40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to install a screen protector on my TFT display,
Which ones are people happy with?

·
Registered
369 Posts
A couple of comments about BMW TFT display:

The lowest form of display is plain Jane LCD. TFT LCD is next up the tech. chain with IPS LCD second best and OLED/SuperOLED at the top. Hate to bust your display bubble but TFT is primarily used on cheap smart phones with IPS and OLED on most quality devices.

Beyond display quality and it's accompanying touch sensitivity, the cover material is second in importance. Most quality devices use Gorilla Glass which is extremely scratch and damage resistant. If the BMW TFT has Gorilla Glass I've been unable to confirm but if it does, no protector film is necessary. One however might conclude that if BMW used the most economical screen (TFT) instead of higher quality displays, the use of Gorilla Glass is in question.

Which film to use in this case; they are probably all the same material so I'd go for the lowest price point?

·
Registered
52 Posts
A couple of comments about BMW TFT display:

The lowest form of display is plain Jane LCD. TFT LCD is next up the tech. chain with IPS LCD second best and OLED/SuperOLED at the top. Hate to bust your display bubble but TFT is primarily used on cheap smart phones with IPS and OLED on most quality devices.

Beyond display quality and it's accompanying touch sensitivity, the cover material is second in importance. Most quality devices use Gorilla Glass which is extremely scratch and damage resistant. If the BMW TFT has Gorilla Glass I've been unable to confirm but if it does, no protector film is necessary. One however might conclude that if BMW used the most economical screen (TFT) instead of higher quality displays, the use of Gorilla Glass is in question.

Which film to use in this case; they are probably all the same material so I'd go for the lowest price point?
I kept my gloves in front of the TFT once...and I now have a nice scuff mark, I doubt the TFT screen is Gorilla glass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m looking to protect the display screen,

For those of you that do not know what the TFT display is on a 2018 BMW GSA Rallye,
It has the bikes info, like speed,tach,gas,tps,temp,miles,

You do not touch it you look at it, the wonder wheel changes your info,

There are manufacturers like Speedo Angels,
Has any one tried them?
Others too?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Even if it is not used as a "touch screen" it gets touched. If it isn't Gorilla Glass "getting touched" will probably result in scratches. Film to apply over such screens are pretty much all the same although some may boast greater anti-glare properties. There is no super benefit from one to the other, they are cheap, work pretty good and can be replaced easily when they degrade.

3M is a leading manufacturer of this material which is purchased in bulk by re-sellers who cut it to size. I can almost guarantee you that no retailer of these manufactures the film they sell.

I have used several films on various devices and they all protect but won't change your day and require replacement every once in a while if they delaminate, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts