R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried installing tires DIY and ended up scratching the wheel paint badly. Can someone look at the pics and let me know what is the paint code/name of this paint and where can I buy some touch-up paint....any help is much appreciated...

Thank You
Javvy

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,007 Posts
Touch-up paint in a lot if instances looks worse than what you were trying to ix. From the pics you posted I can hardly see the scuffed paint. If it were me unless totally refinishing the wheel I'd just let it go as is. As soon as you ride the bike the wheels get dirty.

If you do want to try touching up the effected areas ride down to he local body shop or automotive paint store and see what they can do to color match.

Reactions: Zubb and Søren K

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
780 Posts
I had a cast wheel repaired and repainted. The guy who fixed it explained me that the BMW uses 3 differents paints (base coat, top coat, satin clear) to achieve that finish, that's why the price was higher and I had to wait longer for the clear to dry.

I agree with PerraziMx14, leave it like that.

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200GS
55 Posts
Tried installing tires DIY and ended up scratching the wheel paint badly. Can someone look at the pics and let me know what is the paint code/name of this paint and where can I buy some touch-up paint....any help is much appreciated...

Thank You
Javvy

View attachment 33958
View attachment 33957
View attachment 33954
View attachment 33956
View attachment 33955
[/QUOTE

Thank You
Javvy

View attachment 33958
View attachment 33957
View attachment 33954
View attachment 33956
View attachment 33955
Here ya go: colorrite.com paint name is N 32 Magnessium Netallic Matte

·
Survivor
960 Posts
To do it correctly you will need to sand the edges of the scratch to feather them in; apply the paint, probably in multiple coats; sand the new paint to get it even with the OE paint; apply clear coat; sand again, then polish. After all that. it will probably look like a DIY paint job. It takes a bit of skill, knowledge, experience, patience and talent to blend a touch up on a modern paint job; especially on something with compound turns, like a wheel.

I've never done all of this but watched an experienced painter do it on a car. I knew right away I had none of what it takes to do it correctly. But if you want it covered in truck bed liner, then I'm your man.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I appreciate that you cannot ‘unsee it‘ but looking at your photos the damage looks insignificant. Put it down to wear and tear. There‘s a good chance more significant damage will appear after a few more months/years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH Sorry folks I have not posted the damaged area pics, will do shortly....It is bad....I went to town wrestling with tire iron on the wheel....you will see...some touch-up is needed to just blend the blemish...

Thank you bruce for the info will look for a vendor to buy that...

Javvy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha, good advice Wasserbox.....trying to do that by installing 50/50 tires so I can be more confident on the dirt trails......

Attached are the pics as promised...The wheel balanced out ok....just the aesthetics look all chewed up...

I bought the touch paint from colorrite, as per Bruces color code advise.....

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
270 Posts
haha, good advice Wasserbox.....trying to do that by installing 50/50 tires so I can be more confident on the dirt trails......

Attached are the pics as promised...The wheel balanced out ok....just the aesthetics look all chewed up...

I bought the touch paint from colorrite, as per Bruces color code advise.....

View attachment 33990
View attachment 33989
View attachment 33988
View attachment 33987
View attachment 33986
View attachment 33985
I don’t understand how you got gauges into the side flanks of the rim. Normally the tire irons only touch the very outside edge of the rim, as pivot point to lift the tire bead over the edge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To the OP.
Damage happens at times……get the rims fixed and move on. There are lots of excellent online tire changing videos you can review for future tire changes. I mounted tires with screwdrivers when young…..pinched a few tubes until purchasing real tire irons.

I‘ve owned a NoMar tire machine for 13 years…..some tires are tough to mount and I still use tire irons as needed.
NoMar has excellent tire mount videos on their website.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts