R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a pro photographer, always hauling a lot of gear. I'd prefer to take my 1200GSA when I travel to photoshoots, but never have enough room. I'm curious if anyone has a hitch and trailer set up on their moto and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Dejan

· Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I see that no one has responded to this inquiry so I'll offer an opinion. First and foremost, I don't own a trailer for my GSA. In my riding experience, I've seen two motorcycles with trailers go down. Both jackknifed.

I did transport a Harley Davidson that was trailer equipped for a friend. He had a health issue while touring and had to leaved the rig and fly home. I rode his FLHT-something for three days on 80% interstate/20% US & state routes. I do not consider myself and expert by any means.

I found that the trailer pushes the motorcycle a bit when stopping. Obviously, the more you place inside the trailer, the more push is generated. I found it to be a bit disconcerting and began riding more defensively in order to avoid panic-stop situations. Also, the trailer was a bit "bouncy" and I could feel that on more bumpy sections. Being a very amateur photographer, I'd hate to put my prized photo equipment in there.

If you decide to get the trailer, I'd encourage you to get a bit of experience under your belt before loading it up for a photo shoot. Get the feel of it and be careful.

Mike

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see that no one has responded to this inquiry so I'll offer an opinion. First and foremost, I don't own a trailer for my GSA. In my riding experience, I've seen two motorcycles with trailers go down. Both jackknifed.

I did transport a Harley Davidson that was trailer equipped for a friend. He had a health issue while touring and had to leaved the rig and fly home. I rode his FLHT-something for three days on 80% interstate/20% US & state routes. I do not consider myself and expert by any means.

I found that the trailer pushes the motorcycle a bit when stopping. Obviously, the more you place inside the trailer, the more push is generated. I found it to be a bit disconcerting and began riding more defensively in order to avoid panic-stop situations. Also, the trailer was a bit "bouncy" and I could feel that on more bumpy sections. Being a very amateur photographer, I'd hate to put my prized photo equipment in there.

If you decide to get the trailer, I'd encourage you to get a bit of experience under your belt before loading it up for a photo shoot. Get the feel of it and be careful.

Mike
Thanks for the reply. I've been searching a BMW forums and have found a number of threads pertaining to trailers. No bad experiances from what I've read. The problem I have is it's either trailer the gear or take the truck. The gas savings using teh moto will pay for the trailer on one long distance shoot, and I have to travel a bit. This is where I'm coming from.

· Registered
31 Posts
Have you considered a sidecar ? Sorry something about trailers behind motorcycles rubs me the wrong way . I know it is my issue but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike :(

I am a nobody here ,so don't put too much weight to this response :)

Reactions: slowriding

· Registered
46 Posts
Hi Dejan

I have been looking into this for a while and am currently building a single wheel pull behind for my 1200GSA.

If you youtube eaglemate trailer it will give you some idea of how a single wheel high mount works. The beauty of it is the actual weight over the rear of the bike is waaaaaaaay less than putting it in panniers and top boxes. When my wife and I go touring two up with our gear the handling is bloody awful.

The mount I am fabricating mounts under the rear top box frame area so the weight from the hitch is exactly the same spot as where the top box mounts. I will post some pics if you are interested.

You will get a lot of well meaning negative responses. Dont let them get you down. A lightweight well built bike trailer is a great accessory that opens up new adventures - and thats what its all about - the adventure.

cheers

· Registered
81 Posts
What year GSA?
I pulled a UniGo trailer with my '09 GSA and still have the hitch and
trailer. I've tried to figure out how to male a hitch for my '15 but I'm
not having any luck.
I can send picture if you like.
Mike

· Registered
9 Posts
What year GSA?
I pulled a UniGo trailer with my '09 GSA and still have the hitch and
trailer. I've tried to figure out how to male a hitch for my '15 but I'm
not having any luck.
I can send picture if you like.
Mike
Hi Mike,

What kind of hitch did/do you have for your 09 GSA? Do you still have it and do you want to sell it? I have an '05 R1200GS I'd like to pull my Bushtec Turbo +2 trailer with and I'm looking for a hitch without paying full retail on a new one.

Thanks,

Steve

· Old Man on a Bike
25 Posts
I pulled a trailer with my K1600GTL... turned a hot rod into a kenworth. Did get pushed over once when stopping in a turned downhill situation; wasn't a damn thing I could do about it!

GTL is gone, but I still have the trailer; I'll make you one hell of a deal on it!

· Registered
23 Posts
I recently purchased a used Bushtec trailer and hooked it up to my Goldwing last year for a trip along the Parkway. It was fantastic, barley noticed it from the first moment it was connected. Yes 350 lbs of added gear & trailer (combined weight) will affect take off and stopping, and the width of your trail will also affect your line of approach and departure from curbs, pot holes and other road features. The trade off is this, loaded with the extra 70 lbs of gear I wanted to take along including two small pets, the wife and camping gear thrown in for our pleasure would have been too heavy to manage without the trailer. I've now ordered and received a hitch kit for my GSA. The trailer when loaded and balanced correctly is almost undetectable at speed until you stop or take off, The trailer corners like its on rails behind the bike. The suspension is Air and torsion anti-sway, so no bounce. I got passed a few years back by a BMW GS and Bushtec trailer in Alaska., I watched it as it ran past me on a set of curves like he was solo one up and just kept rolling away at speed leaving me in his wake admiring his trailer...

· Registered
23 Posts
Update to trailer hitch.. So I finally hooked up the hitch, installed and programed the EZcan, made the power harness, hooked up the trailer and road tested yesterday at a cool 22 degrees. the results are in, I love it! Although the "Old-wing" will on most days haul my trailer around, I think for our "Outings" and "Gatherings" might see the GSA doing her fair share of the hauling. Tracks beautifully, roles easy and no bounce! I'm excited to get her out! Camping comfortably and the kids(small dog and our adventure cat) can come along too! on a side note I'm gonna have to install a water and rock guard on the hitch, getting my trailer sprayed a little too much...
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Snow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts