R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you get right down to it, other than look and maybe higher shocks, there is no significant difference. WAIT... hear me out. Since we have time now to discuss, lets do so.

Ok, like I said for all intents and purposes there is no difference. Consider the following:

TAKE your GS, you add, 27 to 32 pounds of protective scaffolding, wires, lights etc , if both bikes have the same amount of gas, I think they would be so close in actual weight that one would not be able to feel the different in weight either picking ip up or riding.

DISCUSS!!

·
2019 R1250 GSA
120 Posts
You forgot to take into account one major difference between the GS and the GSA.....gas tank volume

·
Registered
299 Posts
You get more Adventure with a GS Adventure than you do with a GS.

I think it's that extra fuel and more suspension travel that does it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
Engine and dash board are the same , and that's it.
Better shocks
Better clearance
Better off road settings ( ESA )
And much bigger gas tank ..... and you travel on some very weird and desert area , it makes a great difference.
I did a lots of travel in desert area , or area where the gas is so bad , no gas station , just gas out of a dirty can ,that you try to go to the next gas station to find some better one ...you can't imagine in my Africa round trip ...

I bought my first BMW in 1988 and always on BMW till that .... I rode both GS and GSA , I never kept the GS a long time

Chris

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi
Engine and dash board are the same , and that's it.
Better shocks
Better clearance
Better off road settings ( ESA )
And much bigger gas tank ..... and you travel on some very weird and desert area , it makes a great difference.
I did a lots of travel in desert area , or area where the gas is so bad , no gas station , just gas out of a dirty can ,that you try to go to the next gas station to find some better one ...you can't imagine in my Africa round trip ...

I bought my first BMW in 1988 and always on BMW till that .... I rode both GS and GSA , I never kept the GS a long time

Chris
Not better, but different.
No doubt in Africa where you ride, the GSA is a better choice as between it and the GS. In most other places- most of the US, where gas stations abound, for example, the GS may be the better choice. It is in NYC, where the GSA’s extra bulk makes it a load to haul around.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My mission was some pretty hard core adventuring that included challenging off-road as well as long road miles. My reason for selecting the GS over a GSA is that I wanted to make all my own informed choices about all those extras that come on the GSA. I feel that the protection parts, luggage racks, and luggage options available on the market offer better, more robust options than standard fro, BMW. Yeah, I probably spent as much as buying a GSA but I got exactly what I wanted.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not criticizing GSA owners at all. But for all you folks trying to decide between a GS and a GSA I feel that people overthink the fuel capacity thing way too much. Realistically, how often are you going on an adventure where you need those extra few gallons between fuel stops? A few years ago, I rode to Alaska in mid-April before many places where open and some gas stations did not yet have fuel. Several of the places where we stopped in the Yukon Territory remarked that we were the first motorcycles they'd seen that year. We refueled anytime the opportunity presented itself and we were approaching half a tank and we made it just fine. It would have to be a pretty extreme adventure to need more than 200 miles range and in that rare case, I'd strap on a couple of rotopax for the extra fuel.

8 gallon tank - not a reason unless you're thinking of following Ewan on his next big adventure. Oh wait, he and Charlie did that on electric bikes with a very short range and still made it from Ushuaia to LA.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My mission was some pretty hard core adventuring that included challenging off-road as well as long road miles. My reason for selecting the GS over a GSA is that I wanted to make all my own informed choices about all those extras that come on the GSA. I feel that the protection parts, luggage racks, and luggage options available on the market offer better, more robust options than standard fro, BMW. Yeah, I probably spent as much as buying a GSA but I got exactly what I wanted.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not criticizing GSA owners at all. But for all you folks trying to decide between a GS and a GSA I feel that people overthink the fuel capacity thing way too much. Realistically, how often are you going on an adventure where you need those extra few gallons between fuel stops? A few years ago, I rode to Alaska in mid-April before many places where open and some gas stations did not yet have fuel. Several of the places where we stopped in the Yukon Territory remarked that we were the first motorcycles they'd seen that year. We refueled anytime the opportunity presented itself and we were approaching half a tank and we made it just fine. It would have to be a pretty extreme adventure to need more than 200 miles range and in that rare case, I'd strap on a couple of rotopax for the extra fuel.

8 gallon tank - not a reason unless you're thinking of following Ewan on his next big adventure. Oh wait, he and Charlie did that on electric bikes with a very short range and still made it from Ushuaia to LA.
Also depends where one is riding.....we did the Himalayas a couple of times......and fuel was needed.....on the Tigers and with Rotopax we remember we ran out and luckily for us we happened across an army camp who helped us.....did the same with the GSA and was a no brainer.
So yes see what ur individual needs are and decide accordingly. Both are great bikes I presume.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Only time I came col was last year fom Happy Valley, Goose Bay to Port Hope Simpson. We were gentle on the throttles the entire time and when I got the fuel station the counter said I had 4 miles to empty. I put in well over 20 liters in a 20L tank.

The only reason I'd want a larger fuel range is I don't like stopping for fuel. Especially if riding with a few buddies it always turns into a 20 or 30 minute stop. Get fuel then one guy will have to piss. He gets back and another goes and gets a drink and snack then he'll have to piss.

This is also why I'm working on a aux quick connect fuel cell. When I need it click it onto the pillion seat.
For everyday riding remove it and enjoy the slimmed down GS.

I have 3 GS. 2 with full bas and the 3rd I have striped off all the farkles except for cylinder guards (only until the sell) and a top case. Its a lot more fun to ride compared to the others with 60lb of bags, crash bas and doodad's adorning it. Less IS more!

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I start to seek second hand bike like these, I was lean to Adv, but in my country was only one and within few days miss it. Also this depends on money that I have in this moment. Two years after that situation is same. But now I have my GS.
Few years ago I have Kawa KLE500 with pretty small tank (15l) and for long distance 300-400km or so is not so convenient. Primary target was biger bike with biger tank.
From my location to Aegean or Black Sea (approx same) I have 400km. With one stop in the middle is OK, but if I have bigger tank for me will be easy peasy.
Now I have GS, but if have enough money will buy one more in a garage and this will be GSA - pluses are long row that every one may read in a dealer. For me primary is a biggest tank ever mounted on bike and also heavy bike is more stable when I pass close to front part of big trucks. Every one knows.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When in the used/second hand market sometimes you settle for what is available vs what you want.

I am glad I got a GSA as if I do get lost or need the fuel range I have it. In reality, for day trips if I know I'm not going far (and the route) I can always put in less than the 8 gal. I do find that the extra suspension makes a nice ride on the road but don't have a regular GS to compare it to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would say the difference comes down to you! I feel lucky just to have a GSA! If weight is a issue only put in 5.3 gallons of fuel, and don’t look down to the tank, your suppose to keep your eyes ahead you so the bike will follow where your looking!
I feel the GSA has a smoother motor, maybe just me. Ride them both and you’ll be won over by the balance of a GS/GSA. They are a Ballerina when the clutch lets out just a wonderful Motorcycle like no other!
Good luck

1 - 20 of 42 Posts