R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to the Great Lakes. Never been there, always wanted to go. I'll be going from Chattanooga, TN to Duluth, MN (got to stop at Aerostitch, don't you know), Thunder Bay, and from there I would like to see the Hudson Bay. I've been told the best way to see the Bay is to hire a plane or go on a resupply trip with one of the companies that do that sort of thing. I'm looking for tips, suggestions, and guidance at this point. I plan to leave on 9/21 and need to be in NYC on October 5 for my Granddaughter's first birthday. I might go to the BMW rally in the Catskills since this is kinda on the way. Any help would be appreciated. You can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] if you like. Thanks.

·
Still Smiling Ear to Ear
22 Posts
North to Hudson Bay

Hello there,

Once you get to Thunder Bay there are no roads that will take you to directly North to Hudson Bay but you could make it as far up as Pickle Lake or Armstrong, there are only winter roads beyond that. However, if you were to head west towards Winnipeg at that point then north to Thompson Manitoba you could take the train from there to Churchill which is up on the Hudson Bay. Great time of year up in Churchill to see Beluga whales, Narwhals and maybe some Polar Bears.
Sounds like a great trip, let me know if you would like some more details, I know some great spots to see from Duluth to TBay then Winnipeg.
Take care,
ElG

·
Still Smiling Ear to Ear
22 Posts
Another route

Once you reach Thunder Bay you could take Hwy17 East along the North Shore of Lake Superior which is spectacular riding to Sault Ste. Marie, and east to Hwy144, north to Timmins and then Cochrane which is also a gateway to Hudson Bay at Moosonee. I think you would have to train again for the final leg out of Cochrane.
This route would be more inline with your timeframe and the North Shore is a must see. There is alot of miles to cover to get from Winnipeg to Thompson and then to Churchill.
Have fun.
:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts