R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to try using my iPhone as a Sat Nav, via the Givi S110 cable wired to battery and S111 hub in a Givi tank bag (S620)which has viewing pouch on top. One review of the same set up said the phone wouldn't charge when used as a Sat Nav.
I have I have asked Givi and they think that may be because of the Canbus system. I think that because I will direct wire the S110 to the battery the Canbus shouldn't be an issue but I would welcome any comments or experiences before I buy the cable / hub.
I don't want to waste £60+ on cables that don't produce the right result and would rather not spend £400 on a dedicated Sat Nav.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Technically your iPhone doesn't receive the satellites last like most GPS receivers do.. but receive their navigation information via cell towers if that what your "Sat Nav" question refers too...

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
I have been using an old iPhone 4S as a navigation system for the last year. Just wired up one of those cig lighter USB supplies to power it. No problems keeping it charged.

Smartphones use all manner of information for navigation--cell towers, publicly known wi-fi networks, and GPS satellites. Satellites are more power consuming, but when I was in some pretty remote areas where there was no other source of location info, the phone still stayed charged as long as it was plugged in.

Haven't had much luck finding an app that meets my needs and wants, though. Rever is nice when it works (especially with offline maps), but it still seems like it's unfinished and needs further debugging before it's a product. InRoute (highly recommended by a BMW magazine a couple years ago) is limited, is completely dependent on having a cell signal, and seems to use the magnetic compass in the phone for direction info... which means oddly tilted displays at times. Maps.me is free and self-contained, but too limited to do much more than show me where I am so I can navigate with paper maps. I wish they made MapFactor Navigator for the iPhone, as it would be about perfect for my needs. I'm getting close to the point of buying a cheap Android phone and using it as a dedicated GPS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clay, it was in review of the Givi cables and hub. The reviewer gave the set up 1 out of 5 because he said the phone wouldn't charge whilst using the sat nav facility of his phone. Which app he was using he didn't say but I find it odd that an app would prevent the phone from charging. Givi suggested it could have been a fault with the phone which I tend to agree with.
I realise that a phone app may not be ideal but I have managed biking through Europe without any Sat Nav over the years and fancied trying using one (had one in car for years).
Tanks for the other info too folks

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If it ends up that the iPhone is not going to work out as you hoped you can do what I do on my other bike and purchase a cheap used Garmin Nuvi or other GPS off Ebay, I see 5" screen models for around $25 or cheaper always, they are extremely easy to power off the bike and work very well provided you don't get them wet, I throw mine in a pocket or case if it looks like rain.

I've tried using smartphones but they aren't to my liking on a motorcycle.

·
Survivor
681 Posts
My wife’s sister bought three cheap Nuvi Garmins thru Groupon about five years ago. I think she paid less than $100. She gave Spousal Unit one and she used it on her bikes for three + years. Used a sandwich bag for rain and was happy as a clam. I got her a 660 and have been using the Nuvi I’m my pick-up ever since.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If it ends up that the iPhone is not going to work out as you hoped you can do what I do on my other bike and purchase a cheap used Garmin Nuvi or other GPS off Ebay, I see 5" screen models for around $25 or cheaper always, they are extremely easy to power off the bike and work very well provided you don't get them wet, I throw mine in a pocket or case if it looks like rain.

I've tried using smartphones but they aren't to my liking on a motorcycle.
I've used the Navigon app for off the grid navigation while my iPhone is charging on my 2014 GS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will initially buy the two Givi leads / hub I originally mentioned as the hub will have several uses but do as recommended and buy a cheap Sat Nav and, as Jetspeed says, I can always put it in my pocket if I cant get a waterproof case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not 100% but doesn't the satnav/maps on iPhone etc chew through your data allowance ?

Ok for a few journeys, but not ideal for a long day/weekend tour etc.

Not sure about other apps like Waze etc.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would need to check that but perhaps it would be better to download maps first before heading off. I obviously haven't thought this through fully Chris !!!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Getting better

My biggest problem with using my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S8) is that it's not glove friendly and has a small display.
And all my other phones have had the same issue.
I've found when I'm within cell coverage just asking my iPhone for direction is getting better as voice recognition improves. I have a Sena 20 and pressing the phone button and asking Siri (google's better) for direction is working pretty good.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have used a Garmin 275 for years, cheap and have a waterproof case or it which makes ir waterproof. The problems with iphones here atleast in india is that when mounted exposed to the sun they heat up and shut down! Has happened multiple times with me.
Secondly the area we bike in there is no cell phone coverage

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would need to check that but perhaps it would be better to download maps first before heading off. I obviously haven't thought this through fully Chris !!!!
It's worth looking at. I'm sure to ate a load of my data on a manchester and back trip a few months ago. But I might have had Spotify playing also - who knows. Lol

I'm trying to decide whether to fork out for the Nav V or VI. Picking my GSA up on saturday week (if it turns up at the dealer!!). It's got the bracket fitted for Nav, seeing a blink panel will be irritating.

But is it £600+ worth of irritating ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been pondering getting a GPS. Phone (whether iphone or android) works great for some things, but has limitations :

- requires taking gloves off to do anything. And it is not rare for software to crash, or to have annoying popups or reasons that mean you have to stop to recover the navigation.
- Weather : heavy rain (although modern ones are less affected), overheating in the summer
- GPS lock : had phones work well, others were an absolute nightmare. Latest was pretty good up until recently, now getting GPS issues. Previous phone got binned after too much hassle regarding GPS lock.

On the plus side, phone is great for trafic, speeding cameras etc.

I think I'm going to go with both, at least for now, and bold the phone on the side of the GPS. Both phone and GPS could be complementary on long trips.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have not been on a long trip as of yet, but I will say I love using both the Garmin and my phone I use the Waze app. I have actually used the Waze app since it's start so i've been using it for quite a few years now and love it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have not been on a long trip as of yet, but I will say I love using both the Garmin and my phone I use the Waze app. I have actually used the Waze app since it's start so i've been using it for quite a few years now and love it.
Yeah it's the same here. It lacks (as most navigation apps) routing. It's very efficient on timing, trafic, speed cameras etc. But you can't tell it to go via specific places, or only chose an initial route. Hence the idea of having a traced itinerary on a tomtom or navigator, and in parallel, waze running, that will "recalculate" after every "wrong" turn you take.

·
Registered
298 Posts
“You do not need cellular reception to get a GPS lock - the iPhone includes a dedicated GPS receiver. If you are using an app that requires internet access to download maps data, you need an internet connection via an available wi-fi network or via the cellular network, but not for GPS reception alone.”

1 - 20 of 30 Posts