R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow GSers,

I just bought a 2006 GS with Touratech Zega panniers. I decided to buy the small topcase to complete the set and give my wife a backrest. There is a problem, and I couldn't find any references to it on the web. The rear attachments for the rack attach on the rear end of the passenger seat. The problem is, there isn't room:
Automotive lighting White Hood Tire Automotive design

Here are the instructions:

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tire

You can see that they show a cut-out at the rear of the bike. The 2006 doesnt' have this. I chatted with the Touratech guy, and he told me that I will need to use a dremel tool to cut the bike. This isn't mentioned on their webpage in the item description or the installation instructions. In fact, the product description reads, "everything you need to install...". I'm very dissapointed in the company, and told them so. It also sucks that they don't provide the ability for customers to leave reviews on their products.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Cut? Or would a seat base from another year fit and have the shape shown in the TT instructions? Thanks for any help!!
Has anyone else

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,925 Posts
Mine are like 20-100's and "cut out" from the factory. I agree Dremel that bish!

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
752 Posts
If you want to have more space for the Dremel/grinder, just unbolt the brake light from under the fender. That'll give you easy acces and no risk of damaging anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I was thinking of eyeballing the needed cut on the bike, then removing the part to my work table. I'll post the results for posterity...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.