R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Currently ride a 2012 super tenere and 2016 goldwing. Looking to move to just one do-it-all bike. I like some gravel road riding for exploration and I love Iron Butt Rides.

The goldwing is a little cramped for me at 6'6" and the yamaha is getting a little long in the tooth. So, considering a GS or GSA.
Questions:
Are there still final drive issues?
Will i have to upgrade the suspension? I weigh 235 without gear and the yamaha was way too soft.
Is the GS user maintainable?
New or late model used? In other words, get one with a warranty?
How is the 1250? bettter than a late model 1200?
Will it need an aftermarket windscreen, since I'm 6'6"?
Which dealer in Midwest do you like best? I live in SW Missouri and dont mind going a few hundred miles.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Super Awesom Person
563 Posts
Iron butt? Get the GSA as it has a 7.9 gallon tank.
No final drive issues.
You don't need to upgrade the suspension until it gets 30k or more miles on it.
It is maintainable but you need a way to clear the service light.
I always buy new but if I bought used I would stick with one with the TFT display.
The 1250 has more power but I don't know if it's better. Not enough to trade in my 2018.
Yes and there are a lot of people making aftermarket stuff for it. A Lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iron butt? Get the GSA as it has a 7.9 gallon tank.
No final drive issues.
You don't need to upgrade the suspension until it gets 30k or more miles on it.
It is maintainable but you need a way to clear the service light.
I always buy new but if I bought used I would stick with one with the TFT display.
The 1250 has more power but I don't know if it's better. Not enough to trade in my 2018.
Yes and there are a lot of people making aftermarket stuff for it. A Lot.
Thanks. That's helpful. Definitely, liking the GSA fuel capacity.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello all,
Currently ride a 2012 super tenere and 2016 goldwing. Looking to move to just one do-it-all bike. I like some gravel road riding for exploration and I love Iron Butt Rides.

The goldwing is a little cramped for me at 6'6" and the yamaha is getting a little long in the tooth. So, considering a GS or GSA.
Questions:
Are there still final drive issues?
Will i have to upgrade the suspension? I weigh 235 without gear and the yamaha was way too soft.
Is the GS user maintainable?
New or late model used? In other words, get one with a warranty?
How is the 1250? bettter than a late model 1200?
Will it need an aftermarket windscreen, since I'm 6'6"?
Which dealer in Midwest do you like best? I live in SW Missouri and dont mind going a few hundred miles.

Thanks,
Doug
Given you are 6.6 yes the GSA will be the bike to go for you.
If money is not an issue go for the newest....the 1250.
Otherwise a late model 2017 with upgraded ESA would be good.
I also weigh about the same and had asked Ted Porter regarding upgraded springs.....to which he had said we usually go to them if the rider weighs 250lbs plus.
Get one and ride it and see how you feel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given you are 6.6 yes the GSA will be the bike to go for you.
If money is not an issue go for the newest....the 1250.
Otherwise a late model 2017 with upgraded ESA would be good.
I also weigh about the same and had asked Ted Porter regarding upgraded springs.....to which he had said we usually go to them if the rider weighs 250lbs plus.
Get one and ride it and see how you feel.
Yeah, just gotta go get a test ride. Just a couple hours drive to the nearest dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my GSA! Did a couple, for me, must do mods: Seat: the stock seat was a bit too unsupportive/soft/low for my liking so I had a local guy work me up a custom seat which GREATLY improved the overall comfort and rideability! Added this for the extra height: MRA X-creen Touring Clamp-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension | TwistedThrottle.com
Suspension: I'm 6'5" and about 220 so stock set up was overall decent & workable. But taking wife and loaded up with gear for a few days it was getting overloaded so I did contact Ted Porter and got brand new Tractive set up which was the best money I've spent in quite some time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Came from a 2011 GS to a 2020 1250 GSA. Night and day difference. Power is amazing, no clunking transmission, seat is actually tolerable, cruise control, 7.9gal tank, 45mpg all day long, 50mpg if I'm easy on her, quick shift, ABS Pro, Dynamic Ride Pro, auto leveling suspension. I wouldn't hesitate to get the R1250 again. Upgrade the windscreen to a vStream Touring without the extra support. It's a great height and doesn't need the support. Yes it's gonna shake, it's a giant piece of plastic out in the wind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
S10 are great bikes. I've packed several thousand miles on all the bikes you mentioned and the S10 handles better off-road than a GS/GSA IMO. Between it's longer suspension and bigger gas tank, the GSA is ponderous off-road. The regular GS feels better off-road but still not as good as an S10.

But if you want to Iron Butt / Do-it-all motorcycle, the GSA is unmatched. It's the Leatherman of motorcycles. Do they make better scissors? Better pliers? Of course. GSA is not great at anything, but it's better than it should be at almost everything, and that ability to tackle anything, anytime, anywhere, is it's true worth. The S10 simply doesn't have the wind protection to make pleasant, slabbing multiple 10 hour days at 80mph.

Between the GS's, spiritually, the 1200 is no comparison to the 1250. I rode several 1200's and they really weren't on my radar. Decent, but a bit too underpowered, a bit too buzzy, a bit too lazy. The moment I felt that 1250, I was sold. Not revolutionary in terms of specifications but the improvements take it over the hump from 'lukewarm' to 'really good'. If I were forced to choose between a S10 and a regular R1200, I would go S10. The 2014+ S10 has some improvements that your 2012 lacks so they might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you're in MO, there's no reason not to visit Gateway BMW in St. Louis - they're a gem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts