R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a little nerve wrecking...I was 100% in the middle of nowhere when my 2012 GS1200 decided its dying on me. The bike started but when I switched it into gear I died immediately.
I have been on horribly corrugated dirt roads for the last 250km's. The first thing that came to mind is that there must be something wrong with the switch on the side stand. I fiddled around with it, loosened it, cleaned it, no luck. What I didn't notice was that the switch was actually already loose before I took it off. The little locking pin keeping the switch in place came loose and fell off.
Luckily there was phone reception and my dad send me pic of switch on his other bike and only then I noticed what was wrong.
Used a cable tie to keep the thing in place and two hours later I rode off.
Lessons learned... Keep calm and always take cable ties with you where ever you go!

·
Hopeful new 1250 GSA'er
20 Posts
Hi Jaco,

very interesting story, as my wife and I are about two years out on shipping bikes over from Canada,

don't happen to have a photo or two you could post?

:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've also seen folks just cut the wire and tie the two leads together. Bike thinks the side stands up!

·
Registered
791 Posts
^^^^
right, there are youtubes showing how it's done.

You cut the wire going to it, there's a red and a white and a brown (ground). Forget the brown one and connect the red and the white and that tells the switch the sidestand is up.

Pictures!! Don't get to see Namibia too often and good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
From the videos on U-tube, there are 3 wires. You have to tie the positive wires together and leave the ground (brown or tan) out. Need a wire-nut and tape or zip-tie. The video is worth watching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts