R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
In many states, it's illegal to drive a pickup truck with the tailgate open. Not to say people don't do it, but that's the rule... and why should the pickup carry more people than the bike?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Family trip

Sometimes you go on a trip with your family, and your wife doesn´t like to drive... and there´s the chance to take your bike and ride it!
Remeber when you were a kid and you used to bring your toys everywhere? It happens that our toys grow as we do! :wink2:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I like GreyBeard's setup better. I just don't understand why someone would carry their bike instead of riding it. :rolleyes:
My GS is set up a bit differently than some of you guys. I've got Michelin Wilds on it for riding at least 50% of my time off-road. So when I'm headed someplace several hundred miles or more away, and don't want to fuss with a tire change during the trip, I'll haul it. But in principle, I agree completely with you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My GS is set up a bit differently than some of you guys. I've got Michelin Wilds on it for riding at least 50% of my time off-road. So when I'm headed someplace several hundred miles or more away, and don't want to fuss with a tire change during the trip, I'll haul it. But in principle, I agree completely with you.
Shod it with TKC80's and don't worry about switching. The TKC's handle and last on pavement amazingly well.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
Hmm. Specific, more or less reasonable justifications for hauling the bike. So you are still at Stage One in the progression of the syndrome, and a cure is still possible.

When you start saying things like "it's about riding only the quality miles," the condition has advanced to Stage Two, and the prognosis becomes much less optimistic.

At Stage Three, you buy a Harley, haul it to a big rally, and ride it so little that you don't have to refill the gas tank. At this point, the syndrome is usually incurable, and almost inevitably progresses to Stage Four, where you haul your bike to the event and never actually unload it from the truck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmm. Specific, more or less reasonable justifications for hauling the bike. So you are still at Stage One in the progression of the syndrome, and a cure is still possible.

When you start saying things like "it's about riding only the quality miles," the condition has advanced to Stage Two, and the prognosis becomes much less optimistic.

At Stage Three, you buy a Harley, haul it to a big rally, and ride it so little that you don't have to refill the gas tank. At this point, the syndrome is usually incurable, and almost inevitably progresses to Stage Four, where you haul your bike to the event and never actually unload it from the truck.
This is perfect! Love it. And coming from someone that lives in the middle of the country I give you major cred for riding your bike to the good stuff. I'm going to steal and use your "stages" the next time my sissy pants friends haul their bikes on a trailer.

I've gone as far as 5 hours ride on the road on knobbies to get to the trail head. When I go visit my family in Georgia and need my truck there as well, it's more like I'm bringing a bike along on a car trip than than the other way around. However, I'll admit that in no way diminishes the shame I feel for hoisting my GS into the back of my truck and I will take my time in the penalty box until I make that trip again on the bike :grin2:

Your Honor, as mitigating evidence for my behavior, may I present the following evidence?

7,100 miles of Trans America Trail:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-first-adventure-ride-the-tat.1077645/

Over 4,000 miles LA to Alaska:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/los-angeles-to-anchorage-in-april.1294512/

My avatar where I rode over 3,200 miles to get to Going to the Sun Road :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Shod it with TKC80's and don't worry about switching. The TKC's handle and last on pavement amazingly well.
They do last pretty well used in road miles. I took the OEM tires off my GS with less than 800 miles on them and I've been through a couple of sets of those before the current set of Michelin Wilds. The Wilds seem to be lasting a bit longer. I can also say that I've railed on both sets pretty hard in the twisties and the grip isn't bad at all.

I rode this set of Wilds from Annapolis to Maggie Valley on the slab to meet some friends. Then rode a TAT-like off-road route from there to Cooperstown NY, then back home to Annapolis. There was still more than half the tread life left on them after that trip.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Haul? Haul?, ok, I understand the tire thing. Still...

So, I saw a pickup truck hauling 2 KTMs. They passed me ( on my GS)< can't remember where, somewhere where they should have been ashamed. :smile2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts