R1200GS Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In the latest video by YouTuber The MissendenFlyer (239K subscribers) he says he only uses his Wunderlich seat on his R1200GS in the winter because it鈥檚 heated. He finds it less comfortable than the standard seat.

I despair 馃槱.

Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
BUt heated seats are amazing in their own right. Like heated grips I thought they were silly until I bought a bike with one. Its amazing how much more comfortable it is riding when the mercury has fallen when th eboyz are warm and toasty.

A couple of years ago I bought some 12v seat heater pads to retrofit a stock seat with heat. Project died on the vine once the warm weather hit and I've back burnered it since. If I cannot find a winter project soon I rekindle the eye-deer.

Cheers

P-14

Reactions: Twist

Registered
I've always been able to stay warm with an electric jacket mid-layer and gloves and heated grips. I had a heated seat on my K1600GT and it was nice but not essential. A couple of years ago I did a ride in April up through BC and the Yukon Territory in to Alaska. There were a few days when the temps never got above freezing. I wore my Klim Badlands jacket and pants, Warn N Safe jacket mid-layer with the wireless controller, Held electric gloves, and just merino wool base layer pants and socks with no electrification. I was perfectly comfortable to the point that sometimes I'd turn off my jacket just long enough to get a chill and then turn it back on. Goose bumps like sliding in to a hot spa on a cold day.

I have a full Gerbing eXTreme riding suit that is an electric jacket and pants that I've worn on the coldest local rides but with the kit mentioned in the previous paragraph I haven't worn that in years and felt no need to on the Alaska trip. It would have been nice on the coldest days but I enjoyed being able to select layers suitable for the day - warm or cold.

Registered
In the latest video by YouTuber The MissendenFlyer (239K subscribers) he says he only uses his Wunderlich seat on his R1200GS in the winter because it鈥檚 heated. He finds it less comfortable than the standard seat.

I despair 馃槱.
I am a bit surprised to read you are so easily influenced by what others say about those seats...

If that YouTuber prefers ultrasoft, squishy seats, he won't like the Wunderlich seat because it's a bit firmer .

Last year I rode with a Dutch mate to Austria and some days we were up to 8-9 hours in the saddle... I saw him standing up several times per day because he couldn't stand the pain and soreness anymore, whereas I felt NO discomfort at all on my Wunderlich, which I thoroughly blessed at that time.
We're both old geezers weighing close to (me) and well over (him) 100 kgs....

I don't hold any shares of that company but I'll make sure that my Wunderlich seat will be transferred from my GS in France to my GS in Belgium before we start our next trip in May.

Registered
R1250GS 2021
My Wunderlich has just arrived. Tested it already on short rides. It's firmer then stock and I like it as I don't sag into the seat anymore. It'll be some time until next long ride but it looks like it will be much better then stock.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I am a bit surprised to read you are so easily influenced by what others say about those seats...

If that YouTuber prefers ultrasoft, squishy seats, he won't like the Wunderlich seat because it's a bit firmer .
A fair point, but we all come on this forum (as well as other sources) for advice in an attempt to make informed decisions. On the basis that no two arses are the same it鈥檚 very difficult to assess if a particular seat would suit me. I guess there is a 50/50 chance that the Wunderlich seat would be more comfortable than the standard seat. It could be money well spent or a total waste.

Registered
R1250GS 2021
Did my first 1 hour ride today. It is clearly not enough time to say if Wunderlich solved my pain on long rides but I have to say it showed much better support then OEM and I feel that my weight is now spread over much larger area. The seat is much harder then OEM so I don't feel that I'm sinking into it.

One important note:
When I had OEM seat installed, I had to put it on high at the front and on low at the rear to stop it pushing me towards the tank. When swapped to Wunderlich, I left the same settings on, and it caused the problem with the lock. The key would turn left easily to unlock rider's seat, just as it should, but it had huge resistance turning right to unlock pillion seat. I thought something was wrong with new seat and I knew it can't stay that way because I was going to break something trying to unlock the pillion seat. However, I went for a ride and new seat was now pushing me away from the tank. So, I stopped, carefully unlocked both seats (I was really afraid the key would break) and adjusted it leveled on low, both front and rear. Now it was right, I was perfectly leveled and whichever position in the seat I wanted to take, it wasn't pushing me forwards or backwards. When I arrived home, I tried the key in the lock again and it was working perfectly smooth.
So, the conclusion is, Wunderlich seat can't be installed with rear low and front high as it would jam the latch on the lock.

So, even if the pain comes back, I feel much better with this seat. For me it was money well spent.

Registered
A fair point, but we all come on this forum (as well as other sources) for advice in an attempt to make informed decisions. On the basis that no two arses are the same it鈥檚 very difficult to assess if a particular seat would suit me. I guess there is a 50/50 chance that the Wunderlich seat would be more comfortable than the standard seat. It could be money well spent or a total waste.
I only wished to point out (once more) :

• that you don鈥檛 have to despair because of a bad review from one particular guy
  • that indeed no two arses are the same
  • that there is only one solution , namely to buy the blasted seat from Wunderlich and to try it yourself
  • that your risk to throw your hard earned money away is nil, because you can have a full refund if you鈥檙e not satisfied 鈥

Registered
'07 K1200GT
New guy here, and I don't even own a GS (just here doing my homework), but the seat issue is an evergreen one, regardless of bike. I've had.... 15? bikes, and only one had an OEM saddle that was tolerable (and that one was widely panned by most riders). I've done aftermarket saddles for my last 5 bikes, and I've landed on Seth Laam as the one that does the best work for my needs. I'd put him on your radar along with the others mentioned: Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I think I will go ahead and buy the Wunderlich seat bearing mind, like Slijkmoto said, that if I don鈥檛 like it I can send it back. On that basis it would be best to purchase it closer to a planned high mileage trip.

Thanks for everyone鈥檚 help. Hope I haven鈥檛 been too much of a pain in the arse 馃檮.

Registered
R1250GS 2021
My Wunderlich is very good for me. It's only one month old and the longest ride I was able to do so far after installing it was 1,5 hours. It is a bit strange to get used to it. The OEM seat was forcing me to sit at one particular spot. It was adjusted high at the front and low at the back (otherwise it was pushing me against the tank). Wunderlich doesn't force you into one spot only. It needs to be installed on equal hight front and rear (otherwise the key lock will jam, don't ask how I know that) but it doesn't push you against the tank. So you can change the seating position as much as you want and that was a bit strange for me as since the day I purchased the bike, the bike was deciding where I was going to sit. Now with Wunderlich, I have to decide my position and I'm still a little bit at search of the best position.
The seat is firm, so you don't sink into it and after half an hour reach the plastic bottom of the seat. You can choose the same hight (on purchase) as your OEM seat but keep in mind that you'll be sitting a bit higher as you will not sink into it.
At the end, I feel that I'm sitting on bigger area then with the OEM seat.

Registered
I have a question for those who own a Wunderlich seat. While browsing on their website I noticed they offer a fitting kit (the bars that go beneath the seat to fit into the bikes mounts), $79, and have to ask, is this kit necessary? Will the stock bars fit up to mount a Wunderlich seat?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts