R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Garmin Zumo XT and tried to use Basecamp on my iMac to create a route. After so many hours of frustration trying to use this app I decided to uninstall it.
I would like to know if someone has a recommendation for a friendly piece of software that lets you create routes and export them to a GPS Navigator.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i gave up on basecamp long ago. I just use google maps and save the file to my computer

·
Registered
58 Posts
Condolences for the hours lost never to be seen again. A few years ago I committed to learning BC and spent days doing nothing but scouring YouTube. It only made me angry and feeling stupid. I estimate I’ve spent over a full work week trying to ‘get it’. No joy.
REVER is where it’s at. I plan routes on my desktop. Start with the free version. Go to the pro version later once you see if you like REVER. Enjoy easy file sharing, Butler maps, super easy route planning. Upload the .gpx file to your awesome XT.
1. tons of 3 minute videos on YouTube covering every question you could have on how to do it.
2. plug your Garmen into laptop. download REVER route onto desktop (downloads). Open Finder. See your XT in left column. Drag your .gpx file into the Garmen. Done.
3. put XT on the bike. >apps > tracks > check box ‘show on map’.
4. make sure you change settings on your XT to cancel the RE-routing feature. Then just follow the blue line (my color of choice). If you lose the line, zoom out until you see it, then ride Over to intersect it and keep going.

this has fundamentally changed my riding. To quickly plan a new route, load it and go, has exponentially expanded my local knowledge and my confidence in exploring new territory.
A few months ago I just click click clicked on REVER and put together a day ride that covered almost 30 of Butler maps G1, G2 and G3 roads in So Cal. The ride was delightfully exhausting!

REVER and Garmen are a match made in heaven. Works a treat on my Mac and iPhone and Garmen NavV.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also gave up on & booted basecamp a goodbye. With a few of explatives. We've decided to just use Google maps. Create routes and email/message to each other. So much easier. Still use Garmin for different views of where I am and help finding places. If we know we're going to be out of range for our phones & Google maps, we download to offline the area we'll be riding in.

Never saw Rever will have to check it out but can't imagine moving forward now with anything but Google.

Edit: and obviously it's free

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Condolences for the hours lost never to be seen again.
REVER is where it’s at. I plan routes on my desktop. Start with the free version. Go to the pro version later once you see if you like REVER. Enjoy easy file sharing, Butler maps, super easy route planning. Upload the .gpx file to your awesome XT.
Thank you Zubb for your reply and your condolences :).
I checked REVER and I played with it for a while. I’m very pleased with the outcome.
I cannot understand why Garmin cannot develop a decent and modern routing map app. They could charge for it if it’s any good.
Basecamp reminded me of the eighty’s PC applications running on DOS OS.
I read in a British forum that Garmin doesn’t allow users to download the Zumo Maps anymore to their computer HD so map data can be quickly accessed by Basecamp. Now Basecamp needs to retrieve the Maps data needed via the USB interface. Since Garmin selected to use the slow USB-A micro, instead of the fast transfer rate USB-C, the map refreshing and redrawing is painfully slow. To make things even worse the app froze, requiring a hard shut down of my iMac to get out of Basecamp

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also gave up on & booted basecamp a goodbye. With a few of explatives. We've decided to just use Google maps. Create routes and email/message to each other.
Thank you Pops58 for your reply. I toyed with Google Maps and Google Earth Pro. While earth Pro will let you export files to a GPS, the application is not friendly for creating routes (Hwy routes). Of course, you can always build a route by creating a multitude of waypoints, but if the route is many miles long it can be a real chore.
With Google Maps it is possible to export files to a limited number of automobile navigation systems if they have Google CarPlay built-in, however this is not an option for the Garmin GPS Navigators.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you Pops58 for your reply. I toyed with Google Maps and Google Earth Pro. While earth Pro will let you export files to a GPS, the application is not friendly for creating routes (Hwy routes). Of course, you can always build a route by creating a multitude of waypoints, but if the route is many miles long it can be a real chore.
With Google Maps it is possible to export files to a limited number of automobile navigation systems if they have Google CarPlay built-in, however this is not an option for the Garmin GPS Navigators.
Try this, it’s the best tutorial out there…

Learn Basecamp from New England Riders

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try this, it’s the best tutorial out there…

Learn Basecamp from New England Riders
Thank you Peter_MA for the link. I checked it and was impressed how clearly the procedures were explained. However, I have signed up for REVER, an app that lets you create routes and export them into your Navigator. It seems to be very intuitive and only cost $40/year.

·
Super Awesom Person
705 Posts
I also use Google maps. I put in the start and end points with a few way points in between. I may move some areas of the route to a curvy road I want, copy and paste the thing into Mapstogpx.com and load the gpx file into the Nav unit or the BMW app on my phone. Works every time.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
I spent most of my career designing user interfaces for complicated systems so when I sat down to learn Basecamp I used a lot of foul language on it. I watched some of the videos on it and finally came to conclusion that my frustration was because I was fighting it to behave how I thought it should work - not how it actually works. Once I surrendered to the quirky mode-oriented UI basecamp became a very powerful and useful tool for my style of GPS use. I do a lot of ADV style rides and use more tracks than routes in my riding. So now, even using the app MapOut on my iPhone I still use basecamp to organize my adventures.

With all the other great resources out there like Rever I'm not sure we'll see Garmin ever do a whole new and improved Basecamp. It seems their future strategy is going more in the cloud/web based support than a dedicated app.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent most of my career designing user interfaces for complicated systems so when I sat down to learn Basecamp I used a lot of foul language on it.

With all the other great resources out there like Rever I'm not sure we'll see Garmin ever do a whole new and improved Basecamp. It seems their future strategy is going more in the cloud/web based support than a dedicated app.
GreyBeard. If a Software programmer like you found it difficult and frustrating to use BaseCamp, just imagine what a simple Joe (me included) experienced. Like you I was screaming profanities at my computer until my wife told me to chill out and go take a walk. Living a few minutes from the beach helped me to unload my stress and to return my mind to serenity. At my return I immediately deleted this obnoxious app and opened the R1200GS.info forum for advice of a better software. A few members recommended that I switch to REVER which I found was light-years better than the Garmin app.
However, I encountered another issue, after creating a road in REVER from my house to Mt Palomar Observatory here in SoCal, I found that I was unable to export the route GPX file into my Zumo by using my iMac. From the Garmin Support Center, I found the reason why I couldn’t do it. Please see the explanation below:

The following devices are able to connect to Garmin Express on a Mac computer; however, they will not appear as a drive on the desktop and the device's internal files cannot be accessed without special software.
A Windows computer must be used to view the internal contents of these devices. This includes any log files needed for troubleshooting.
  • Zumo XT
Since the Zumo internal files cannot be accessed from a Mac, there is no way to transfer directly the GPX file from REVER into the GPX folder in the ZUMO. Luckily my wife uses a Window PC, and I was finally able to transfer the file into a GPX folder I had created on the microSD card.
While it not possible to transfer a GPX file into the Zumo internal files with a Mac, I could have pulled the microSD card from the Zumo and installed it in the card reader and transferred the file effortlessly.
Furthermore, I also discovered from the Garmin Support Center the reason why Basecamp was not recognizing my device (Zumo). On the Mac when you connect to the Zumo USB cable to a USB port on the computer, the Zumo will automatically start and open Garmin Express. Just read below the Garmin warning about the limitation of doing so:

Additionally, when connected to a Mac, these devices will only be recognized or detected by one application at a time.
For example, if Garmin Express is open and has detected the device, opening Garmin BaseCamp at the same time will result in BaseCamp being unable to find the device until both applications are completely closed and the desired application is re-opened.
Applications that will detect and "use" these devices include, but are not limited to; Garmin Express, Garmin BaseCamp, and the Android File Transfer program mentioned below.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just for fun try yes. Close any and every program on your Mac that is related to base camp.Plug your Zummo into the Mac. Download the GPX file from REVER to your Mac. Open your finder and you should see your Zummo device in the left-hand column. If you look in your recent downloads file you should see your.GPX file that was just downloaded. Drag that GPX file onto the Garman and drop it. Do not put it in a folder do not open the Garman do not go through Basecamp or any of its associated software.
Unplug the Zummo and turn it on. Touch the apps button and Open tracks. Scroll till you find your GPX tracks that you just download it and select. Open the wrench in the top left corner of the screen. Click the box it says show on map. Scroll down and click create route and it should start calculating a route. Back out to your home screen and open trip planner. See if that works regardless of what Basecamp told you. I’ve been putting tracks on my Garman NAV five for a year and a half now without ever opening basecamp or any of it associate software.
Sidenote; make sure you have gone into your zoom settings and turned off auto re-calculation of route. That auto re-Calc feature has driven many a man to hard drink.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Please forgive the auto correct typing above. I’m in the hot tub and not about to climb out and find a keyboard. Ha ha Ha.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Close any and every program on your Mac that is related to base camp.Plug your Zummo into the Mac. Download the GPX file from REVER to your Mac. Open your finder and you should see your Zummo device in the left-hand column.
Thanks for your reply Zubb. I deleted the Garmin Express and BaseCamp apps, restarted my iMac, and connected the Zumo to one of the USB ports. Checking the finder under locations, I only see 2 volumes: Macintosh Internal SSD, and External (a Samsung SSD). If I reinstall Garmin Express it will be added as a third volume just below External.
On my iMac the Zumo icon never shows up (unlike my Windows PC). This is consistent with Garmin's statement: The following devices (Zumo XT) are able to connect to Garmin Express on a Mac computer; however, they will not appear as a drive on the desktop and the device's internal files cannot be accessed without special software. A Windows computer must be used to view the internal contents of these devices.

I don’t understand how you can get the Zumo icon in your Finder.

Since I have your attention and you are familiar with REVER, when I create a route with REVER on my iPhone and choose a Current Location and Where to? The app will construct a route that follows highways. However, if I try to do the same on my iMac, REVER will draw a straight line between the two points. To follow the roads, I have to manually drag waypoints from the straight line to the road(s) I want to follow, which can be a very tedious task. I cannot find a setting that will let me change from straight line to road following. I am a REVER Pro Member, therefore I should have full access to the app.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for your reply Zubb. I deleted the Garmin Express and BaseCamp apps, restarted my iMac, and connected the Zumo to one of the USB ports. Checking the finder under locations, I only see 2 volumes: Macintosh Internal SSD, and External (a Samsung SSD). If I reinstall Garmin Express it will be added as a third volume just below External.
On my iMac the Zumo icon never shows up (unlike my Windows PC). This is consistent with Garmin's statement: The following devices (Zumo XT) are able to connect to Garmin Express on a Mac computer; however, they will not appear as a drive on the desktop and the device's internal files cannot be accessed without special software. A Windows computer must be used to view the internal contents of these devices.

I don’t understand how you can get the Zumo icon in your Finder.

Since I have your attention and you are familiar with REVER, when I create a route with REVER on my iPhone and choose a Current Location and Where to? The app will construct a route that follows highways. However, if I try to do the same on my iMac, REVER will draw a straight line between the two points. To follow the roads, I have to manually drag waypoints from the straight line to the road(s) I want to follow, which can be a very tedious task. I cannot find a setting that will let me change from straight line to road following. I am a REVER Pro Member, therefore I should have full access to the app.

You have selected the line tool. Unselect it and the program will route along roads.
I use the line tool when there are no roads (or) remote Unmaintained roads. I click along approximately where the trail is, drawing straight lines between points. Like below.

It’s easy to forget you have the pencil selected and zoom over to your next waypoint which can create quite the maze on your screen. Just use the back arrow that’s near the pencil and try again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2015 GSA
30 Posts
This video explains a simple way to use Google maps and base camp to get your custom route to your GPS. I’m computer illiterate & I was able to do it, and it’s free.

In base camp you need to use the maps in your GPS this video show’s how

1 - 20 of 50 Posts