R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 R1200 GS, 62,000 Km on it. Right side tick. Valves adjusted. Quiets down when clutch lever compressed and or rpm's raised. Just enough to annoy me and ponder imminent CIAOS DEATH AND EXPLOSIONS! I am a worrier. Any insight greatly appreciated as usual. Thanks

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
A noise that goes away when you pull in the clutch is unlikely to be a valve train noise, or an engine noise at all for that matter.

I have read that Hexhead transmissions have a sort of cush-drive on the transmission input shaft (similar to Harley's infamous "compensator sprocket") to smooth out power pulses a bit, and that these have a not terribly uncommon benign failure mode which does nothing beyond make a bit of noise. Can't say I've ever heard that sound myself, so don't know if it's a ticking or not.

There is also a thread somewhere on this forum where a guy spent forever chasing a noise and it turned out to be a loose windshield screw!

These bikes are in many ways mechanically farm implements (though with supercomputer electronics!) and make lots and lots of noises. I have gotten in the habit of simply ignoring "funny noises" if all the routine adjustments are within spec.

Your mileage (and sanity) may vary, of course.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A noise that goes away when you pull in the clutch is unlikely to be a valve train noise, or an engine noise at all for that matter.

a guy spent forever chasing a noise and it turned out to be a loose windshield screw!

These bikes are in many ways mechanically farm implements (though with supercomputer electronics!) and make lots and lots of noises. I have gotten in the habit of simply ignoring "funny noises" if all the routine adjustments are within spec.
Your mileage (and sanity) may vary, of course.
I was quite sure it was drive train as well since when the clutch was engaged it stopped. Gets louder when hot. It's driving well, shifts fine, no clutch slippage and great acceleration. I wish it were a loose nut. Only found one and he's holding the wrench. For now it's keep it in gear to shut it up. Cheers

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had a 2004 1150 roadster and iirc the chain tensioner made that noise. I don't remember the clutch playing any role though, and it was an 1150, not a 1200.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a 2004 1150 roadster and iirc the chain tensioner made that noise. I don't remember the clutch playing any role though, and it was an 1150, not a 1200.
So far the consensus is "It's nothing they all do that" all the way to "Yer bearings are going and if you don't do it now your trans. will dis integrate $3k minimum" ??? I'm going to change the gear oil and see what it says. No metal to worries I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I had intended to change the tensioners if they weren't all ready but would that stop when the clutch was engaged?
I cannot tell you that. It certainly cured my '09 but I don't recall the clutch either being or not being engaged. The cam chain tensioner was a known issue in that series of engines. The parts isn't too expensive and you can install it. Personally, I'd make the change and see what happens as it cannot hurt the engine.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts