R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone tell me what causes this and how to fix it?
After riding my GS LC, after it has cooled overnight, there is a vacuum in the final drive shaft. See photo 1.
In the morning I loosen the rubber a bit and hear the air coming in.
Then everything is back to normal. See photo 2.
Any ideas ???

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, there is a vent, but it is not for the shaft. It is for the final drive.
I installed Touratech's Final Drive Vent Relocation Kit to help eliminate the possibility of sucking water into my final drive when it gets submerged in water.

If this vent could be contributing to the the OP's issue, the attached installation instructions from Touratech provide a good illustrations of where the vent is located.

In the factory position it would not take much to clog it up - and it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to pop it off an check it out. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for your reply. That vent is for the final drive, it has nothing to do with the drive shaft or the rubber seal. It is for releasing pressure build up in the final drive possibly when there is to much oil in it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Really interesting, never seen before. My only one physical explanation might be temperature difference. After riding when touch final drive is little bit warm. This is singn that rubber really good seal and there is no chance for water penetration. If bike is outside through the night ( temp drops with 10 or so degree down) and you park it with warm final drive, cooling of the air in the boot may cause this effect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really interesting, never seen before. My only one physical explanation might be temperature difference. After riding when touch final drive is little bit warm. This is singn that rubber really good seal and there is no chance for water penetration. If bike is outside through the night ( temp drops with 10 or so degree down) and you park it with warm final drive, cooling of the air in the boot may cause this effect.
Thx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be water in the swing arm and when hot creates vacuum drop FD clean inside and re grease Check the gaitor for holes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be water in the swing arm and when hot creates vacuum drop FD clean inside and re grease Check the gaitor for holes
Thx for the reply. I already did this before posting my question. The bike is second hand with 13000km on it. After opening it, everything looked brand new. No problem there. No water, no oil. I greased it, now that i opened it, doesnt hurt.
Afterwards it still had that same behavior. This rubber just seales to good. Maybe i should not have used grease to seal the rubber with the shaft.
What i will do when i am alowed to ride again (corona limitations) is not to put the bike on the center stand in the evening. On other fora we came to the conclusion to let it just wear out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The same question was asked on the bug ADV site and the big opening in the bottom of the swingarm debunks the vacuum theory. Its an impossibility to create a vacuum at this boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, thanks for your answer. I know there are ‘holes’. :)
I also asked this question an adventure rider. At first there are people who say it is impossible because of the hole/openening at the bottom. I know they are trying to help but at the same time i also know they totally do not know how everything works / is sealed. To my luck there are also people who do know how it works and that is how we concluded the vacuum will disappear overtime when the rubber / seals wear a bit.
Here is the link.

Thx

So to me this thread can be closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The same question was asked on the bug ADV site and the big opening in the bottom of the swingarm debunks the vacuum theory. Its an impossibility to create a vacuum at this boot.
Hi, thanks for your answer. I know there are ‘holes’. :)
I also asked this question an adventure rider. At first there are people who say it is impossible because of the hole/openening at the bottom. I know they are trying to help but at the same time i also know they totally do not know how everything works / is sealed. To my luck there are also people who do know how it works and that is how we concluded the vacuum will disappear overtime when the rubber / seals wear a bit.
Here is the link.

Thx

So to me this thread can be closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts