R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 GS currently fitted with alloy wheels. I'm about to fit it with Spoked wheels and E07 tyres for more off road durability. However I don't really want to go the trouble and additional expense of getting another set of sensors etc. So my question is will I be left with a permanent warning sign on the cluster if I just mount the wheels with regular valves?

If that is going to be the case then I'll reconsider or even look at swapping the current sensors across.

·
Registered
368 Posts
While TPMS isn't especially accurate compared to a gauge, it offers relative pressure data that can be valuable. If a rear is at 42psi and the TPMS always ranges 37 to 40, approximate proper pressure is indicated. If TPMS starts to show 32 it's time to pull up and check what's going on. I wouldn't want to be without it.

·
Not that senior.
699 Posts
Easy swap

It's not that big a job to swap those sensors to the new wheels.
I had one stop working on the rear of my 2010 GS last year.
It started giving some weird readings and then stopped working altogether.
I eventually purchased a new one and was ready to fit it when i fitted two new tyres.
Strangely enough, it started working again, and has not been a problem in the last 6 months.

My P.S.I readings are always 3-4 Pound higher than my digital gauge, no big issue for me as its always constant.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rtfm

As stated plainly in your bike’s manual, the TPM provides data based on an algorithm that assumes that your tires are cold and that it is exactly 68F out. This allows for consistent, precise pressures in all climates. Where BMW specifies that your tire pressure should be 36 PSI front and 42 PSI rear, it also expects that those pressures are with an ambient temp of 68F. If you fill your tires to the BMW specified pressure numbers as indicated by a gauge on a cold day, you will have overinflated your tires. A The converse would be true were you to do the same when the ambient temp is higher than 68F. Anyone who has raced professionally on tracks, auto or motorcycle, appreciates the benefits of precise consistent pressure in their tires regardless of what the outside air temp is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts