R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hopefully my 1200gsa last me a long time it's fantastic and probably less money than the 1300

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
You know - I saw those "leaked" photos yesterday and it made me think as an ex-Harley owner. The mantra 'bigger is better' is a marketing strategy in our current society, iPhone 1,2,3, Max etc., TV's ever increasing sizes, truck towing capacities and so on. Including the Harley Davidson engine size increases over the years. There's some pretty interesting views on HD forums that the 107ci motor is the best platform in regards to a balanced powertrain with less vibes and more free to spin up the RPM's.....for an HD product.

Harley Davidson is excellent at marketing using this increasing Cubic Inch approach. I love more power myself and would always welcome more torque/gearing changes over outright HP. Exciting to see what the 1300 will bring but I truly don't need even the 1250 I have now to be honest. As already said....weight savings. That'd be super cool!!

The test mule does look markedly different in the frame architecture. Good share/post! 1250cc is plenty and we have to trust BMW is smartly chasing 1300. Suspect the Pan America had something to do with this approach as well. BMW loves their 50cc increments too!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed. I'd love to see a R850GS model.
Me too. I had an R850R many years ago. Always thought that would have been a great GS bike.
But the reality is I doubt you'd save enough weight to make it any better off road than the 1200 series. Once I learned how to ride a 1200 off road I lost all interest in the middle weight bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a chance to ride the R1800. Honestly, my 1200 is much smoother. I am not an engineer, but those big pistons "boxing" outward is not an ideal balance When you start the 1800 you have to grip it with your legs as the bike wants to jump left than right. 1200 or 1250 may be big enough for an Adventure bike like the GS. Any bigger may cause handling issues. Just my two cents!!

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Personally, I'd love to see them return to an HP Enduro version of the bike. 21" front wheel, upgraded suspension, and drop as much weight as they can. I'm not sure how that makes any sense on the flagship bike used by its owners as more for road trip touring than getting it's tires dirty. But I promised myself that I'd never own another motorcycle that weighed more than 600 lbs and it's getting increasingly easy over the past few years to get there on a GS.

Not many GS owners would say "I want more power". Most, include myself, would say "make the bike lighter".
For owners that use them off the pavement I would completely agree but even the newest 1250GS gives up a lot to bikes like the V4S Multistrada when used to travel long miles to twisty road fun. Maybe BMW feels that they have that covered with the S1000XR but to me it's just not the same. That bike just feels soulless to me and lacks the grunt of the R engine that makes it so easy to ride.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Agreed. I'd love to see a R850GS model.
Yeah, the 850's are not boxers and they weigh 496 lbs dry. It's simply a smaller displacement bike. A 1300 isn't giving much more useable power over a 1250. Why pursue it? It's a more marketing bullshit and comparing dick sizes in a CC arms race.

Smaller bikes are coming back to the forefront because of CC fatigue and price.

I like the KTM 390 ADV, heads above the BMW G310GS. I lament selling the wife's G65GS. The G650GS was a good size.

·
Registered
66 Posts
@jaxon LOL & great points!

Unfortunately; we've never witnessed a motorcycle MFGR go backwards in displacement. Smaller CC = less heat = less coolant needed = lees radiator mass = less weight & complexity. Brilliant. Just seems that designers are handcuffed to only go upwards in CC or declare the smaller CC's spin off companion models as opposed to evolutionary new models.

Pretty cool that nobody is clamoring for more CC here! Speaks volumes of BMW riders knowledge in the product packaging. Love it.

@webfors Reckon smaller CC w/ a turbo or complex hybrid is in the future? That'd suck!

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
It seems to me that the real market these days is in the middle weight ADV bikes. Everyone has something and is improving their offerings in that segment. At the low end of the price range is the new and improved KLR 650 at less than $7K. The Yamaha T7 is an excellent very good quality bike for right at $10K. Practically everyone (KTM, BMW, etc) is getting traction with middle-weight ADV bikes. The latest 1250GS weighs more than my '16 GS and if you use it as a touring bike that might be OK.

It's my opinion that for anything other than long road trip touring weight is the enemy of a proper motorcycling experience. Sure there are great sport/touring bikes in the 600 lb range but for my money something not much over 500 lbs or preferably less makes for a more ADV fun and I'm more apt to go exploring down that gnarly looking road on that bike.

Then again, the riding I've done over the last year has been 3-4,000 mile road trips with some excursions off the pavement here and there. Big displacement like our 1200/1250 GS, the KTM SAR, etc could be properly characterized as hyper-ADV bikes? Capable of spending all day at 90 mph on the road but still good manners off the pavement. Not many mid-size ADV bikes would be comfortable doing a several hundred mile days at those kinds of speeds.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
33 Posts
The mantra 'bigger is better' is a marketing strategy in our current society, iPhone 1,2,3, Max etc., TV's ever increasing sizes, truck towing capacities and so on. Including the Harley Davidson engine size increases over the years.
I'll keep my 1200 GSA, but I'm not giving up the 85" TV. If we had the room, my wife would insist on an even bigger one. :LOL:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yesssss!! R850GS, a bit smaller, a lot lighter and still keep the final shaft drive.
BMW has done it before when they shaved 70lbs off the new R1200GS compared to the outgoing R1150GS. It can be done. But it would require looking critically at every part of the current big boxers to come up with a lighter R850GS. A big up front investment and at the same time abandoning what they have invested into the inferior parallel twin line which probably has a good profit margin with its Chinese engine and other cheap components. Yes, it should be done and I would buy it, but unlikely to happen. My hexhead weighs 505lbs with a full tank (not counting crash bars) so I’ll stick with that for now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In a car market CC goes down for the last decade or so, even Bentley will use now a 6 cylinders engine!
I know, there is turbocharging, electrification etc but in a bike world atm engine size go up so far to achieve more power and stricter Euro emissions.
I don't mind if CC go up but they should the same time make the bike lighter, much lighter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, I'd love to see them return to an HP Enduro version of the bike. 21" front wheel, upgraded suspension, and drop as much weight as they can. I'm not sure how that makes any sense on the flagship bike used by its owners as more for road trip touring than getting it's tires dirty. But I promised myself that I'd never own another motorcycle that weighed more than 600 lbs and it's getting increasingly easy over the past few years to get there on a GS.

For owners that use them off the pavement I would completely agree but even the newest 1250GS gives up a lot to bikes like the V4S Multistrada when used to travel long miles to twisty road fun. Maybe BMW feels that they have that covered with the S1000XR but to me it's just not the same. That bike just feels soulless to me and lacks the grunt of the R engine that makes it so easy to ride.
The XR certainly has BMW covered in the performance minded buyers of this segment. I have found it to be anything but soulless. The grin that gets plastered on my face as that engine howls, and screams is uncontrollable. Same when the roads get very tight, as the XR transitions so quickly and easily. It's an upright sportbike, and is superior to the V4s in handling and being significantly lighter than the V4S, I would say it's quicker as well. The new XR is nice and smooth now as well, making it more comfortable than the old XR. The XR has tons of grunt that after 6,000 rpm is transformed into a force that tries to pull your arms right off your torso. The difference is the XR wants you to use the RPM band, and the GS does not care. The transmission and shift assist pro are sublime on the XR and well suited for technical roads, and the GS transmission and shift assist pro do not perform as well.

As for the 1250, I am surprised BMW is moving on from this engine already. I would also like to see the GS lose some weight. I would also like to see the new GS get the sport function on the TFT that the XR has, and a 17" front wheel option. Lastly, I'd like to see 6th gear have a taller ratio to make the GS a bit smoother and more relaxed on slab. If they did all of this and gave the GS 150hp, I think the XR may be somewhat redundant at that point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts