R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I'm still fairly new to motorcycles. I was checking the air on my tires today and noticed these tiny cracks on the front tire. It is an Anakee Adventure 120/70-19. This tire was new as of February 2021 and has about 8,000 miles on it so far. At about 18,000 miles, I got a screw in the back tire. I took it in to replace the back tire and also do the required service. The tech said that the front tire had at least another 3,000 miles worth of wear, so I opted to not have it changed then.

In about the next week I'll be riding south from Portland to San Diego and figured I can stop along the way to replace the tire since it will be due about then. Are these cracks normal wear and tear or is it an indicator that it should be changed prior to my departure?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Super Awesom Person
770 Posts
Looks normal to me but I would replace it before the trip anyway. It's always a pain to get a tire changed during a trip. Also during a rainstorm the front tire is the one moving the water out of the way so the deeper the tread the better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks normal to me but I would replace it before the trip anyway. It's always a pain to get a tire changed during a trip. Also during a rainstorm the front tire is the one moving the water out of the way so the deeper the tread the better.
Thanks, I appreciate your insight. I'll see if I can find a place locally that has availability before I head out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts