R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are motorcycle seats so bloody uncomfortable. I can spend hours sat in my lounge chair watching TV or travel several hundred miles in one hit behind the wheel of my small hatchback car with no discomfort to my bum. Get on a motorcycle (any motorcycle) and within a matter of a few hours I am extremely uncomfortable. Riding for several days travelling about 1,500 miles and I’m in agony.

I appear to have a double pain issue. One is the pain from the tuberosity in my pelvis which is also referred to as the sit bones or seat bones because it absorbs one’s weight when you sit. The other is an issue which is prevalent in hot weather namely sweat which causes a very tender rash ‘down there’.

Why do I have this bum pain problem? It’s obvious that motorcycle manufacturers don’t take seat comfort seriously. Why should they? Your average motorcyclist does so few miles annually that they are never on their bikes long enough to find any discomfort.

Look at the design of all motorcycle seats. A hard piece of plastic with sponge like foam attached covered in vinyl and barely wide enough to support the average arse. The foam is either so soft it just as well not be there or too hard it appears to be made of concrete. The vinyl covering is the perfect recipe for causing sweat. I’ve tried various after market solutions from AirHawk to Coolcovers to no avail, but why should I have buy something to make my very expensive GS comfortable? I even ticked the comfort seat option when I purchased the bike. I assume that I had the choice of the standard ‘uncomfortable’ seat or pay extra for a ‘comfortable’ seat but both are actually bloody uncomfortable.

I don’t know what the answer is. Sadly I think I will have give up week end away trips in which case a smaller, equally uncomfortable machine might be just as good for shorter journeys.

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
I'd thing posture and support are the biggest things.

· Administrator
2,092 Posts
Why are BMW motorcycle seats so bloody uncomfortable.
I fixed it for you. ;)

From reading and reviews I've read, other manufacturers have better stock seats. It is a design challenge as everyones rear is different but easy enough to find a shape and foam density to make it work for more riders.

Based in your post you would likely enjoy a Russell Day Long seat.

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
I'm that 1 in a 1000 that doesn't mind the OEM Hexhead seat. I have had several aftermarket seats including an RDL and they have nothing significant over stock. Honestly the RDL was the only seat that within seconds I knew was a no go.

· Registered
2018 R1200GS, 2016 FLHTP
16 Posts
Posture for sure and a +1 on the RDL. I have had tried multiple seats & pads with the same results: soreness and pain after multiple hours or miles. The RDL, for my street & gravel road riding, has been amazing. YMMV.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
I have the same problem and I guess it's because of my age (close to 60) as in 40 years of riding I have never had the problem. However, my 2021 GS is my first BMW bike. Does it have to do with BMW seat? I don't know but I doubt it. In last 3-4 years I started to feel some pain sitting in my office desk chair. Now I have one extra pillow on the chair that made me feel better. So, it's probably my age complaining as muscle support in my bottom is shrinking. So, I will have to do some axcercise to try to build them back.
However, I ordered Wunderlich standard hight seat and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

· Registered
2018 R1200GS, 2016 FLHTP
16 Posts
FWIW, I have had similar age issues and are several years older than you, Bos. The ergonomics of the GS are the best for my 6'1 ht & 33" inseam and you should find the Wunderlich seat is a vast improvement over stock.

For me, the RDL does the best job of distributing weight and eliminating pressure points of all of the other seats I have had over the years.

Having said that, I just rode the Pyranees from Barcelona to Porto on a stock 2022 GS and the OEM seat was quite manageable.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
I agree 100% - when you spend $25,000 for a BMW, you expect a seat that's comfortable, and not have to spend another $1,000 for an aftermarket seat. Here, BMW gets a grade of 'F' - hey Motorrad, are you listening??!
But if they built a seat that wo
I agree 100% - when you spend $25,000 for a BMW, you expect a seat that's comfortable, and not have to spend another $1,000 for an aftermarket seat. Here, BMW gets a grade of 'F' - hey Motorrad, are you listening??!
If the answer is as easy as build a seat that works for everyone why not build the perfect seat and get all the business. Or sell the design to BMW?

· Registered
2018 R1200GS, 2016 FLHTP
16 Posts
Hi Perazzi,

I 've often wondered the same, but have, over the years, determined two reasons:
  • every person & their attached butt is different;
  • a GS is a multi-purpose bike & like the first reason above, there are different seats for different purposes.

The notion that it allows BMW and aftermarket seat companies the ability to upsell you is absurd...;-)

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Hi Perazzi,

I 've often wondered the same, but have, over the years, determined two reasons:
  • every person & their attached butt is different;
  • a GS is a multi-purpose bike & like the first reason above, there are different seats for different purposes.

The notion that it allows BMW and aftermarket seat companies the ability to upsell you is absurd...;-)
And therein lies the problem. Riders are like fingerprints, all different.

· Registered
30 Posts
I am in my 70's. Over the years, I have made it a habit to rotate my motorcycles, hoping to own one of every motorcycle that I really wanted. You can do that with bikes, don't try it with wives. I am now on a R1200GS, I find the seat OK, after getting a Sargent. The only bike that I have owned that needed no improvement in the seat was a 2005 Honda Goldwing. It was all day comfy, making all other bikes that I have owned look sort of pathetic. KTM dirt bikes are the worst. I know not whether they use oak or walnut.

· Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
167 Posts
[QUOTE="A_Saint, post: 335258, member: 87539]

a GS is a multi-purpose bike & like the first reason above, there are different seats for different purposes.[/QUOTE]

I found my GSA seat not that bad. I do have a Russell Day Long for it also. For short rides and fire roads, I keep the original seat on it. When I go out on a multi-day, week tour, I put the RDL back on.

· Registered
353 Posts
LIke in many other aspects regarding their bikes, BMW are a bit cynical when it comes to their seats : they choose a soft (inexpensive) OEM seat that feels fine and very comfy for people who try the bike in the showroom of during a short ride before buying it.

It is only afterwards that this too soft seat shows its true, uncomfortable nature.

Measuring 6'4'' and weighing close to 200 pounds the WUNDERLICH aftermarket seat which feels harder (but not too hard) and has a heat reducing cover feels best for me... 500 mile trips and more per day are no (longer an) issue on my R1200GS LC.

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I’m pleased/surprised/amazed to discover that I’m not the only one to find the GS original seat bloody uncomfortable.

Most aftermarket seats appear to be manufactured in the US with no UK distributors. By the time VAT, carrage and import duty is added these seats are crazy money.

I think I might bite the bullet and order a £369 Wunderlich seat. The reviews are generally favourable.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I’m pleased/surprised/amazed to discover that I’m not the only one to find the GS original seat bloody uncomfortable.

Most aftermarket seats appear to be manufactured in the US with no UK distributors. By the time VAT, carrage and import duty is added these seats are crazy money.

I think I might bite the bullet and order a £369 Wunderlich seat. The reviews are generally favourable.
For the very same reason I ordered Wunderlich seat. I hope it'll arrive soon. Today's ride started to be painful after hour and a half without stopping.

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the very same reason I ordered Wunderlich seat. I hope it'll arrive soon. Today's ride started to be painful after hour and a half without stopping.
I‘m still umming and ahhing over the purchase of a Wunderlich seat. Will it be noticeably more comfortable than the standard seat? If not, do I really want to spend £369 only to be disappointed. After all I’ve spent quite a bit over the years on various remedies (including different motorcycles) to no avail.

Bosnjo can you report back after you have done a long trip and confirm that it was, or not, a wise decision. Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts