R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a fan off the way the top boxes look, plus I'm getting old and the top box complicates getting on and off the bike. But I surely miss having a storage on the bike and am now considering a small top box for the helmut and rain gear. Can anyone tell me whats the smallest size top box that will hold a helmut and rain gear? Any suggestions for a moderately priced box for the 1250.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not a fan off the way the top boxes look, plus I'm getting old and the top box complicates getting on and off the bike. But I surely miss having a storage on the bike and am now considering a small top box for the helmut and rain gear. Can anyone tell me whats the smallest size top box that will hold a helmut and rain gear? Any suggestions for a moderately priced box for the 1250.
As already mentioned, the OEM box will just take a helmet, my Arai XD-4 barely fits and that's across the diagonal. Other than gloves and a balaclava there's no way I could get any rain gear in it as well. I'm not sure how you're getting on and off the bike but I'm over 60 with a relatively short inseam, 29", and I sometimes drag my right foot across the top of the left hand pannier when getting off but its nowhere near the box. I'd have to be a gymnast to get it that high :eek:

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Happy Trails is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Will certainly hold a helmet +. Not the smallest that will hold a helmet for sure.

I have two top boxes. A Jesse Bags pizza box for most uses and a Happy Trails for when we are on long trips and camping.

I suggest you give up the idea of having a top box that will hold a helmet; there are other ways of securing a helmet. Go with a small top box such as a pizza box or with a tail bag. I think you may be happier with a tail bag. Nelson-Rigg makes some great tail bags.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Consider the Givi Trekker bags. A little more low key on the looks. That's a 52 liter top box and I can get 2 helmets in it. A helmet and some other gear is no issue. Nice thing is they are all interchangeable. I can mount either side case in top box location. I have a 33l on exhaust side and a 46l opposite. Also have quick release support brackets so only needs to be there when I have the side cases mounted which I really like. Won't solve the kicking it problem but a good alternative option. I went looking due to the size of the bmw top boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Two fine alternatives are the BMW small and large soft case IIIs. The small will fit a helmet when expanded. The large will fit a helmet, rain gear and more. Neither are heavy or intrusive looking and nicking them accidentally on the way on or off the bike will not do them or you any harm.

Should you be interested, I have for sale an OEM all black hard plastic expandable (Vario?) top box for the 1250 GS with a small patch of rough finish on one side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts