R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for advice on a minimalist toolkit. I’ve seen a few out there that are all the tools and then some.
Does anyone have a compact toolkit they really like that is of good quality but not over the top?

Thanks

·
Survivor
682 Posts
BMW already provides the ultimate minimalist tool kit with their bikes. Mine is attached to the underside of the seat and includes a double headed screw driver and a wrench. If you want more, then decide what jobs you anticipate doing on the road, analize the jobs to determine what tools will be needed... buy and carry those tools. Number one job seems to be to repair a flat; number two is to access the battery and jump start the bike with a set of cables or lithium back-up battery. Beyond that there is not much most people can do except maybe tighten looose fasteners

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought stubby wrenches, ratchet and Milwaukee ratcheting screwdriver. I keep torx sockets, spark plug socket and extension in a 9" long piece of 3/4" .040 stainless steel tubing. The tubing also serves as an extension for the wrenches or ratchet. A set of mini vise grips, motion pro front axle tool, oil filler tool and $1 HF razor knife .

Everything except the sockets into a $4 soft small camera case + another camera case for tire plugging tools and a few other misc items.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am in the pterodactyl camp. What I would add though is a folding (swtichblade) set of metric hex wrenches and torx wrenches.
I have never had to jump my bike, but I have had to retighten the mirror. Also some duct tape, not the whole roll, but get an old credit card and wrap some around it a few turns. Some tie wraps may come in handy also.
I've never needed anything more than that, certainly not a set of box wrenches or a ratchet wrench.
I have all that at home, but have never needed on the road.

To expand on the flat kit, that should include a tool like a leatherman--dewalt makes one too.

·
Survivor
682 Posts
I am in the pterodactyl camp. What I would add though is a folding (swtichblade) set of metric hex wrenches and torx wrenches.
I have never had to jump my bike, but I have had to retighten the mirror. Also some duct tape, not the whole roll, but get an old credit card and wrap some around it a few turns. Some tie wraps may come in handy also.
I've never needed anything more than that, certainly not a set of box wrenches or a ratchet wrench.
I have all that at home, but have never needed on the road.

To expand on the flat kit, that should include a tool like a leatherman--dewalt makes one too.
Oh, I have evidently misled you Doc. I carry a ton of tools. I operate under the theory that if I have a mechanical problem, then someone may come along who knows how to use them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts