R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a BMW GS and will have to trade my Harley in. I have a dealer in the next state that will do a trade. They have a nice looking 2015 1200 GS Premium with 49,000 miles on it. I wanted to see if this many miles would deter folks from trading?? Is there areas that I would need to be really concerned with, with that many miles on it. It looks to me to have been mostly highway miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are asking $7990. That seamed very reasonable for a 2015, even with 49,000 miles. I was kind of set on the Adventure, wanted the bigger tank with the stock crash bars.

Not sure there is that much difference between the GS and the GSA models.

·
Registered
297 Posts
One thing to consider. Will you ride offroad? If so you may want to get a bike with spoked wheels vs cast. No problem doing some offroad with cast just realize they aren't as durable.

That price isn't bad of IF is equipped how you want. Easy to spend $3000+ on panniers, seat, lights, crashbars, other farkles, etc, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike comes with spoked wheels but no panniers or frames for them. I would have to add those. My off road would probably be fire roads, gravel roads out West while touring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2016 GS has has 46,000 miles on it. Would I buy a GS with that many miles in a heartbeat. Zero problems since day one.

If you do check out the flea market on adventure rider there’s always good deals on Farkle’s there!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd also slip on over the that Adventure site and sign up as a member. Its free and then you'll have access to the "flea market" section. Tons of bikes of all makes and models and parts f/s.

GSA has the larger gas tank, taller suspension (usually), better wind protection, and the GSA makes you cooler then those on the GS.
GSA rule #1 - Thou must stand'th on thy pegs when thou'st roll'ith into Starbucks so everyone can see'ith your $2,500 safety yellow twat suit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealership has a 2015 GSA as well with 18000 miles, but they want $5,000 more than the 2015 GA with 49,000 miles. That's a big difference in miles, but damn, $5,000??? I'm not sure I can spend that much more to get a true GSA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do both the GS and GSA have full service histories? Have the warranty fixes been done? Have you ridden both bikes? If the GS fits most of your needs, you can buy Rotopak gas containers for longer trips, $60 rather than $5000. Realistically, a low mileage GSA is simply more in demand and saleable, so higher priced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at a 2015 gsa here in Australia but 2nd hand with approx 60 to 70 thousand kms there about 20k to buy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do both the GS and GSA have full service histories? Have the warranty fixes been done? Have you ridden both bikes? If the GS fits most of your needs, you can buy Rotopak gas containers for longer trips, $60 rather than $5000. Realistically, a low mileage GSA is simply more in demand and saleable, so higher priced.
You might want to look at the accessories on the GSA. I just bought upper and lower Wunderlich crash bars and had to drop $650 just for those two items, so farkles can add up quick.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’ve got a 2016 GS/A with 23k miles that maybe of interest to those whom might be in the market for one..getting a bit old & weak to ride one of these beasts any more. Has all the options and Nav V ..less keyless start..

Clay
[email protected]

·
Registered
781 Posts
GSA has the larger gas tank, taller suspension (usually), better wind protection, and the GSA makes you cooler then those on the GS.
Really Ryno ??? I think I'd look cool on a moped
Shh, don't tell him. The GSA guys think they look cooler, but the GS guys know they look smarter.
Taller suspension would be a drawback for my 5'7" frame, wind protection on my GS is still pretty good, never wished for the larger tank, though I have wished for a larger bladder.

That's a good price for the 15 GSA. Panniers, a topcase and crashbars, would likely be ~~2k??
Whatever you choose, make sure it "fits" you. Also, many will replace the seat, add a GPS, or use their smartphone, or get an inreach or a spot.
49k miles is nothing if the bike looks good. If you have the VIN you can get any dealer to look up the service history.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im 70 and I'll keep my 14 gs. Go for it if the price is what you want. It makes a great road bike even if you don't go off road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2015 gsa for 12.2k usd with 35k miles (I'm in California). It had the full touratech luggage plus all the standard stuff on the gsa - all of which I wanted. I've been looking for several months and this seemed like a good deal. Both prices you mentioned for the gs and gsa sounded pretty reasonable to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why are you worried about a BMW with that many miles and you were not worried about a HD with any miles. Having worked at both dealerships... ANY BMW ( for the most part) is better! Just - sayin'! No offense intended. Just my observation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts