R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a torque wrench for Christmas but noted it only starts at 16.9 NM. Return for a smaller wrench? I noted that a lot of the screws take a smaller torque value than that......

Todd

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
One torque wrench isn't enough. I currently have 3. The one most used goes from about 27 Nm to 135 Nm. Sound's like you are in the correct range for your first torque wrench.

I do not use my smaller torque wrench when doing things adjusting the valves. The valve cover screws have a shoulder and are held in place with rubber bushings. When they stop turning, stop. Adding any extra torque will only damage the threads. The valve adjuster doesn't need much torque, either. I'd probably not be able to use a torque wrench on the adjuster while keeping the appropriate clearance, anyway. A small and thin 10 mm box wrench is the perfect tool for that job.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks..........

for the replies. I'll keep the one I have for now. Never used one before and wondered if I started below the graduations on the bar that would be lower than the 16.9

·
Registered
77 Posts
That would not be a good idea. Torque wrenches are the least accurate at the extremes of their ranges.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kinda defeats the purpose of a torque wrench, dunnit? :confused:
Not really, they are designed to work in the ranges they are built for. Another note for you rookie torque wrench users; if your click type wrench sets it's torque by screwing the end of the wrench in and lining up graduations on the barrel; always remember to back the torque wrench all the way down past it's minimum setting. You are compressing a coil spring and if you leave it compressed the spring will take a set over time and loose it's accuracy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not really, they are designed to work in the ranges they are built for. Another note for you rookie torque wrench users; if your click type wrench sets it's torque by screwing the end of the wrench in and lining up graduations on the barrel; always remember to back the torque wrench all the way down past it's minimum setting. You are compressing a coil spring and if you leave it compressed the spring will take a set over time and loose it's accuracy.
So if torque wrenches are used for the ranges they are built for, and the OP wants to use his torque wrench outside that range, he says "lower than the 16.9"... Doesn't this mean the OP is using the torque wrench as a... wrench (without the torque part) and defeating the purpose?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems so (for using it for lesser torque settings). That's why I asked. I am the proverbial "rookie torque wrench user". And since the directions are printed so small that I'll have to buy a magnifying glass to read them, I figured I'd ask here. Seeing the graduations on the barrel and the smaller numbers on the ring dial at the handle, I wondered if you started at zero, then turned it to the smaller number prior to getting to 16.9, then the smaller numbers may work. But then again, it would've been labled for smaller ratings if that were true......thanks for the info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And of interest, I just received the JVB DVD's and watched a good portion of the maintenance DVD further confirming I need to get the smaller torque wrench at some point soon seeing I'll need to do the 36000mile maintenance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep. I went through the same learning curve. Several years ago, I received my big Craftsman TR as a gift and shortly after, learned I needed the smaller Craftsman TR as well.

I read, somewhere, that the TR should be at the ambient temperature of the location where it's being used, eg. from a warm house to a cold garage - wait a few minutes before using. I don't know how much this affects accuracy, though.

JVB vids are really helpful. Good luck and best wishes with that learning curve.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So if torque wrenches are used for the ranges they are built for, and the OP wants to use his torque wrench outside that range, he says "lower than the 16.9"... Doesn't this mean the OP is using the torque wrench as a... wrench (without the torque part) and defeating the purpose?
No he is still using it as a torque wrench, but he may be up to 20 to 30% off his torque that he is putting on the fastner, and he may not be able to feel it click when he is way down on the lower end of the range. In my tool box I have 4 different torque wrenches; they range from 20 in/lb to 400 ft/lb.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Small torque values

I loosened the torx bolts and adjusted my handlebars without a torque wrench and definitely felt a stiffness in the bars that wasn't there before. I am experienced enough to know I didn't over tighten the bolts by much. Is this an argument for a torque wrench that can do exactly 10nm?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Punchbuggy, I'm pretty sure that's what the jist was earlier in the post. I'm looking at getting the smaller torque wrench in the near future.

RickC....It's bitter here in State College right now but supposed to be in the 40's end of the week. The garage is not heated but can be heated to a balmy 55 if I need to work out there with a space heater.......Think I'll wait till spring to do the 36,000mile service!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Punchbuggy, I'm pretty sure that's what the jist was earlier in the post. I'm looking at getting the smaller torque wrench in the near future.

RickC....It's bitter here in State College right now but supposed to be in the 40's end of the week. The garage is not heated but can be heated to a balmy 55 if I need to work out there with a space heater.......Think I'll wait till spring to do the 36,000mile service!
I use a propane heater in my hangar when it is nasty cold (beer freezes in the fridge) I normally only run it for about 15 minutes or so before I am turning it down. As it is infrared it heats up things rather than the air.

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sorry mates, i know this thread very old but I can't find the latest thread about the topic torque wrench. Coz I'm planning to rebuild my engine and looking to buy a new torque wrench. Anyone can suggest me on this list https://sydneytools.com.au/category/hand-tools/torque-wrenches, the best torque wrench for this job when it comes to
price and durability. Please pardon me posting in a very old thread. I appreciate for all the comments. Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts