressed keyless, and everything came on except TFT remained dark. There was no splash, but the warning lights for ABS etc along the edge came on. Repeated keyless, and turn overs, and still dark. I spun the WW and pressed menu buttons for no joy. I was able to get to the Nav6 no problem via the menu button, and used that for a speedo into town.

After 5 mins of fiddling I concluded that either it was going to work on my way home later or I was going to take it in on Monday. As turns out, after my 20 minute errand, on my return home, everything worked just fine. Thought I would let the group know so you dont waste a lot of time fiddling.

I do plan to go in for the TFT update in the next week or so. Let you know if any more mishaps.
UNQUOTE

·
Registered
190 Posts
Happened again yesterday: drive to town, key in my pocket, power on, screen dark but engine starts, repeat 3 times for same fault, drive 10 minutes with dark screen, let sit for an hour, repeat power on and everything is fine now.

I did not go in for the update after the last incident. Today, however, I did take a video of this occurrence so when I do go for the update, I can show the service group.

I am wondering if somehow keyless contributes to this fault (since without key, screen is dark in similar fashion). Also wondering if the radio signal from the local gas pump might contribute to the fault if I place the bike too close to the pump. When I go in for the software update, Ill ask.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tft 2018

I just took delivery of my very own 2018 Triple Black GSA with TFT and am having an issue with getting the navigation to work. I connect the phone and helmet, the phone and music options become available in the TFT, but the navigation doesn't. Any ideas? I downloaded the App and is running.
My tft only shows the vehicle info, no music, no other screens work. How do I fix this so I can use with my nav 6 working as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
My tft only shows the vehicle info, no music, no other screens work. How do I fix this so I can use with my nav 6 working as well?

Thanks
Do you have your phone paired to the TFT as Phone and the BMW Connected Motorrad app install on your phone? Then you need a BT Headset paired to Helmet 1 everything should light up and work after that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tft issues

Do you have your phone paired to the TFT as Phone and the BMW Connected Motorrad app install on your phone? Then you need a BT Headset paired to Helmet 1 everything should light up and work after that.
So I do have the neotec 2 helmet with the sena srl and the Motorrad app.
Does that mean that I should remove pairing with the NAV 6?

This is probably an easy thing to solve....

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Paired to helmet 1

Can you pair the tft and the nav 6 at the same time to helmet 1?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts