R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Recently bought a 2004 R1200GS, my first real bike since my last one was a 125cc Kymco Zing II.

At the moment, the bike's not carrying any protection. I'm gonna order me some Wunderlich engine crashbars, but I'm not sure if i should install the upper crashbars aswell. I'm not planning on doing a lot of offroad any time soon, so do I actually need them? In all the other threads people are only talking about the off road use, so is it safe to assume that I wouldn't have any use for them on asfalt roads?

Anyone who can help me out?

PS: Not only am I new to the GS world, I also have zero experience with forums, so please forgive me for any use-related mistakes

·
Registered
108 Posts
My uppers have scratches

I've dropped my 2017 R12GS a number of times, typically at near zero speed, and the upper bars definitely have scratches, but nothing else was damaged, at all. So, with a newer bike I would definitely get them, but with a 2004 bike you might just want to skip it and take your chances, especially if you are getting in the dirt much.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've dropped my 2017 R12GS a number of times, typically at near zero speed, and the upper bars definitely have scratches, but nothing else was damaged, at all. So, with a newer bike I would definitely get them, but with a 2004 bike you might just want to skip it and take your chances, especially if you are getting in the dirt much.
Wow! That’s a tough lift. I’d be almost tempted to roll it side-over down the hill like the snowmobile guys do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2007 GSA...sadly like the first reply I've tipped my bike on it's right side three times now (must be a gravitational pull to the right) and each the upper bar has saved scratching the plastic. Once was simply a parking lot oops. Did break the turn indicator lens which required some clear silicone to be good as new.

I'd see if any used ones show up on fleabay.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
525 Posts
2 weeks ago was doing a trip to N Carolina/Tennessee/Georgia. Dropped the damned thing on a steep parking lot slope when I put my plant foot down on an unseen oily spot coming to a stop . Between the boxes and the "crash" bars and the hand protectors, once again no structural or cosmetic damage. Ain't the first and won't be the last. They are worth the cost.

PS before I could pick my embarrassed ass off the pavement 3 people ran over and did the quick pick up. Thank you friendly folks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not convinced the OEM upper crashbars have done me any good although they make a nice place to hang auxiliary lights. But. Notice how the brake and clutch levers have that groove near the end? That's apparently a designed-in weak spot - if someone (not saying who) were to drop the bike, and the OEM plastic handguards were to flex and allow pressure on the levers, that's where they would break. In theory. :mad:

I have the MachineArtMoto handguards which have been a worthwhile addition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2016 bmw r1200gs

I dropped my GS R1200 on the left side in a parking lot after releasing the clutch while in first gear (my mistake, thought the bike was in neutral). It has the Toura-Tech cylinder guards installed but no upper crash bars. Amazingly, not one scratch. I noticed the cylinder crash bars prevents most of the bike from touching the ground, not even the handlebar grips or tank area touched the ground. I was surprised nothing else happened. My .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts