R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Having just purchased a used 2018 I was looking forward to all the latest electronic wizardry. Somewhat of a letdown so far with trying to link anything up to the TFT. Previous owner also had latest software installed for me as I was hoping latest would be the best. I know this has been beaten to death but latest posts seem to be from 2018. I can't even get my phone linked. It says its connected but I'm not able to see any of my phone info etc on the TFT. Phone is an I phone 6s. My Cardo Q3 definitely won't pair as per Cardo tech support. So I guess what Im asking is there anyone out there who recently went through this? It looks like the Sena 20 would work or even the 30. I don't know much about these units but if they only work marginally why bother? Am I wrong in thinking this is just a bow screwup? It can't be or else wouldn't there be many pissed off people out there. I will have to watch a video on u tube about all this. I started to watch a 58 minute one but just ended it about 10 minutes in. Thanks

·
Professional Nomad
39 Posts
Have you updated the firmware and OS on the iPhone and Q3?

I had some TFT problems with both my Android phone and Sena 20S until I upgraded the firmware/OS on both. Now both are working perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Q3 hasn't had new software probably ever. Cardo basically told me its useless to even try. Phone has has updates and bluetooth is 4. something or other. I can link phone to TFT but says its connected but nothing else. Cant do anything with it or even pull up info of my phone on tft screen. I think it doesn't allow you to do anything phone wise unless you have a bluetooth headset connected. I did get my gps to recognize the Cardo and then ask for PIN number which according to manual is 0000 but nothing happened after that

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
111 Posts
... I think it doesn't allow you to do anything phone wise unless you have a bluetooth headset connected.
That is the way it is on my new 2021 R1250GS. I've had my phone paired and all I see on TFT is how much battery I have left on the phone and the strenght of network coverage. Nothing else.
I'm waiting for my bluetooth set to arrive and then I'll see if it's any better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
OK, a few issues here and the bottom line is, you need to do a bit of research.

There’s a fantastic but long video on YT of a guy explaining why this occurs. Spoiler alert: It’s user error.

1. You must update all moving parts to the newest iteration.
2. Old Bluetooth won’t cut it.
3. There is a specific process for linking phones, NAV units and helmet coms.

You’ll get it, have patience, young Jedi.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That video got me connected. TFT, Nav V, Sena SRL, Pixel 4. The middle part from about 16:00 to 38:00 can be skipped as it's basically an advertorial for Garmin Connect and SmartLink.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Iphone 6 will not work because the BMW app will only work on ios13.1.4 and the 6 will not run that ios. You would need at least an iphone 8 or newer.

·
Super Awesom Person
679 Posts
First you need a new phone. It doesn't have to be an expensive phone because my Samsung only cost $250 and it works fine. Next load the BMW Motored app into it because, well it's freaking awesome. Download your state map into the app.
I haven't used the Cardo unit but my Sena units have worked with my BMW bikes since 2011 so I don't know why that would be a problem.
Pair the phone with the bike.
Update the helmet device software and pair the helmet using phone one. (My Sena has phone one and phone two.)
STOP. Your done for now. Don't connect the nav unit. It will work through the bike It won't do the fancy stuff like weather but it will work just fine for now.
Now you just need to turn the helmet on before turning the bike on every time. Turn the bike off then your helmet.
If you live in the San Diego area you can come over and I can help.
Wait. If Scurry says you only need a new phone for the Nav unit then perhaps your old phone will work with my instructions. I know nothing about Apple phones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First you need a new phone. It doesn't have to be an expensive phone because my Samsung only cost $250 and it works fine. Next load the BMW Motored app into it because, well it's freaking awesome. Download your state map into the app.
I haven't used the Cardo unit but my Sena units have worked with my BMW bikes since 2011 so I don't know why that would be a problem.
Pair the phone with the bike.
Update the helmet device software and pair the helmet using phone one. (My Sena has phone one and phone two.)
STOP. Your done for now. Don't connect the nav unit. It will work through the bike It won't do the fancy stuff like weather but it will work just fine for now.
Now you just need to turn the helmet on before turning the bike on every time. Turn the bike off then your helmet.
If you live in the San Diego area you can come over and I can help.
Wait. If Scurry says you only need a new phone for the Nav unit then perhaps your old phone will work with my instructions. I know nothing about Apple phones.
Are you saying that if connect my helmet and phone to the the TFT and I don't connect my helmet to the NAV VI, I will hear the directions through my helmet?

·
Super Awesom Person
679 Posts
Are you saying that if connect my helmet and phone to the the TFT and I don't connect my helmet to the NAV VI, I will hear the directions through my helmet?
Yes. you don't ever need to connect your helmet to the Nav unit. Just your phone. The Nav unit will talk through the bike connection. But don't connect your phone to the nav unit yet. Lets get the other stuff working first.
Get into the nav unit and disable the bluetooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. you don't ever need to connect your helmet to the Nav unit. Just your phone. The Nav unit will talk through the bike connection. But don't connect your phone to the nav unit yet. Lets get the other stuff working first.
Get into the nav unit and disable the bluetooth.
Thanks Rick, I have everything working Ok now with the helmet connected to the nav, the only issue I have is the nav voice is distorted. I will try your method and see if it resolves the issue.

HDK

·
Super Awesom Person
679 Posts
When people connect the helmet to the nav they have problems. It just isn't necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is the way it is on my new 2021 R1250GS. I've had my phone paired and all I see on TFT is how much battery I have left on the phone and the strenght of network coverage. Nothing else.
I'm waiting for my bluetooth set to arrive
and then I'll see if it's any better.
What is it that ur waiting on? And ur sure it will work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When people connect the helmet to the nav they have problems. It just isn't necessary.
Thanks for the input Rick. Do I need to get a new helmet comm? I can always try one of my kids phones but without new helmet comm I won’t know if it works

·
Super Awesom Person
679 Posts
Thanks for the input Rick. Do I need to get a new helmet comm? I can always try one of my kids phones but without new helmet comm I won’t know if it works
I would try it with your cardo unit and see. Just don't connect the helmet to the Nav.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
111 Posts
The cheap one I rdered from AliExpress has arrived and I connected it to the TFT and everything is working fine. I still have to install everything inside the helmet and I guess I'll stick with it because for €20 spent I have nothing to loose. And the sound is enough loud and clear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts