R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done the valve checkk on a 1250gs? is it the same procedure as the 1200?
also, is there another forum for the 1250's?

·
2019 R1250 GSA
184 Posts
I know this thread is about the valve check. That's why I asked if you had checked out the other forum. I see more folks talking about valve check/adjustments on the other forum than on this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone done the valve checkk on a 1250gs? is it the same procedure as the 1200?
also, is there another forum for the 1250's?
This is for the 1200-LC:
You can look up my brief exchange with the author there...
The procedure with the 1250's shift cam is essentially the same, as the two pairs of lobes (instead of single lobes in the 1200GS-LC) don't enter the picture, the clearance is checked on the opposite side of the cam, i.e. with the lobes (one or two) turned away from the valve stem. I am not 100% sure if the spec of the 1200 (135+/-35 microns for intake and 375+/-35 for exhaust) is the same for the 1250 but I think(!) it should be the case.
But my main point is this: On the old 1200GS I used to have, the valve gap check was recommended less frequently (I think every 25k instead of 12k miles), and even then it was always "in spec" including at 83k miles when I sold it, so I think it's just a money making opportunity for the service ppl, with probably 99% of cases of 12k valve checking (and often probably also for 24k miles and later) coming back being "fine" (especially if the engine also runs fine and has been used under average conditions), but you pay $360 for them just looking!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts