R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to directly wire a Valentine One radar detector that I use in my car onto my 1250GSA. It's loud enough, bright enough and within my direct sight line that I wont need to bluetooth the alerts to my helmet.

·
Registered
828 Posts
how do you have it mounted? Looks like a sun hood on your gps and then glued? to that? and how does the V1 attach?
FWIW, I used to have my V1 mounted on my previous bikes, a 2004 rr and a 2009 rr. I did not mount it on my GS because I just didn't find it very useful. I realized as I got older I was riding more slowly, like ~~ 5mph > limit and just didn't need the extra theft temptation. Only got one ticket in the past few years and that was a BS ticket in Clear Lake Iowa. Speed limit "changed" without signage. Got 41 in a 35. Total BS

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I MacGuivered a mount using a GPS sun shade, a GoPro tripod mount, plexi discs and velcro discs. I'll probably add a small bungee band over the top of the radar detector for security.

·
Survivor
726 Posts
I’ve been running a V1 on my bikes for 7-8 years. On my GSA I have it mounted behind the left side wind deflector. It won’t detect laser in this position, but I have never detected laser before and it still has excellent range for radar detection.

D0EB79AA-6DF7-4834-A51E-720E620CF47D.jpeg

It sits on a magnetic holder.

3527CE09-B8DB-4CD9-85EC-83E343473052.jpeg

The V1 is covered by an ABS box that I made. It affords a bit of rain protection as well as disguising the detector to the casual observer. The small bungee cord virtually eliminates vibration

B92B88DC-FDDE-4423-A3C7-9B1AD9F63240.jpeg

The concealed display and remote audio control ride on top of the GPS sun shade in small boxes of their own. The Marc Parnes LED alert is mounted under the shade where is very visible even on sunny days. The alerts are in my line of sight and always quickly seen.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Buggers here in India they started using a camera....its a biggish camera on a tripod. They record you and send the ticket home. The radar detector doesnt even pick it up.
Any solution to this?

·
Survivor
726 Posts
Photo radar still uses radar (normally Ka band), but at very low strength and aimed to give minimal warning. Your problem may be you have a weak detector.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Photo radar still uses radar (normally Ka band), but at very low strength and aimed to give minimal warning. Your problem may be you have a weak detector.
Would you recommend something good please....just got zapped a few days ago....I have a few years old cobra radar detector.....
Speed limits are pathetic.....we are allowed 45kmph

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would you recommend something good please....just got zapped a few days ago....I have a few years old cobra radar detector.....
Speed limits are pathetic.....we are allowed 45kmph
Valentine One makes some of the best in the industry. I've been using one in my M5 for years and never got a ticket. Now I got the new Gen 2 and I can swap it from vehicle to vehicle in a minute.

·
Survivor
726 Posts
The Valentine One is an excellent detector (the best that I know of) and has the advantage of being upgradeable. Mine is nearly 8 years old and is still current beause I've sent it in for an upgrade twice. There is a great deal of general knowledge about radar detectors on the V1 site. (Radar and Laser Detectors | Valentine One | Radar Detectors). If you get one, then I suggest you also get the concealed display and remote audio control.

Another decent detector is made by Adaptive Technologies (Adaptiv Technologies). It is made specifically for motorcycles and Is waterproof. It works quite well, Spousal Unit has one on her GS. It is not as effective as the V1 in filtering out bogus alerts but that is probably because it is nearly 5 years old and running 5 year old technology; it is not upgradeable. It comes with a remote LED alert.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks Enzo and Ptero....so the valentine will work with the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras?
I was not aware that the cameras will also use a radar

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, but with limitations. Speed trap and stop light cameras operate on the K & Ka band.
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.33 AM.png

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used that set up on my Triumph and liked it a lot.

Now, Waze is pretty good at updating police activity in the area. (Definitely not perfect!)

81887722-7861-42FC-8DF5-6D6B7A43CD63.jpeg
C6A6AE79-8EB7-469B-9C05-B45D85BA63F8.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts