R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R1200GS had Vario fitted when purchased and whilst they would not be my first option I will make do with them for now.
What I would like to have is some additional tie-down points as there are very few on these bikes with pannier frames.
The attached photo shows some green tape in an area that MAY be strong enough to bolt on some simple attachments for straps' Without dismantling the panniers to investigate further can anyone tell me if they have dis-assembled a Vario to investigate and if this would be possible?

PC010054.JPG

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you open the lid and take a Philips head screwdriver and remove the 2 or 4 screws you'll see whats behind the areas you've highlighted.

Not sure if you are tying down feather pillows or bags of concrete but its not a place I'd use as a tie down point.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think that plastic material is enough strong, but will be impossible to open the pannier with additional luggage above. Otherwise intensive rain may cause leakige in the door that you not possible to see. If you plan to attach light sleeping bag there, passenger bar will be enough strong for this. Even with pillion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that plastic material is enough strong, but will be impossible to open the pannier with additional luggage above. Otherwise intensive rain may cause leakige in the door that you not possible to see. If you plan to attach light sleeping bag there, passenger bar will be enough strong for this. Even with pillion.
i am wanting to have suitable points to secure a quite large roll top dry bag that I have and it contains my camping kit. I find the passenger bars a little too far inward to do what I want. With your comments and those from another reply I will proceed with all caution. There will not be any significant force applied to any additional points. The bag that I have is actually a Triumph bag from my Tiger 800 days and it is a ripper. I will also look at putting the additional securing points on the Vario main body away from lid so as not to interfere with open/close actions. Thx again

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
394 Posts
I got the varios with my 2009 gs. I looked in every nook and cranny for a way to add some tie down points

The plastic is not solid enough for tapping, bolts and washer should be used... but the vario mechanism don't leave a lot of clearance. The place you have marked with green tape might work, on this thread a guy made it Vario Cases Modifications

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
394 Posts
Sorry RTTX, the Wunderlich rack is a ridiculously overpriced. $150 piece of sheet... metal... and that is the price for one side only. I have attache the PDF installation instructions.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Selling the Vario's and replacing the with aftermarket racks and aluminum panniers is you best option. Tusk panniers are $274.99, mounting pucks $10 - $100 (depending on how handy you are) and keep an eye out for Touratech racks for around $200 and you'll have a set up that is functional, lighter, more durable and more volume in the same amount of space.

07GS.jpg
DL1.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts