R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share one of the many updates I've done to my bike since I've been stuck at home.

I took off the BMW GPS mount since I was never going to buy the actual unit and wired in a Quad Lock QI wireless phone mount. Only took about 30min to set everything up.

Hopefully my crappy video embedded correctly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That looks cool!...

I went with the 'Wireless charging' adapter that connects to the BMW GPS mount. I will hopefully have it in a couple of weeks.

I'll post back here what I thing of it after I get it....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@virkdoc

I spliced it into the bmw gps plug from the mount. If you look at the plug, with it facing away from you, there are 3 leads, the bottom two of the semi triangle they form are ground and positive. I used the included quad lock battery leads to connect to the two bmw leads, that way I don’t have to run the cable all the way to the battery and it’s only getting power when the bike is on.

If this is something you’d like to do, I can make up a quick schematic to make a little more sense of what I’m saying since I’m getting confused reading my own writing lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pretty slick. I have been having some problems with my Nav5, so might look into this. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That looks cool!...

I went with the 'Wireless charging' adapter that connects to the BMW GPS mount. I will hopefully have it in a couple of weeks.

I'll post back here what I thing of it after I get it....
Look forward to seeing exactly what that is and your thoughts on it as well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ok I have my phone mounted next to the NAV6. I wanna power it up. Can I still splice into the GPS lead and have it power both GPS and phone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I have my phone mounted next to the NAV6. I wanna power it up. Can I still splice into the GPS lead and have it power both GPS and phone?
My r1250gs GSP mount had a spliter on it with an open port (you can see it a little in the video around the 15sec mark), you may be able to wire into that but I take no responsibility if you blow up your bike lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've added some other mods to my bike as well if you want to check them out, my insta is @ynotbikes

Its 95 and 100% humidity in FL right now so not much riding at the moment, just buying stuff for the GS and planning post pandemic rides.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
On a recent trip across the US, I decided to run my iPhone 11 Pro alongside my Nav VI just to see if I could navigate properly with just the phone. Honestly, I was surprised with the phone's capabilities. All was well until I left Taos, NM and headed for Dodge City. My iPhone went dark about midway and I must assume heat got to it. Anyway, I plugged the phone in when I got to my room and it booted back up. The next day, though, I tried the use the camera function and it didn't work. I got a new phone from Apple.

Mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
iPhone 7 and newer are having issues with the Quadlok. Vibrations are transferred to the phone which eventually destroys the image stabilizer for the camera. Apparently they are working on a solution.

Also just read Quadlok has pulled the wireless charger for now as the USB-C plug in the back isn’t waterproof and it has caused issues.

Having said all that I’ve got over 7,000Kms on my Quadlok with an iPhone XR without issues

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
iPhone 7 and newer are having issues with the Quadlok. Vibrations are transferred to the phone which eventually destroys the image stabilizer for the camera. Apparently they are working on a solution.

Also just read Quadlok has pulled the wireless charger for now as the USB-C plug in the back isn’t waterproof and it has caused issues.

Having said all that I’ve got over 7,000Kms on my Quadlok with an iPhone XR without issues
Where did you read that? I bought mine directly from them a couple weeks ago, may have to request a refund if that’s the case lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
I use the Xram mount for my phone....but only temporarily. Its so hot here in India that phones shut down. So if im like really lost and Nav not helping I mount up the phone next to the nav and use it

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where did you read that? I bought mine directly from them a couple weeks ago, may have to request a refund if that’s the case lol.

I got a small package from China today, and didn't think I ordered anything....I didn't. But inside that package was a small envelope inside a ziplock bag. I was concerned at first and held it up to the light and I saw through the envelope it was something related to my Quadlock wireless charger.

Opening it there was an explanation that Quadlock had discovered an issue with their USB-C cable and were supplying 2 grommets to seal the connection.

Very happy how they followed up with a known issue, and quickly.

brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a small package from China today, and didn't think I ordered anything....I didn't. But inside that package was a small envelope inside a ziplock bag. I was concerned at first and held it up to the light and I saw through the envelope it was something related to my Quadlock wireless charger.

Opening it there was an explanation that Quadlock had discovered an issue with their USB-C cable and were supplying 2 grommets to seal the connection.

Very happy how they followed up with a known issue, and quickly.

brian
I ended up sealing mine in heat shrink tubing so I'm not too worried. No issues yet but I've got a 2.5k ride next week, so should be a good test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really like the QuadLock, been using them for years on my road and Mtn bikes (bicycles) and love them, my preference was to install one on the GS but they don't have a wireless charging option for motorcycles. So I ordered and installed one of these: https://motopowerpuck.com/
This is an amazing product, works amazing, waterproof with options when ordering for power connector, DIN, battery terminals. Plus it works with pretty much any case, where QuadLock requires you have their case, which means additional purchases when switching phones.
The only downside, and a very minor one is even though the mount is rock solid it is not as quick to mount/unmount as QualLock. Longer trips this has not been an issue, for around town with mutiple stops it can be a little annoying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts