R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten a second set of wheels for my 2017 1200gsa so I can have an on and off road setup. The wheels didn't come with TPS and I'm wonder if I can buy the cheep ones from ebay? The ebay ones are $50 for a set verses $350 from BMW. Also are the sensors plug and play or do they need some programming before they will talk to the motorcycle?

thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have gotten a second set of wheels for my 2017 1200gsa so I can have an on and off road setup. The wheels didn't come with TPS and I'm wonder if I can buy the cheep ones from ebay? The ebay ones are $50 for a set verses $350 from BMW. Also are the sensors plug and play or do they need some programming before they will talk to the motorcycle?

thanks
Are you planning on having the read out in a Nav V or your display work? I would guess, and that's what it is, a guess, that the sensor would have to be compatible with the RDC module or would have a control module that plugs into the Can Bus to accomplish that.

I assumed that your first wheels have a sensor that works with the RDC, right? I know you can have two sets of BMW sensors work with RDC but need a GS911 or a dealer to make the second set work. Don't know how brand x sensors would fit into that scenario.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Auto sync

Are you planning on having the read out in a Nav V or your display work? I would guess, and that's what it is, a guess, that the sensor would have to be compatible with the RDC module or would have a control module that plugs into the Can Bus to accomplish that.

I assumed that your first wheels have a sensor that works with the RDC, right? I know you can have two sets of BMW sensors work with RDC but need a GS911 or a dealer to make the second set work. Don't know how brand x sensors would fit into that scenario.
I had a new TPS installed while having a tire installed the bike and the TPS automatically started reading on the NAV V after a few miles!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a new TPS installed while having a tire installed the bike and the TPS automatically started reading on the NAV V after a few miles!
Just a bit confused. The one above, is that your first set of sensors and TPS? Is it a BMW unit? The BMW unit will only work with two sets of BMW sensors. I was under the impression if you, for example, have a second set of wheels you have to actuate the sensors to work with the controler. Like I said before, if you use non-BMW set of sensors I have no clue if they will work or not.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I reckon

Spend your $50 on a decent pressure gauge, 12v pump and puncture repair kit. Much better value. The gauge will tell ou if the pressure's down. Your eyes will tell you if the tyre's flat.
Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes, I would like the second set of wheels to work just like the first set.

I'm new to BMW and I'm still becoming familiar with the tech side of their machines. I'll look up this GS911 tool thanks.

I may buy the ebay sensors and give them a shot, I think its worth the gamble. I'll post a report after its all set up and working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spend your $50 on a decent pressure gauge, 12v pump and puncture repair kit. Much better value. The gauge will tell ou if the pressure's down. Your eyes will tell you if the tyre's flat.
Cheers
Greg
lol I hear you and I have them items. It just one of them things, its there so why not make it work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you're handy and have the time, you can McGuiver a new battery into the OEM tire pressure sensors =>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts