R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when the top case flew away there was no point filing a claim with Progressive because of the deductable. But they said "call the cops and file a report, maybe it will be turned in." So like a dummy I did that. Now I have an "at fault accident with a claim less than $2000" on my record and my insurance rates are going up $600 a year.

So, if the lousy BMW top case latch design caused an "at fault" accident can I now file a complaint with the feds that will be flagged?

The mind boggles. And no, I guess the cops aren't there to help you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmmmmmm...

I gotta call BS on the story. Been a cop for 23 years. If you filed a lost property report for the case that flew off there's no "accident" involved. It makes no sense that an accident report would be filed. Maybe I'm missing some crucial part of this story??

·
I'd rather be flying
236 Posts
I totally believe this one. Although it sounds most likely to be miscommunication. We have a complacency issue with our cops here. They don't want to trouble themselves with their duties anymore. They want to give their responsibilities to someone else. Unless it is a serious crime. At that point they want the excitement and the credit.

Good luck trying to get them to admit that they made a mistake. It will not happen.

I truly believe that all police officers start out as good people. But when they spend so much of their time around crooks and liars, they tend to become one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I totally believe this one. Although it sounds most likely to be miscommunication. We have a complacency issue with our cops here. They don't want to trouble themselves with their duties anymore. They want to give their responsibilities to someone else. Unless it is a serious crime. At that point they want the excitement and the credit.

Good luck trying to get them to admit that they made a mistake. It will not happen.

I truly believe that all police officers start out as good people. But when they spend so much of their time around crooks and liars, they tend to become one.
Damn. That sounds like a fool and dumb minded person.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Harsh...

Hey Adam. Obviously you've been "wronged" somewhere down the line but if you live in the Sf Bay Area I invite you to come riding with me on a 12 hour shift sometime and learn the truth.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Hey Adam. Obviously you've been "wronged" somewhere down the line but if you live in the Sf Bay Area I invite you to come riding with me on a 12 hour shift sometime and learn the truth.
Say, Todtc, I'm riding from North Carolina to SFO and should be there in about three weeks. I've a GSA with ugly Jesse panniers. Can you cut me some slack?!:D

Mike

·
I'd rather be flying
236 Posts
I'm sorry. I shouldn't have posted my opinions on this site. This site is dedicated to the GS, not the police department.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Absolutely. Done!
Thanks, Todtc!

You know, I was on a return trip to NC from Los Angeles back in March. Managing to stay on mostly two-lane roads, I found there was no way around hitting I-10 from Lordsburg, NM to Van Horn, TX. Well, I'd been running around 85-90 mph on the Eisenhower System (speed limit 80 in TX) so, when I exited onto US 90, the speed limit was 70 mph, traffic was very light and I had 100 miles to go. I'm sure you can see the error of my thinking. Oh well . . .

As I neared Marfa, an oncoming sheriffs deputy lit me up and I was on the side of the road before he could turn around, remaining on the GSA with hands on the mirrors. I asked permission to dismount so I'd have better access to my license as he told me he'd clocked me at 88 in a 70. I produced the license and he asked, "What's this One on your saddlebag . . . I want to know about that . . . what's going on with the One."

(The "One" is on the right pannier above the ADV sticker)

I told the deputy that, when I had brown hair many years ago, I'd been an infantryman with the First Infantry Division in Vietnam. He replied, "Welcome home, sir. Here your license and have a nice day." He started back to his truck.

Taken aback just a little, I said, "Wait a minute." He asked, "You pullin' me over?" I just laughed, thanked him for the break and inquired why. He smiled and said, "I was Big Red One in Fallujah." We popped each other our snappiest salutes and went our seperate ways.

Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry TodTC, it really did happen

You may want to call BS on this but it's happening. The insurance company referenced this event specifically when I called to ask about rates. An at fault accident with a claim less than $2000. That's a quote. So I've pulled the Lexus/Nexus reports and it's not mentioned. Have to get my driving history from the DMV next. If I can "prove" that this wasn't an "at fault accident" then the insurance company will retroactively lower my rates.

The funny thing was that, when this happened, the insurance company suggested I file a report for lost property with the police and then the officer showed up at my office and took the report. I told the insurance company I didn't want to file a claim. But here we are. That's all I know right now. But it smells rotten. I feel like I've been set up.

Maybe I should move to SF? NY is really starting to suck.

The other issue I have that relates to BMW bikes is that this was a known problem that BMW actually fixed with a change to the latch on the top case - metal instead of plastic - and a locating pin to keep the case from moving backwards unless it was lifted. But what I found out from the dealer when I ordered a new top case is that BMW did NOT change the part number even though the new style latch will not fit on the original plate on the back of the bike. As an engineer I can say that this is either really sloppy engineering - you never create an incompatible part without rolling the part number - or an attempt to avoid an admission of a design failure. Not that BMW has ever failed to rectify a design problem with other bikes, like surging engines or failing key RFID sensor antennas. No fix was made available to me before the incident. I'm the looser.

So, thanks very much to all those who have participated in fleecing me for more insurance premium money. Especially after I shelled out $1500 of my own cash to replace the top case and it's contents.

Yeah, I've been had.

·
I'd rather be flying
236 Posts
Thanks, Todtc!

I told the deputy that, when I had brown hair many years ago, I'd been an infantryman with the First Infantry Division in Vietnam.

Taken aback just a little, I said, "Wait a minute." He asked, "You pullin' me over?" I just laughed, thanked him for the break and inquired why. He smiled and said, "I was Big Red One in Fallujah." We popped each other our snappiest salutes and went our seperate ways.

Mike
I spent my first couple of years with the First I.D. and deployed to Kosovo. I keep the Big Red One on my truck out of sentiment. My other patches and deployments don't keep the same meaning to me.

No Mission Too Difficult, No Sacrifice Too Great.

Thanks for your service.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I spent my first couple of years with the First I.D. and deployed to Kosovo. I keep the Big Red One on my truck out of sentiment. My other patches and deployments don't keep the same meaning to me.

No Mission Too Difficult, No Sacrifice Too Great.

Thanks for your service.
Thank you for your service, as well, Adam! Next week, I begin a cross country trip and, unfortunately, have to use the Eisenhower System in order to make it to my business commitments. My route takes me right by Fort Riley and I always render a salute as I ride by. Old soldiers . . . . . .

About a year ago, I went on a mission, of sort, to thank my old commanding officer for helping me out in a garden spot we called "The Iron Triangle." You may enjoy the ride report: Duty - ADVrider

By the way, you live in one of my favorite spots in this country. In about three weeks, I'll be on my return ride and will pass through Panguitch on my way to Boulder. I'm really looking forward to being on Utah 12 again!

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts