R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just finished a 2.5k road trip and it worked great up until the last 2 days of the 7 day trip. Would sometimes go in and out of charging, I contacted quad lock to see if its part of this issue their devices are having. I had sealed everything in shrink cabling but we will see if water is the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Look forward to seeing exactly what that is and your thoughts on it as well.
So this is the unit I bought..

So far, it's great. Holds the phone (I have a samsung Galaxy S9+) very well. after I got it, I found out that the case I had on my phone won't allow for wireless charging... I used it for a week without the charging capability now have a case that it works with... It's $80.... but I think it's worth it.

Reactions: TheBOOT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh... sorry.. One thing that is a CON.... It does not 'lock' into the GPS gradle. It clips in top and bottom and is very secure in there, but I wish it would lock.

·
Registered
809 Posts
@mikec
On a recent trip across the US, I decided to run my iPhone 11 Pro alongside my Nav VI just to see if I could navigate properly with just the phone. Honestly, I was surprised with the phone's capabilities. All was well until I left Taos, NM and headed for Dodge City. My iPhone went dark about midway and I must assume heat got to it. Anyway, I plugged the phone in when I got to my room and it booted back up. The next day, though, I tried the use the camera function and it didn't work. I got a new phone from Apple.

Mike
Depending on your route, Taos -> Dodge City pretty much is middle of nowhere. How was navigation overall phone vs garmin? Did you have gps service issues at all with your phone? ATT? Verizon? Are you ready to dump your Nav VI?
Where and how did you mount it? Alongside...does that mean right next to it? there's no room for my Note 9 up there and it would likely interfere with the windscreen, I think?
I am thinking of cutting the cord to my garmin and going with my Samsung Note 9, but two issues concern me.
1) reliability of navigation with a phone only approach in the real boonies, ie without preloading maps.
2) where to mount it. I have a tank bag that hides part of the 2016 GS display from my short POV. and I have my Garmin 665 mounted in the BMW GPS mount. So, I think I would have to mount laterally on the handlebars---not crazy about that.
3) charging out on the bars could be an issue, but my samsung Note 9 has remarkably good battery life, so I think it could last the better part of a day on battery. Running a usb cord out to the bars could be an aesthetic issue if nothing else
However, if the usability of the phone is the equal to the garmin for nav, I would remove the garmin and mount my phone up there.
Thoughts?
tia

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
@mikec

Depending on your route, Taos -> Dodge City pretty much is middle of nowhere. How was navigation overall phone vs garmin? Did you have gps service issues at all with your phone? ATT? Verizon? Are you ready to dump your Nav VI?
Where and how did you mount it? Alongside...does that mean right next to it? there's no room for my Note 9 up there and it would likely interfere with the windscreen, I think?
I am thinking of cutting the cord to my garmin and going with my Samsung Note 9, but two issues concern me.
1) reliability of navigation with a phone only approach in the real boonies, ie without preloading maps.
2) where to mount it. I have a tank bag that hides part of the 2016 GS display from my short POV. and I have my Garmin 665 mounted in the BMW GPS mount. So, I think I would have to mount laterally on the handlebars---not crazy about that.
3) charging out on the bars could be an issue, but my samsung Note 9 has remarkably good battery life, so I think it could last the better part of a day on battery. Running a usb cord out to the bars could be an aesthetic issue if nothing else
However, if the usability of the phone is the equal to the garmin for nav, I would remove the garmin and mount my phone up there.
Thoughts?
tia
You're right about my route from Taos to Dodge City. It was definitely close to the middle of nowhere! I was given a Ram mount with an arm and mounted on the right side of the handlebar, near where they bolt to the triple tree. I leaned the arm to the right so I could see my TFT screen. It was powered through the OEM accessory plug. I used my iPhone 11 Pro's map routing from my current location to a motel in Dodge. It found the route quickly and performed well until it didn't. That was somewhere close to Boise City. I use Verizon and, though I had no service at times, the GPS function seemed to be okay.

I've gotta tell you, a friend gave me the mounting as his phone died, presumably from heat, and he went back to his 665. I asked him about loading my own routes into a phone & he didn't know how to do that. I also inquired about saving tracks and that was an unknown, too. With my Garmin, I can do complex routes via BaseCamp and save my tracks. There may be a way to do that on my new iPhone 11 Pro but I just don't know. If you want to let the phone show you the way, I suppose they're good for that but I like to pick my own routes. I just did the MABDR using my Nav VI and it was flawless. I didn't bother mounting my iPhone as I didn't want to mess it up.

Mike

·
Survivor
686 Posts
I have the QuadLock on my GSA, but I use it sparingly. I got it to use in case my NAV VI goes wonky. The one time I used it was when Spousal Unit and I got separated while going thru Salt Lake City on a 100 degree day. I stopped, mounted my iPhone and started tracking her using the "Find My" app. I was like James Bond tracking Goldfinger. I believe using a phone mount on a motorcycle is very tough on a phone snd can lead to an early demise.

Reactions: mikec

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks for the followup. Creative use of Find My Phone!
So, if I can read between the lines, you are both saying it isn't "all that." Y'all both have iPhones. I have an android samsung note 9. I suppose heat will be a problem, but I am only seeing camera issues with the iPhones.
My plan is to mount the quadlock on the gps bar, probably less vibration than the bars. PLan on using my phone for phone and sirius xm and ditch the garmin charge for the service on the 665. I am reluctant to do anything though because of reports like yours and I hate things sticking out all over on the bike, preferring a cleaner look

21 - 28 of 28 Posts